Body Wars 2016 Update

ABQ

horizons_entrance.jpg

The sign was further back, it seems, probably about where the fancy hardscaping outside MS is now. Looks like the big topiary was in the planter, or another planter, or all this is long gone now.

Brad Bishop

WHY DO THEY LEAVE THIS EMPTY TO ROT AS F&G and F&W STORAGE?????

UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

View attachment 154223

It's something unique to Disney. They shut down an attraction or restaurant and just leave it for a decade or more:
- 20,000 Leagues
- Odyssey Restaurant
- Wonders of Life
- Millenium Building
- Skyride
- Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant
- Golden Horseshoe

Sort of along the same bizarre lines, temporary structures seem to live far longer than originally intended:
- Wand
- Hat
- "temporary" Permanent Stage at DHS that is there most of the year

The only times I can think of where an attraction sat around unused for years are things like:
- Drachen Fire @ Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Timber Tower @ Dollywood

Both of these were dealing with litigation before they were torn down as I remember it. I kind of get that. In non-Disney parks if they close a restaurant they typically open it up as something new the next year. If they close a ride they just tear it down and typically replace it with something better the next year.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's something unique to Disney. They shut down an attraction or restaurant and just leave it for a decade or more:
- 20,000 Leagues
- Odyssey Restaurant
- Wonders of Life
- Millenium Building
- Skyride
- Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant
- Golden Horseshoe

Sort of along the same bizarre lines, temporary structures seem to live far longer than originally intended:
- Wand
- Hat
- "temporary" Permanent Stage at DHS that is there most of the year

The only times I can think of where an attraction sat around unused for years are things like:
- Drachen Fire @ Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Timber Tower @ Dollywood

Both of these were dealing with litigation before they were torn down as I remember it. I kind of get that. In non-Disney parks if they close a restaurant they typically open it up as something new the next year. If they close a ride they just tear it down and typically replace it with something better the next year.
There is nothing all that unique about. It might be somewhat unusual for a theme park, but for the world in general, you don't tear something down until you know what you are going to do with the space.

Odyssey, WoL, the Millennium Building, TL Terrace and the GH all saw seasonal and/or special event usage and still do to this day.

The buildings for the skyride were it great shape and did not look bad in the slightest so there is no reason to clean the slate until something else was going to go in their place. They served as scenery while they sat there.

About the only real anomaly was 20k as that cost a metric crap ton to keep up as nothing more than an attractive water feature.

Wdwsince86

Curious if anyone has seen this video? No audio, but it’s a very thorough look at body wars and imageworks from around 2015 or 2016... before the DVC lounge in imageworks. It shows all four simulator bays starting at around 2:25. You can either click the link or search YouTube for “cotguy86”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom