Body Wars 2016 Update

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

I disagree with that applying to WoL. WoL was a terrible idea for a pavilion to begin with. That doesn't mean there weren't one or two well-done things about it, but it just was not well thought-out long term. It was a hodge-podge at best, and never felt terribly permanent to begin with. Body Wars was a cheap way to reuse the Star Tours tech they spent so much developing, and almost felt like Soarin' - that they could change some signage and the theme at any time. I went on Body Wars the last time it ran, and there were like 3 CM's running the entire ride (and I'm including an invisible one in the control room). I could list a dozen more reasons - but I don't think it was simply a matter of "too many staff needed".
I pretty much agree if you talk about Body Wars in isolation, but I meant it relative to WoL as a whole. There was quite a substantial staff in that building, as I recall.

brb1006

I've used the 82 blueprints of the IW in my forthcoming video ;)

Often blueprints are left just lying around. There was a whole set of Canada ones in the attic space of Le Cellier. And a lot lying around Food Rocks.

Apparently.
I hope you bring up the Figment comics in the new Imagination video. I hope you got a chance to buy the hard covered versions.

brb1006

I can't wait to see that! Anything Body Wars or Wonders of Life seems to be attracting more attention now. Still sad they let it rot. But random eBay and Amazon items from it are still out there.
That Pavilion needs a breath of fresh air someday.

brb1006

especially knowing some of it's history
1984%20Lynn%20Goldsmith_Michael%20Jackson_0068.jpg
And this
hKHHbon.jpg

Goofyernmost

I disagree with that applying to WoL. WoL was a terrible idea for a pavilion to begin with. That doesn't mean there weren't one or two well-done things about it, but it just was not well thought-out long term. It was a hodge-podge at best, and never felt terribly permanent to begin with. Body Wars was a cheap way to reuse the Star Tours tech they spent so much developing, and almost felt like Soarin' - that they could change some signage and the theme at any time. I went on Body Wars the last time it ran, and there were like 3 CM's running the entire ride (and I'm including an invisible one in the control room). I could list a dozen more reasons - but I don't think it was simply a matter of "too many staff needed".
Back up the Star Ship friend. How did Body Wars use Star Tours tech several years before Star Tours ever even existed. Seems to me that Star Tours was the thief in this one. At one point, I think there were three bays for Body Wars each one had at least three CM loading and unloading as well as directing to locations. Maybe toward the end they weren't running all three bays. I really don't know. I'm sure that was a factor, especially if no one was going to it, but, the real CM presence was in the center area where all the little shows were.

Goofyernmost

Star Tours opened in 1987 in Disneyland.
Didn't know that, however, I still don't understand what the hell difference it makes. Should there be an absolutely never used system for every single ride ever created? I guess I just don't see the problem. If the system works for the ride, shouldn't it be used. Even though I don't agree with the idea I can almost understand the upset about there being a Star Tours in both places, but, even that is a lame thing, so, I guess I'll just move on.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Didn't know that, however, I still don't understand what the hell difference it makes. Should there be an absolutely never used system for every single ride ever created? I guess I just don't see the problem. If the system works for the ride, shouldn't it be used. Even though I don't agree with the idea I can almost understand the upset about there being a Star Tours in both places, but, even that is a lame thing, so, I guess I'll just move on.

No, I agree with you. Nothing wrong with using a ride system if it works for the theme. I really wish I got to ride Body Wars. Shrinking attractions are always interesting.

Goofyernmost

No, I agree with you. Nothing wrong with using a ride system if it works for the theme. I really wish I got to ride Body Wars. Shrinking attractions are always interesting.
I will tell the truth, the first time I rode Body Wars I was amazed. I am fortunate that I have never been affected by motion sickness like some were, but, it was just mind boggling to me. Admittedly, at the time, although a 43 year old adult, I didn't get out much and was totally impressed with the technology.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I will tell the truth, the first time I rode Body Wars I was amazed. I am fortunate that I have never been affected by motion sickness like some were, but, it was just mind boggling to me. Admittedly, at the time, although a 43 year old adult, I didn't get out much and was totally impressed with the technology.

Body wars was born from the desire since the late 70s for a journey through the body ride. The Incredible Journey Within was an omnimover but WED couldn't develop full sized mechanical props of body parts to function reliably. Fast forward to 1985 when WED saw the Reddifusion flight simulator and bought the concept for Star Tours. The plausibility for flight through fluid as well as space was seen and Body Wars was developed.

The four bays of BW had a unashamedly similar design to Star Tours - the pavilion certainly wasn't a cheap one - but one unexpected side effect was more a more nauseating effect as the sims ran their programmed rolling and softly slopping simulation of being in fluid as opposed to the more defined, hard motions of the Star Wars ride.

HMF

It was MUCH rougher than Star Tours. I personally don't have good memories regarding Wonders of Life which is why while it is a shame that it closed I can't get too worked up about it, like I can for many other parts of Epcot. What happened to Horizons, though I never rode it seems like a far bigger crime to me. especially seeing as how lackluster Mission Space ended up and I could talk for hours about what they did to Spaceship Earth in 2007.(Though I will concede it was better than what could have happened.)

Goofyernmost

Body wars was born from the desire since the late 70s for a journey through the body ride. The Incredible Journey Within was an omnimover but WED couldn't develop full sized mechanical props of body parts to function reliably. Fast forward to 1985 when WED saw the Reddifusion flight simulator and bought the concept for Star Tours. The plausibility for flight through fluid as well as space was seen and Body Wars was developed.

The four bays of BW had a unashamedly similar design to Star Tours - the pavilion certainly wasn't a cheap one - but one unexpected side effect was more a more nauseating effect as the sims ran their programmed rolling and softly slopping simulation of being in fluid as opposed to the more defined, hard motions of the Star Wars ride.
I have to admit that after riding that ride so many times I cannot begin to count, I never saw one person get sick. That doesn't mean that they weren't close to being so, but, as I said, I never witnessed a single incident of actual sickness. It was rougher then Star Tours though. I order of mildness to intense in the Orlando area. The mildest was Star Tours, followed by Body Wars, but, the over all super winner was Back to the Future in Universal. That one could knock your socks off. Still loved it though except for that one time when there was a maintenance crew working below the screen. They left the outside door open and if you looked over the edge of the ride vehicle you could see them and the bright light coming through the door. That kind of distracted from the ride a little. In fairness, I saw the same thing on the GMR once, in the room that had the radio towers broadcasting Willard Scott, I think it was. But we were sitting still at the time.

Currently we don't have Body Wars anymore, Back to the Future replaced by possibly the worst simulator ride ever, that being the Simpsons and Star Tour which also seems to be heading toward the light. I just hope that someplace there is at least one "good" simulator ride like those and Simpsons is not the one.

c-one

I am tempted to say that version of simulator is simply outdated -- the Soarin/Avatar system, the hybrid dark ride system, maybe even the King Kong model have rendered it obsolete. I was really surprised to see that the Iron Man ride in HKDL used this tech. Not sure how the DisneySea Nemo ride compares and if it's a more high tech update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom