Bob Weis to replace Bruce Vaughn as head of Walt Disney Imagineering

WDW1974

Bob Weis to replace. Oh @WDW1974

Oh,yeah!!!

Sorry, but I was too busy eating and drinking today to respond, but woke up to the news and ... so many thoughts -- the most important being this IS a very good move for WDI, likely its best in over a decade. At the very least, a self important little schmuck who used all sorts of unethical behaviour to rise in the ranks (yeah, looking at you Brucie) is gone from 1401 Flower.

But I also have two working theories as to how this went down and why and have sent multiple queries to folks in the know (or more in the know). I'm going to give it the weekend before placing my thoughts out there, but my fans will love my top theory right now because it strikes at the heart of The Weatherman and his huge failings in Shanghai. ...

Thoughts to come ....

asianway

Original Poster
Oh,yeah!!!

Sorry, but I was too busy eating and drinking today to respond, but woke up to the news and ... so many thoughts -- the most important being this IS a very good move for WDI, likely its best in over a decade. At the very least, a self important little schmuck who used all sorts of unethical behaviour to rise in the ranks (yeah, looking at you Brucie) is gone from 1401 Flower.

But I also have two working theories as to how this went down and why and have sent multiple queries to folks in the know (or more in the know). I'm going to give it the weekend before placing my thoughts out there, but my fans will love my top theory right now because it strikes at the heart of The Weatherman and his huge failings in Shanghai. ...

Thoughts to come ....
::conjuring thoughts of the supercomputer in the SpiritCave::

Malin

A reply is not always a rebuttal. Your point about Friday being a time to try and bury news was added to; by showing how the attempt 1) was not effective and 2) past executive reshuffles have been able to occur without notice.
How can you say it's not been effected? Except for these message boards are people at the NY Times still bothered or interested in this news. No because it broke on the Weekend. This is what Disney does when it fires or replaces execs and it has been doing this for a long time. Also it appears clearly by your own admission that it seems to work.
And I'm not even going to respond to 2) since it really has no substance to the original point I made and just further contradicts your own comments. Although if you wish to continue to be argumentative towards the issue you better stop giving half comments. Because I'm just left asking if you really know what you are talking about or just want to argue with the big boys in a desperate way to become important around these boards ;)

Stevek

Hopefully means some exciting movements for DCL though!? Or will she be focusing her attention on Cali's disney springs and then Paris post 25th anniversary and then onto DCL?!

Wait, wut? Cali's Disney Springs? Did I miss something?

TP2000

Wait, wut? Cali's Disney Springs? Did I miss something?

Yup, read the last Miceage article. A Disney Springs style makeover for Downtown Disney Anaheim is coming sooner rather than later. A big tenant shakeup is on the way too, in addition to the cosmetic changes in Anaheim.

About time too, after lavish lifestyle malls in SoCal like The Grove and Pacific City and The Americana left Downtown Disney Anaheim in the dust a decade ago. What seemed hip and fun when it opened in 2001 seems tired and predictable in 2016.

the.dreamfinder

I think they are referring to the micechat article a while back that TDA was looking at ways of updating their Downtown Disney.

Yup, read the last Miceage article. A Disney Springs style makeover for Downtown Disney Anaheim is coming sooner rather than later. A big tenant shakeup is on the way too, in addition to the cosmetic changes in Anaheim.

About time too, after lavish lifestyle malls in SoCal like The Grove and Pacific City and The Americana left Downtown Disney Anaheim in the dust a decade ago. What seemed hip and fun when it opened in 2001 seems tired and predictable in 2016.
Text from said article here:
http://micechat.com/116178-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-star-wars/
Downtown Disney Springs
Ever since Parks Chairman Bob Chapek arrived last February, the parks had been waiting for Bob to start installing his favorite executives from his old Consumer Products and Disney Store empire, and Christie is the first high profile move from Bob Chapek. The conventional wisdom within TDA is that Michael Colglazier will bide his time for another year or so until a suitable lateral move or promotion can be carved out for him in Burbank or Orlando, and then Mary Niven will slot into Michael’s role as President. That will leave Mary’s spot open, and Christie can then regain her old Senior Vice President title and begin to expand her power base as one of Bob’s own people from Consumer Products.

This empty spot between Tortilla Joe’s and House of Blues was originally supposed to be a DisneyQuest.

Moving Christie into the VP role for DCA and Downtown Disney will be important in 2016 as Downtown Disney embarks on a major plan to remodel and repurpose the 15 year old mall and remake it into a West Coast version of WDW’s newly opened Disney Springs complex. With the House of Blues closing in January, and that large expansion plot directly north of House of Blues that’s never been built on, the time is right to give the entire Downtown Disney complex a cosmetic reskin and a rethink on the mall’s tenant mix.

Christie has worked for Disney’s Consumer Products and Disney Store group for over eight years in a variety of executive jobs focused on branding and merchandising, and she became the Senior Vice President of Retail Development there almost two years ago. Before she joined Disney in 2007, Christie had merchandise manager jobs at several different apparel companies. She of course has an MBA, from USC’s Marshall School.

Fancy executive titles are plentiful at Disney’s Consumer Products division, with over a dozen lowly Vice Presidents reporting to a gaggle of Senior VP’s and Executive VP’s. The mere VP’s have literally dozens of Directors reporting to them, each with battalions of Managers and Senior Managers working with Chinese factories to bring the latest branded t-shirts and plastic toys to a Disney Store or big box emporium near you. The executive org chart is much slimmer and sleeker in Anaheim, so Christie may be getting a demotion in title but it’s a job that has real meaning and importance in the Parks & Resorts division.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Recent events have been more about trying to set the house straight. Avatarland is hugely over budget - like fastpass plus percentage - and it's no secret that this hasn't gone down very well. As you can imagine. The kids of WDI who wouldn't know an E ticket if it bit em got sent back to school with SWL so hopefully someone like Weis can try to demonstrate to them what Imagineering can do. Now they just need to sort of the ridiculous cost of a WDI project.

Good maybe they can take a page from Uni actually as well (in terms of speed to produce something big and new)

BrerJon

Good maybe they can take a page from Uni actually as well (in terms of speed to produce something big and new)

Are the parks contractually obliged to use WDI? Seeing as they seem to have few new ideas, everything they produce is pretty average compared to their rivals, costs the earth, takes years to build... what would stop a ballsy executive from going straight to the contractors who design and build Universal attractions, and skipping WDI altogether until they get their act together?

Stevek

All for the changes. They've apparently done a great job so far in Florida.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Are the parks contractually obliged to use WDI? Seeing as they seem to have few new ideas, everything they produce is pretty average compared to their rivals, costs the earth, takes years to build... what would stop a ballsy executive from going straight to the contractors who design and build Universal attractions, and skipping WDI altogether until they get their act together?

I was under the impression they had a good number of employees in common (at various times.)

lazyboy97o

Those vendors already work for Disney and you'd still need someone to be the creative head. Guys who are just fine letting show quality be done away with aren't going to ask for something amazing.

note2001

I just read a tweet from another site that states Joe Rhode is now franchise leader for all WDI Marvel projects. Is this report valid? If so, I'm excited, and a bit curious about how he'll handle this ... marvel universe is very different from his other (awesome) work.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I just read a tweet from another site that states Joe Rhode is now franchise leader for all WDI Marvel projects. Is this report valid? If so, I'm excited, and a bit curious about how he'll handle this ... marvel universe is very different from his other (awesome) work.
I thought that we already knew that, unless it was speculation that is now being confirmed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom