News Bob Iger Steps Down - Bob Chapek CEO

lazyboy97o

Perusing various social media, I'm a little surprised by how many people think this change will materially impact parks operations.

Somehow Iger became something of a "teflon Bob" amongst park fans, even though virtually all of the major complaints people have today are rooted in decisions he was responsible for.
Iger greatest ability by far has been his ability to shape the narrative and rewrite history even as it happens.

TP2000

How are you liking Utah so far?

Loving it! I've been driving around running errands in the mornings, just soaking it all in and getting the lay of the land. Everyone is so polite and friendly! People smile! Everything is so clean and well cared for! Drivers wave hello at stop signs! I haven't seen a single homeless person or meth addict yelling at clouds or birds! It's like the modern 21st century mixed with 1982, and it's heavenly.

That, and a good set of friends who can mix a decent drink on festive occasions, are all I need.

TP2000

Perusing various social media, I'm a little surprised by how many people think this change will materially impact parks operations.

Somehow Iger became something of a "teflon Bob" amongst park fans, even though virtually all of the major complaints people have today are rooted in decisions he was responsible for.

Iger greatest ability by far has been his ability to shape the narrative and rewrite history even as it happens.

I agree with both of those points.

But I think also at play here is the ill-informed belief that the Parks are what Burbank execs focus on. They aren't. The Parks are merely ATM's for Burbank execs, tucked away in unstylish towns where unstylish people go to dump their money into corporate coffers like the silly rubes that they are.

And when a non-park exec gets shuffled off to head up one of the Parks locations, they literally grit their teeth through plastic Instagram-worthy smiles and plot with their Life Coach on how to get the hell out of there fast. Like this one...

EJHEoBAXUAMOhVt-500x625.jpeg

The Parks are the cash-flow generators for all the far more stylish and hip divisions in Burbank. Studios, Streaming, Merchandising, or anything really where you can take the entire week of Thanksgiving off without anyone caring.

The Parks are the dirty backroom where the money gets made and counted and redistributed. Parks fans think that Burbank cares for them and values them, but they're wrong. The Parks get investment or attention only when corporate needs to keep the dirty backroom fed with more cash flow.

Amusement parks for the tacky middle classes who eat too many carbs? Gross. 🤢

SuddenStorm

Loving it! I've been driving around running errands in the mornings, just soaking it all in and getting the lay of the land. Everyone is so polite and friendly! People smile! Everything is so clean and well cared for! Drivers wave hello at stop signs! I haven't seen a single homeless person or meth addict yelling at clouds or birds! It's like the modern 21st century mixed with 1982, and it's heavenly.

That, and a good set of friends who can mix a decent drink on festive occasions, are all I need.

When I first moved out here for school a while back I was like this is gonna be a very temporary situation, I'm back to California as soon as I have my degree.

But when you graduate in 2020, and have a decent job in Utah with decent career prospects, and an excellent and very affordable living situation... the move back to California never actually happened.

And now I have a dentist. A mechanic. A tailor. A gym membership. A decent social circle. Regular extended family dinners. It's scary... my life has more roots here than it does in California!

I will say things get a bit dull out here in January, when winter is in full swing but Christmas is over. And since I've never been skiing (and don't want to start because if I love it... it's not a cheap hobby) there's not a ton going on. But that's what Park City, Saint George, and Vegas are for! Ha!

Be sure to do the touristy Salt Lake City stuff at some point. It's hit or miss but it's nice to see what the city has to offer. This Pass makes it very inexpensive to work through Salt Lake City's touristy highlights.

And if you're into theater- Hale Centre Theatre in Sandy is far better than it has any right to be- the productions are top notch and there's not a bad seat in the house. The company that designed the automation for this theater did the automation for the DCA Frozen theater- but I guess Hale had a far healthier budget and as one Senior Stage Manager at DCA put it- 'Hale makes our theater look like a high school auditorium'. And the they put on a Hale of a good show jokes write themselves.

mickEblu

I believe it’s called “the lesser of two evils.”

PiratesMansion

People truly have goldfish memories and/or a desire to shift all the blame on Chapek no matter what.

Just saw a post about how maybe the Disney Store will come back because Iger is back. Just want to go on there and be like Guys....do the math. If it happened at all before February 2020, Iger was there and absolutely part of it.

shambolicdefending

When I first moved out here for school a while back I was like this is gonna be a very temporary situation, I'm back to California as soon as I have my degree.

But when you graduate in 2020, and have a decent job in Utah with decent career prospects, and an excellent and very affordable living situation... the move back to California never actually happened.

And now I have a dentist. A mechanic. A tailor. A gym membership. A decent social circle. Regular extended family dinners. It's scary... my life has more roots here than it does in California!

I will say things get a bit dull out here in January, when winter is in full swing but Christmas is over. And since I've never been skiing (and don't want to start because if I love it... it's not a cheap hobby) there's not a ton going on. But that's what Park City, Saint George, and Vegas are for! Ha!

Be sure to do the touristy Salt Lake City stuff at some point. It's hit or miss but it's nice to see what the city has to offer. This Pass makes it very inexpensive to work through Salt Lake City's touristy highlights.

And if you're into theater- Hale Centre Theatre in Sandy is far better than it has any right to be- the productions are top notch and there's not a bad seat in the house. The company that designed the automation for this theater did the automation for the DCA Frozen theater- but I guess Hale had a far healthier budget and as one Senior Stage Manager at DCA put it- 'Hale makes our theater look like a high school auditorium'. And the they put on a Hale of a good show jokes write themselves.
Wife and I have deep roots in Utah, California, and now Texas where we've been for the last decade.

We love all three places for what they are, but California is just... a lot to deal with. Sort of like Disneyland in a way, actually. Eventually the costs outweigh the slowly shrinking benefits.

Utah in the summer and fall is really hard to beat if you are even slightly inclined to enjoy nature, and it's a wonderland in the winter if you ever get comfortable with a pair of skis.

truecoat

So, Chapek was trying to cook the books with the Disney+ loss. Premiering shows meant for D+ on the Disney Channel to move production costs away from D+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, Chapek was trying to cook the books with the Disney+ loss. Premiering shows meant for D+ on the Disney Channel to move production costs away from D+.
<shrug>

They still have to produce shows for the cable channels lest the carriers drop them from their packaging.

Eventually, all linear shows will be archived on D+, just like eventually, all theatrical releases will wind up on D+.

The problem is: Should D+ just be an archival repository, or have it's own exclusively new content that bypasses the money it could have made in theaters or with cable advertising? Disney has to feed three beasts with new content.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
<shrug>

They still have to produce shows for the cable channels lest the carriers drop them from their packaging.

Eventually, all linear shows will be archived on D+, just like eventually, all theatrical releases will wind up on D+.

The problem is: Should D+ just be an archival repository, or have it's own exclusively new content that bypasses the money it could have made in theaters or with cable advertising? Disney has to feed three beasts with new content.
You would think they could:

1. Create a set content that gets simultaneously released on D Ch and D+ to share the costs.
2. Create a set of exclusive content for both, but the D Ch content will eventually make it onto D+ after many months but the D+ content won't go to D Ch. So all content no matter the release exclusivity will make it to D+ eventually.
3. Create an ad model for D+, oh wait they are doing that.

D Ch viewership is down, partially because of D+. So in the long run they should worry less about D Ch and more about D+ anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom