News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
This reminds me of the great Magic Band fiasco. I followed this story closely as my SIL found himself in the same situation with a major company. The Magic Band technology was really cutting edge at the time. The IT staff developed something that had never been done before: Tickets, room key, reservation all on one wrist band. Rolled out in 2013. Literally the month it was rolled out, the entire staff was called into a meeting (all thinking to get congratulations and bonuses). Instead they were informed they were all being let go, AND if they wanted the severance package they had to sign an agreement to train their replacements. As it turned out just about all the replacements were H1B1 Visa holders, at salaries that were pennies on a dollar the existing employees were paid. One problem, H1B1 Visa holders are supposed to be workers on jobs where qualified workers could not be found. Since these new workers were taking the place of current employees, what Disney did was illegal, or at least that is what the law suite that followed stated. This is when the story went cold, I kept trying to follow up to see how this all ended, but nothing. All I could surmise was that Disney realized they were going to lose and made a massive settlement with non disclosure agreements. So how did my SIL fare. His company saw what happened to Disney, so they closed their entire IT and outsourced the whole department. The fact the company they outsourced with had mostly H1B1 Visa's did not matter since the company itself did not hire them. Three years later the company slowly re built their IT department, you guessed it, using mostly H1B1 Visa holders. I never have trusted upper management in any company I have ever worked for and never will.
This is where the actual border problem is

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So the first round should goose the stock a little and then they can say nice forward thinking platitudes on the call and that should get a little more, if it bounces enough it might be a good place to bail. How long can Bob play at this?
Gee…I bet there’s no coincidence on the timing for a guy that’s been thoroughly ineffective, huh?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How much of this will affect the parks? It wasn’t long ago that Disney cut 30,000 jobs from covid. From my understanding they are still struggling to fill leadership roles due to many not returning after those layoffs took place. You also have an entire water park that appears it’s going to be closed for the summer, most likely due to staffing issues.
I think you have a lot of details twisted up here…

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
How much of this will affect the parks? It wasn’t long ago that Disney cut 30,000 jobs from covid. From my understanding they are still struggling to fill leadership roles due to many not returning after those layoffs took place. You also have an entire water park that appears it’s going to be closed for the summer, most likely due to staffing issues.
The hourly park roles which were the majority of the covid layoffs will not be affected. The parks are horribly short staffed right now, and they'll likely continue hiring for these roles while layoff off salaried professional CMs.

TP2000

A lot of negativity lately.

Can we get @MisterPenguin in here to post his usual charts showing that everything is going great?

Would this chart help?

A Long Slide.jpg

Tha Realest

It’s also been reported that Lindelof is off of the next Star Wars film, and Kevin Feige’s project is also likely dead.

Maybe a house cleaning over at Lucasfilm, unless they have a bottomless pit of money to throw at unrealized development deals and costly reshoots.

Lilofan

Report from Deadline on the upcoming layoffs.

"With Disney’s April 3 shareholder meeting — a virtual affair this year — less than two weeks away, some clarity is emerging about the company’s plans to reduce staff and cut costs.

Insiders tell Deadline that multiple rounds of cuts are being prepared. The first one is being targeted for next week, we hear. (March 30 or 31 have been floated as possible dates, but that has not been confirmed.) According to sources, there will be a big wave in late April, described as “the big one” or a “bloodbath,” when a large portion of the cuts are expected to come.

Information varies on a potential third round of layoffs. Some say it might come between the one in late March and the one in late April, while others note that it could follow the one in late April if it’s deemed necessary. Disney declined to comment."

-----

"Following his promise to investors, Iger is determined to make a “statement” in the coming weeks, one insider says.

The cuts are expected to be spread across the company’s three divisions, Entertainment, ESPN and Parks, Experiences and Products, with marketing and distribution — including the disbanded Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution unit — among the business areas ripe for consolidation. Virtually every part of the sprawling Entertainment division is expected to be impacted in a meaningful way. There have been rumors about potential significant cuts at Hulu as well as sister studios ABC Signature and 20th Television, both on the business and content side. Despite rampant speculation about the two major TV studios potentially merging operations in some form, that still does not appear to be imminent.

ESPN, which is now its own distinct corporate division, also is being scrutinized. While it has thinned its ranks in recent years as pay-TV distribution has fallen from a peak of 100 million households in 2011 to about 74 million, the sports power at the same time is confronting a steady rise in rights fees. Stephen A. Smith, one of ESPN’s top personalities, recently noted that the network is “going to have cuts coming.” He addressed the topic on a recent episode of his podcast, Know Mercy, which is produced outside of Disney by Audacy’s Cadence13. “Hell, for all I know, I might be one of them,” mused Smith, who reportedly makes more than $13 million a year for hosting First Take, among many other roles. “Now, I doubt that. But it’s possible. No one knows.”"

Full article below.

May be some upcoming future residential real estate for sale offerings in Central Florida.

Disstevefan1

Report from Deadline on the upcoming layoffs.

"With Disney’s April 3 shareholder meeting — a virtual affair this year — less than two weeks away, some clarity is emerging about the company’s plans to reduce staff and cut costs.

Insiders tell Deadline that multiple rounds of cuts are being prepared. The first one is being targeted for next week, we hear. (March 30 or 31 have been floated as possible dates, but that has not been confirmed.) According to sources, there will be a big wave in late April, described as “the big one” or a “bloodbath,” when a large portion of the cuts are expected to come.

Information varies on a potential third round of layoffs. Some say it might come between the one in late March and the one in late April, while others note that it could follow the one in late April if it’s deemed necessary. Disney declined to comment."

-----

"Following his promise to investors, Iger is determined to make a “statement” in the coming weeks, one insider says.

The cuts are expected to be spread across the company’s three divisions, Entertainment, ESPN and Parks, Experiences and Products, with marketing and distribution — including the disbanded Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution unit — among the business areas ripe for consolidation. Virtually every part of the sprawling Entertainment division is expected to be impacted in a meaningful way. There have been rumors about potential significant cuts at Hulu as well as sister studios ABC Signature and 20th Television, both on the business and content side. Despite rampant speculation about the two major TV studios potentially merging operations in some form, that still does not appear to be imminent.

ESPN, which is now its own distinct corporate division, also is being scrutinized. While it has thinned its ranks in recent years as pay-TV distribution has fallen from a peak of 100 million households in 2011 to about 74 million, the sports power at the same time is confronting a steady rise in rights fees. Stephen A. Smith, one of ESPN’s top personalities, recently noted that the network is “going to have cuts coming.” He addressed the topic on a recent episode of his podcast, Know Mercy, which is produced outside of Disney by Audacy’s Cadence13. “Hell, for all I know, I might be one of them,” mused Smith, who reportedly makes more than $13 million a year for hosting First Take, among many other roles. “Now, I doubt that. But it’s possible. No one knows.”"

Full article below.

When this doesn't help, can we pin this on Iger?

djkidkaz

Adobe just released a very detailed consumer study showing how higher priced goods/brands are being dumped and lower end are gaining as money tightens…

Across all sectors/categories…

…I can’t think of any companies off the top of my head that could be bad for🤔

I just spent $29 at McDonald’s for a happy meal and a couple burgers and fries. The “lower end” brands aren’t much better than “higher end” brands at this moment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just spent $29 at McDonald’s for a happy meal and a couple burgers and fries. The “lower end” brands aren’t much better than “higher end” brands at this moment.
They are when people are running out of money and that is happening across the board.

But I agree…that sucks too.

You know what’s weird. You know what the best “value” place for me to get groceries - all things considered - is now?

Whole Foods.
I poop ye not

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom