News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Dan Deesnee

Peltz investment track record has nothing to do with how he might influence Disney while on the board.

I'm still waiting for someone to propose a person that is much better that actually has a chance of getting on the board. Someone from one of the big streaming services, so they can influence Disney to go even harder on Disney plus and pull even more money away from the parks?

Someone will get the seat, maybe the devil you know is better than the one you don't...

Dan Deesnee

Then pick some rando from the street if there are no standards at all related to the job description.

The devil we know is Peltz and he's the devil.

The sense I'm trying to talk people into here, having spent my career in corporate finance, is that their is likely NOBODY eligible that will make park fans happy and that their are FAR worse people than Peltz that could join Disney's board.

It's a complete waste of time to think that some savior is going to join the board.

I hope that's clear enough...

Last edited by a moderator:

EPCOT-O.G.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere in threads, the Disney board‘s insistence that Peltz‘s experience in media & tech disqualifies his creates a standard that few of the current board members could meet. And the financial industry news is noting this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As I’ve mentioned elsewhere in threads, the Disney board‘s insistence that Peltz‘s experience in media & tech disqualifies his creates a standard that few of the current board members could meet. And the financial industry news is noting this.

And Disney did add someone with that experience when activist Loeb was after them as a compromise.

And Peltz could have gotten the same deal if he really cared about the board's make-up lacking people experienced in entertainment by getting someone else who had that experience.

Instead, he claims his directorship at MSG gives him that experience and his interviewer laughed in his face because that's not the right kind of experience and Peltz's time on the MSG board saw it lose value.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Peltz investment track record has nothing to do with how he might influence Disney while on the board.

Buhaha
I'm still waiting for someone to propose a person that is much better that actually has a chance of getting on the board.

That’s the thing… there is no need to add someone. This is spurred only by peltz - not an opening that must be filled.

The board’s headcount is flexible

maxairmike

The sense I'm trying to talk people into here, having spent my career in corporate finance, is that their is likely NOBODY eligible that will make park fans happy and that their are FAR worse people than Peltz that could join Disney's board.

It's a complete waste of time to think that some savior is going to join the board.

I hope that's clear enough...

As @flynnibus said above, this isn't being done out of a necessity on Disney's part of filling a required role on the board, this is a corporate raider doing what they do. Trying to muscle their way into a company to suck it dry before discarding the corpse and walking away (and probably dismembering it in the process). If he were trying to fill a vacancy that is required to be filled, I would literally want anyone that is not a corporate raider and activist investor at this point. Anyone except someone like Peltz would be preferable.

MrPromey

Interestingly, Disneyland bookings are up. Disneyland Paris bookings are up. Universal Orlando bookings are up.

Walt Disney World bookings aren’t.
But here's the thing about Universal Orlando - bookings may be up but it doesn't feel like an overcrowded mess (except for Diagon Alley - like it or not, that was an intentional design choice).

We went the Saturday after new year so, yes, I concede we avoided holiday crowds.

We showed up a little after noon and managed to do 9 attractions (with a park hop in there), a character meet and greet with Crusty & Sideshow Bob, and fast-service Dinner, all with the two parks closing at 9.

No Express Pass, btw.

To be fair, not everything was a larger attraction. We did the Woody Woodpecker ride one last time since we knew that area was closing but at the other end of the spectrum, we also fit Forbidden Journey and Hagrid's into all of that.

And we farted around in Diagon Alley (son wanted Gringots but we decided the line was too long), took a final walk-through of the Curious George and Fievel areas he's too old for now and spent at least 15 minutes as my son, still afraid of bigger coasters, contemplated Rip-Rocket-Ride*, we watched the sorting hat projection thing on the Hogwarts castle and so on.

Again, parks were open for less than nine hours while we were there. We showed up without a plan around the busiest time of day and meandered a lot. We walked briskly to get to one of the shows and between parks when we went out the front of studios and back in at IOA but that was the only time we did anything with particular purpose.

It wasn't a commando day, even remotely and by experienced WDW planning and touring standards, we did almost every dumb thing you shouldn't when trying to maximize your time except saving Hagrid's for last.

... This used to be possible at Disney, too.

I don't expect it to ever be THIS easy again at WDW but the difference is just so startling and apparently, Universal isn't going out of business running things this way (you're saying it's busier than it's historically been and we all know they're investing like crazy) so seriously, what the hell Disney?

To all those seasoned WDW fans who think people deserve what they get when they show up to the Magic Kingdom without a spreadsheet, this is what the rest of the world is like. This is why people are caught off-guard when they don't understand that a trip to Disney requires devotion and commitment and most of all, a plan.

I'm sure even with bookings down, G+ and ILL are up right along with waits for everything.

Would have been interesting if, beyond photo ops at WDW on Bob's recent visit, he and Josh had been spotted in trench coats and fake mustaches wandering around Universal Orlando.

Just half an hour each in those two parks to see how things like atmosphere, crowding and wait times compares at their biggest local competition as a normal guest would have been an eye-opening exercise, I'm sure.

*Still a reluctant pass

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Makes a lot of sense. We didn't renew our WDW annual pass. Instead, we'll use that money for Disneyland trips and Disney cruises. Those places still feel magical to us.
After my next trip I will not be renewing my annual pass as well and I’m a DVC member. I will be using the extra money for awhile to take cruise and beach vacations (both non Disney) and no longer visit Disney world multiple times each year. Maybe just once every couple of years now we’ll see.

BrianLo

It took me a while to catch up from the last few days. I feel like I’m just repeating myself at this point regarding D+ profitability. We haven’t even seen a quarter where they’ve remotely attempted to make it so.

Subscription price increases (which haven’t even started in any financial report) are the typical path to profitability. Why do so many of you have a hard time seeing this?

Chapek screwed up by getting overly excited that D+ wasn’t a niche Netflix alternative and could compete with Netflix. He isn’t necessarily wrong. What he did mistake was:

1) Overpromising ridiculous subscriber numbers. Even if they came true you paint yourself in a corner
2) Devaluing theatrical content to feed D+
3) Not understanding the market sentiment. Likely he should have considered a price increase last Spring when the market soured on the subscription landgrab. If he had a Time Machine December 2021 needed a price increase, but I can’t blame him for not seeing the future.
4) Being a bad spokesperson and unable to really explain their strategy correctly.

BrianLo

Had one booked before my AP expires

Just ribbing on you! I always laugh at the ‘we’re done for good, after next time’ posts.

I always maintain the travel patterns you are considering. I typically visit every 3-5 years and alternate trips amongst many other options, including cruises on other lines. I actually think you’ll have a much better relationship with Disney as a result long term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom