News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You still haven’t shared your recommendation for what Disney should do instead of this pivot to streaming. I’m genuinely curious.

And while Disney has acknowledged that costs got way out of hand and PR went sideways, so far the plan is working, isn’t it?

From my perspective, what remains to be seen—and I admit it’s a biggie—profitability without falling back on the old ways of doing things. If they go to all this trouble to pivot, only to fall back into bundled services, two-year contracts, and commercials, I’m going to be very disappointed.
Disney is the largest self contained entertainment company in the US now…

Their reliance on Disney+ makes some sense…but it hasn’t been proven to be “working” at all. The fee structure and costs can’t be sustained. So they’re not “close”. But that’s not a debate worth having right now

Because Disney is so big…they need to have good management and a strategic plan for all their biggest segments. You’re advocating that they drain the largest longterm and potentially destroy it to fund the second biggest.

All need to be run well…and if that means the path to D+ “profit”…which will never be much over modest gain…is longer?

So be it.

Here’s how I can help you: don’t assume that what Disney is selling is correct. They make tons of mistakes. That’s a proven history. Better customers lead to better companies.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
"Hey Josh let's go walk around AK to make it look like we're thinking about the Blue Sky stuff"
You never know. I think Iger may have evolved into a "YOLO" phase of his career where he wants to make some kind of giant splash for the sake of legacy. I don't know how much he cares about quarterly earnings releases or even his own bank account at this point. He wants to be a legend.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I’m not sure if this is off-topic or not, but I bet that when Rupert Murdoch finally kicks the bucket, one of his children will take over the News Corp./Fox Corp. empire, go on the "left side", and attempt to get 20th Century Studios back from Disney. (With a few conditions like Marvel having ownership of TCS's adaptations of their properties.)

_caleb

I do agree with moving to streaming. Where I disagree is how, not just Disney all of them, have gone about it. It should have been a slow process to pivoting to streaming. Throwing all new content and movies onto streaming without getting profit from them.
But Disney has made the pivot to streaming incrementally over the course of sixteen years!
It's been a long, slow process. We could annotate each of the above steps with lessons learned. They've looked at consumer behavior, market prices, technology, content strategies, marketing, etc. The last step in their plan is to reduce costs and raise revenues to get to profitability.

Nubs70

Netflix worked so well in the early days because they were mainly just licensing existing content rather than paying to develop it themselves. That was a much cheaper way to acquire content for the service.

Disney+ could probably work similarly to early Netflix because of their massive library and the continued popularity (at least hopefully for Disney) of Disney/Pixar animated films and Marvel (i.e. they would be spending very little to develop new content specifically for the service), but they want it to more that (it would probably turn a profit under that model but it wouldn't generate the level of revenue they're looking for).

Streaming won't work under the current pricing model when combined with the costs to actually produce their own shows and films if those shows/films don't make significant money elsewhere first. They'll have to introduce unskippable advertising and/or dramatic price increases.
Netflix was Blockbuster by Mail.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
But Disney has made the pivot to streaming incrementally over the course of sixteen years!
It's been a long, slow process. We could annotate each of the above steps with lessons learned. They've looked at consumer behavior, market prices, technology, content strategies, marketing, etc. The last step in their plan is to reduce costs and raise revenues to get to profitability.
you’d think with that experience they would have had a better strategy

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They way I look at it is your average guest doesn't know or care about much of this. They do see Universal continue to invest in their parks and Disney not following suit.
Hunh, are these things invisible to Disney guests?
  • Renovations of all Disney resort rooms
  • Overhaul of each park's entrance
  • Investment in transportation: Flyovers, dedicated lanes, Skyliner, more buses, bus arrival times tracked
  • Constant upgrades to DME (as successful or not they may be)
  • Pandora, Batuu, Toy Story Land and their associated rides
  • MMRR
  • Ratatouille
  • TRON
  • Cosmic Rewind

Disney Analyst

Nelson Peltz's restore the magic report is an interesting read.

Also, watch Mickey Views video about this. Goes in depth on it. I strongly believe Peltz would be a great board member, he seems to really get what is wrong with Disney these past few years.

Overpaying for Fox, over profiting on the Parks, etc.

Peltz is a bumbling fool who saw the opportunity before him with Disney's performance, and pounced on it.

He made the most basic of points, which anyone on these boards could come up with, and offers nothing of substance, nor expertise, that would help Disney navigate it.

He's a dinosaur. A rich dinosaur, and we should all hope he gets nowhere near the Disney board.

And yes, Iger and later Chapek opened the door for these investor trolls to walk on in, and we better hope despite the issues he created, Iger can right the ship, and or actually find a new CEO who will.

Nubs70

You still haven’t shared your recommendation for what Disney should do instead of this pivot to streaming. I’m genuinely curious.

And while Disney has acknowledged that costs got way out of hand and PR went sideways, so far the plan is working, isn’t it?

From my perspective, what remains to be seen—and I admit it’s a biggie—profitability without falling back on the old ways of doing things. If they go to all this trouble to pivot, only to fall back into bundled services, two-year contracts, and commercials, I’m going to be very disappointed.
Step 1. Stop losing at a $6B YoY rate.

The boat has a hole in it. Slow the leak.

celluloid

Hunh, are these things invisible to Disney guests?
  • Renovations of all Disney resort rooms
  • Overhaul of each park's entrance
  • Investment in transportation: Flyovers, dedicated lanes, Skyliner, more buses, bus arrival times tracked
  • Constant upgrades to DME (as successful or not they may be)
  • Pandora, Batuu, Toy Story Land and their associated rides
  • MMRR
  • Ratatouille
  • TRON
  • Cosmic Rewind

Invisible? Maybe not. Impactful to the average guest? Not really a comparison. That is the reason the poster you quoted said average guest. There is a reason Universal Studios Florida, even with its recent flaws has surpassed Disney's Hollywood Studios in attendance.

You are only as good as your most recent investments, can we not still talk about Pandora, that land opened nearly six years ago and Tron is visible not not impactful as it is not even open to public yet.

You will not get people excited in masses for renovated rooms. That is the kind of thing that should just happen.

Cosmic Rewind is the only thing of major impact of a needle mover on your list, and it did not exactly do it enough. Likely because as the only ground up build attraction, it is not enough to save EPCOT on its own.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’m not sure if this is off-topic or not, but I bet that when Rupert Murdoch finally kicks the bucket, one of his children will take over the News Corp./Fox Corp. empire, go on the "left side", and attempt to get 20th Century Studios back from Disney. (With a few conditions like Marvel having ownership of TCS's adaptations of their properties.)
20th Century Fox is no more. Big parts of it were sold off (Sky and regional sports channels). Other parts scrapped (the physical international linear channels).

What's left are a handful of studios that turn out content for theatrical release, TV, and streaming. A good chunk of new content on Hulu (Star overseas) is from former Fox studios.

FX, Hoststar, and NatGeo are their own hubs on their streaming services.

Redundant employee positions were eliminated.

There is no separate 20th Century Fox division at Disney to sell off. It's all fully integrated.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Invisible? Maybe not. Impactful to the average guest? Not really a comparison. That is the reason the poster you quoted said average guest. There is a reason Universal Studios Florida, even with its recent flaws has surpassed Disney's Hollywood Studios in attendance.

You are only as good as your most recent investments, can we not still talk about Pandora, that land opened nearly six years ago and Tron is visible not not impactful as it is not even open to public yet.

You will not get people excited in masses for renovated rooms. That is the king of thing that should just happen.

Cosmic Rewind is the only thing of major impact of a needle mover on your list, and it did not exactly do it enough. Likely because as the only ground up build attraction, it is not enough to save EPCOT on its own.
So we can't count things that have already opened or things that have opened yet.

That leaves... what?

And what are Uni guests currently seeing... and remember, you can't count things not open to the public yet.

Slpy3270

20th Century Fox is no more. Big parts of it were sold off (Sky and regional sports channels). Other parts scrapped (the physical international linear channels).

What's left are a handful of studios that turn out content for theatrical release, TV, and streaming. A good chunk of new content on Hulu (Star overseas) is from former Fox studios.

FX, Hoststar, and NatGeo are there own hubs on their streaming services.

Redundant employee positions were eliminated.

There is no separate 20th Century Fox division at Disney to sell off. It's all fully integrated.
And why would the Murdochs want 20th Century back? They stopped caring about Hollywood the moment Fox News became their flagship property. The writing was on the wall when their attempted hostile takeover of Time Warner collapsed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom