News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

el_super

That's just it - they are everywhere. They are not just on Facebook, but on reddit, and pretty much any "other" Disney sites, they are right here.

Just after seeing this I went over to reddit where there is a thread on the Disneyland After Dark events posted, with this comment:
I know some people will bemoan the ticket prices, and I was the same way. "Oh no, I'm paying a full ticket price but only getting 7 hours of entertainment." But this past year I splurged and went to the Oogie Boogie Bash and realized how worth it it was to go to the parks with reduced capacity, even if just for a few hours. There's no Lightning Lanes so the lines move smoothly. Lower crowds so the lines are shorter. And fun photo ops and activities. It's a great time.​

Maybe you're just not seeing the positive stuff?

I find it very difficult to find many people singing the praises of the park experience and/or the cost/value that aren't somehow getting paid for it

Oh is that it? You are just automatically assuming anything positive must be paid for? Well that's convenient.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That's just it - they are everywhere. They are not just on Facebook, but on reddit, and pretty much any "other" Disney sites, they are right here.

I find it very difficult to find many people singing the praises of the park experience and/or the cost/value that aren't somehow getting paid for it - either from freebies from Disney, or this new spate of social-media "experience planners" that get a chunk of what they get you to shell out for. They only people you really see saying anything positive are the true addicts who are still going multiple times a year/have DVC/etc. who are out of touch with what the typical family is looking for on a week's vacation they may take at most every few years.

It's undeniable that Disney is losing it's overall good will due to all the excessive planning, reduction in experience, and constantly rising costs. It's gone from "Yes, it's expensive, but they go so over the top it's worth it" to "I can't believe they charge so much for so little".
FWIW, the only ones I see defending Disney in my own little online bubble these days are DVC people (we own but are not defenders any longer). Good luck if you try to point anything out to them, because they are like a pack of rabid dogs who will all attack if you dare to try and make them see anything outside of their pixie-dust-coated blinders. Everything is still just as magical as it’s ever been, if not even more magical, in their view. 🤷‍♂️

Lilofan

same thing happened between staggs and chapek and that's why there was no ceo contender other than chapek 🤷‍♂️ it's a mouse-eat-mouse world at the mouse, and the mice keep eating each other
If there is an outsider CEO coming after Iger it’s a given a few execs will quit or be forced out.

AEfx

Just after seeing this I went over to reddit where there is a thread on the Disneyland After Dark events posted, with this comment:

Maybe you're just not seeing the positive stuff?

First, we are talking about WDW, not Disneyland. Second, I never said "you won't find a single positive comment anywhere!". What those of us who have followed this forum, other forums like reddit, etc. for decades now are trying to express is that the overall sentiment has changed. You see a much different landscape now than you did even a few years ago, where the vast majority were pixie dusters and thinking everything was fine and dandy.

You see, we know these people well - because many, if not all of us, have been there ourselves. You see so many posts now that you never did before, everyone from returning park veterans to new park goers. You used to see such positive things about the level of service at WDW, the quality of the restaurants, how wonderful all the ancillary entertainment offerings were, how "magical" it all felt, how well maintained and lush the whole experience was.

You rarely see many enthusiastic comments like that now. It's just no where near what it used to be.

Oh is that it? You are just automatically assuming anything positive must be paid for? Well that's convenient.

No, it's just my experience in 20 years of following WDW fandom online. The only people I see these days with any regularity on social media who truly are spouting the "WDW is such a great value! It's so magical! Things are better than ever! You have to go!" are mostly people who are either influencers who get paid for it, the new social media "travel agent" type who gets a cut of it, or those folks who are just so deep into the pixie dust right now that they are fighting the truth with every ounce of their fan-hearts.

Let's put it this way -you know things are bad when supposedly even Bob Iger of all people thinks the park experience is in trouble.

el_super

First, we are talking about WDW, not Disneyland. Second, I never said "you won't find a single positive comment anywhere!".

You said it was difficult to find a positive comment. I found one in five minutes. It's not difficult at all, WDW or DLR. You are just ignoring them.

What those of us who have followed this forum, other forums like reddit, etc. for decades now are trying to express is that the overall sentiment has changed.

Seriously, I've been around since the rec.arts.disney.parks days and things are honestly not that different. Disney has always had critics and they have always been outspoken but it has almost never translated into actual attendance problems at the parks. Never.

That's why most fan complaints are easily dismissed.

No, it's just my experience in 20 years of following WDW fandom online. The only people I see these days with any regularity on social media who truly are spouting the "WDW is such a great value! It's so magical! Things are better than ever! You have to go!" are mostly people who are either influencers who get paid for it, the new social media "travel agent" type who gets a cut of it, or those folks who are just so deep into the pixie dust right now that they are fighting the truth with every ounce of their fan-hearts.

You're just not looking in the right places.

Skibum1970

Numbers coming out showing Willow is a huge flop on D+.

Disney is really hitting it out of the park lately.

While the original did okay at the box office and with rentals, it was never a movie that screamed "sequel" or television series. It's just kind of a weird choice.

LittleBuford

Unfortunately, it is mostly a derogatory term. The only time it is used is in a negative way, usually by bigoted people. Such is the 1960s, I mean 2020s.
That is absolutely not true. Among many—including the African American communities who coined it—“woke” remains a positive, affirming term. It’s just a shame that others have seen fit to hijack and mangle it.

Smiley/OCD

Chapek had plenty of time to make bad decisions and to implement neutral decisions badly. It wasn’t like he had NO power in the company until Iger retired (the first time).

I’m all for holding the CEO ultimately accountable for everything a company does, but Senior Vice Presidents can do a lot of damage while flying under the radar.
Yup, and who do SVP’s answer to? In this case of assigning blame, the doo-doo is flowing UP hill…

CaptainMickey

First, we are talking about WDW, not Disneyland. Second, I never said "you won't find a single positive comment anywhere!". What those of us who have followed this forum, other forums like reddit, etc. for decades now are trying to express is that the overall sentiment has changed. You see a much different landscape now than you did even a few years ago, where the vast majority were pixie dusters and thinking everything was fine and dandy.

You see, we know these people well - because many, if not all of us, have been there ourselves. You see so many posts now that you never did before, everyone from returning park veterans to new park goers. You used to see such positive things about the level of service at WDW, the quality of the restaurants, how wonderful all the ancillary entertainment offerings were, how "magical" it all felt, how well maintained and lush the whole experience was.

You rarely see many enthusiastic comments like that now. It's just no where near what it used to be.

Let's put it this way -you know things are bad when supposedly even Bob Iger of all people thinks the park experience is in trouble.
This is my experience also.

I would consider myself a Disney superfan for decades. I'm in central Florida and have had an annual pass to WDW for over 20 years. I have been to WDW about once a month for 20 years. I got married at Disney and have been on over 20 DCL cruises. There is a huge group of Disney friends in Tampa-Orlando with more friends all around the world of people just like me. I know we are a small number of the total Disney customers and we are definitely not the typical Disney customer. But we were happy to tell anyone we met how awesome Disney was. For decades, this group would defend Disney to the death. Since the pandemic, I was really surprised how many of my super fan friends have greatly reduced their fandom or even done a 180 and are actually angry at Disney now. Spending tens of thousands of dollars and many of them have gone to almost zero. (No Annual passes, park reservations, Genie+, much more stressful, etc.) The mood of that group is very similar to the youtube guys that used to love everything Disney did but not so much any more.
These fans are all very connected to WDW and changes at the parks could win them back pretty quickly, but a lot of them may be reduced or gone permanently. A lot of us feel like disney does't want us as a customer any more.

For some reason Disney's current management reminds me of General Electric. That 100 year old company that used to be number one in every industry it was in. All the CEOs wrote books on how smart the company was and how they were going to stay on top forever.

Is Disney, the company, getting better or worse then ten years ago?
Management - worse?
Creativity - worse?
Box office - definitely worse
Park Experience - worse /depends who you ask (Universal has an Epic increase in competition on the horizon)
Cruise line - still incredible for everyone!
Cable business - getting worse
Streaming - new, but loosing billions, and extremely competitive
Debt load - worse

Great companies can go poof if they start selling what they want instead of what the customer wants. Short term profits can hide some long term problems. Disney (and a lot of people on the forums) really take their customers for granted.
Hopefully they figure that out sooner then later.

Just an observation from my little circle in Florida.

Last edited:

_caleb

I would consider myself a Disney superfan for decades. I'm in central Florida and have had an annual pass to WDW for over 20 years. I have been to WDW about once a month for 20 years. I got married at Disney and have been on over 20 DCL cruises. There is a huge group of Disney friends in Tampa-Orlando with more friends all around the world of people just like me. I know we are a small number of the total Disney customers and we are definitely not the typical Disney customer. But we were happy to tell anyone we met how awesome Disney was. For decades, this group would defend Disney to the death. Since the pandemic, I was really surprised how many of my super fan friends have greatly reduced their fandom or even done a 180 and are actually angry at Disney now. Spending tens of thousands of dollars and many of them have gone to almost zero. (No Annual passes, park reservations, Genie+, much more stressful, etc.) The mood of that group is very similar to the youtube guys that used to love everything Disney did but not so much any more.
These fans are all very connected to WDW and changes at the parks could win them back pretty quickly, but a lot of them may be reduced or gone permanently.

For some reason Disney's current management reminds me of General Electric. That 100 year old company that used to be number one in every industry it was in. All the CEOs wrote books on how smart the company was and how they were going to stay on top forever.

Management - worse?
Creativity - worse?
Park Experience - worse /depends who you ask (Universal has an Epic increase in competition on the horizon)
Debt load - worse

Great companies can go poof if they start selling what they want instead of what the customer wants. Short term profits can hide some long term problems. Disney (and a lot of people on the forums) really take their customers for granted.

I don’t think I’ve ever liked Disney because they made a lot of money.

Rich Brownn

These fans are all very connected to WDW and changes at the parks could win them back pretty quickly, but a lot of them may be reduced or gone permanently. A lot of us feel like disney does't want us as a customer any more.

Management - worse?
Creativity - worse?
Debt load - worse

Great companies make money not by giving people what they need, but what people don't realize they need. As Henry Ford once said, if I had asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse :D <Apple, for example, excels at creating a market where other either failed or didn't take seriously enough>

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At the risk of repeating myself (or being obnoxious), I want to reiterate that WDI has some amazing creative people who ALSO understand the business side. I'd LOVE to have a creative person as CEO, and then all the numbers and finance folks around them could try to balance things out.

I'm also thinking the next CEO needs to really have a handle on technology.
…no…it really doesn’t.

Lowest quality it has ever been - in truth

Touchdown

So, not that I’m complaining, but, Universal has been pretty busy at Universal (especially Saturday) and Sea World Friday was slow at the beginning of the day but got packed by night.). Today I’m here at DHS, and while the posted times say moderate crowds, that’s a lie. During early entry I rode Rise, Mania and Mickey. Then over the course of the first hour I rode ToT x3. I litterally walked into the library twice. This makes no sense, Disney might have finally started pushing away customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom