News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

yensidtlaw1969

What is needed as a DIS CEO is someone that does not insist on being the face of WDW but the leader of the multi faceted conglomerate that is DIS.

Stop trying to be Walt.

If a CEO tried to be like Walt, Disney would close. Walt's quote

I don't make movies to make money, I make money to make more movies.

I question the idea that any Disney CEO has really ever "tried to be Walt". That quote of his alone is pretty indicative - absolutely no one in charge of the company since Walt has ever taken anything close to that sort of perspective on any of the comany's functions. Nor have any of them meaningfully tried to embody the spirit of "Uncle Walt" in becoming a visible face of the company - Eisner came closest with his appearances on The Wonderful World of Disney and whatnot, and even that was little more than obvious lipservice. Eisner seemed to believe there was value to the illusion that the company was run by a showman, but a showman he was not and I don't think the public was ever fooled. The company was simply producing better work for a portion of his tenure and the public liked that, not him.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Iger to run the financial side
Eisner to run the creative/parks side
Why not? Better than the alternative being pushed right now

Might as well just sell to apple and let them fund everything

G00fyDad

Iger to run the financial side
Eisner to run the creative/parks side
Why not? Better than the alternative being pushed right now

Might as well just sell to apple and let them fund everything

Because only one of those two could be CEO and that would likely be Iger and he would crush anything creative Eisner came up with under the weight of money. Besides, I always heard that Eisner (despite being in charge during my favorite WDW years) was not the creative one at that time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. No no no no. Please no. As an MBA and finance person myself she is 100% not the right person for the CEO of a company like Disney.
Tom Staggs is the only real person who makes sense here. Everyone else is either not experienced enough or not good enough at their role.

There is no sense in a Strategic Planner being CEO.
I know that strategic planning is a fan boogie man - like “Eisner ruined the parks” 🙄

But it could make sense IF they go to the two person model??

I actually don’t know why now they went away from it…it makes sense for entertainment companies and we have 30 years of data to show why?

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
My friend has a theory that McDonald's is successful not because of quality but because of consistency. You can go to any McDonald's anywhere in the country and know that you're going to get the exact same thing.

Sorry, but I call BS on this. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I can't imagine anyone thinking McDonald's food is better quality than quick service food at Disney. Yes, even at the All Stars food courts. I'm not claiming the All Stars serve gourmet fare, but McDonald's? Come on.
I think McDonald's is better quality food for the price you pay in comparison.

pdude81

They've already floated the two people they could use as partners down the road. Whether that has any bearing on reality will be known whenever Iger runs out of road. Thankfully he doesn't own BTTF

Cliff

Basing company decisions on "What would Walt do?" in the 70s and 80s nearly destroyed the company.

Walt Disney has been dead for 56 years. Speculating what he would think about particular people he never met, in a world he never knew, complete with its dramatically different culture and business environment, doesn't bring anything constructive to this conversation.
Ironically,....even when Walt was alive, everybody thought that what Walt wanted to do...would destroy the company.

After a while, when people around him started to trust him...THAT is when Walt got nervous.

epcotWSC

Just what Disney needs another bean counter as CEO. How about someone who's in their late 40s or early 50s rather than someone who's at retirement age and someone who has a background in doing something creative? I don't necessarily care if the person makes movies or whatever. Can be someone who has executive experience, but let that person be someone who has had success being an executive at a company that does out of the ordinary things. There's obviously no one in TWDC who fits the bill.

Lilofan

Just what Disney needs another bean counter as CEO. How about someone who's in their late 40s or early 50s rather than someone who's at retirement age and someone who has a background in doing something creative? I don't necessarily care if the person makes movies or whatever. Can be someone who has executive experience, but let that person be someone who has had success being an executive at a company that does out of the ordinary things. There's obviously no one in TWDC who fits the bill.
Paging , TWDC Chairman of the Board Susan Arnold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom