News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Jambo Dad

John Carter was way better than it gets credit. It should have spawned a multi movie franchise. Indiana Jones in space.
It really wasn’t. The source material was so old that it lacked grounding in modern science. They were following the source material so closely it just felt anachronistic.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

2cd11b3b5ec4119b0eeabf751873af7e614a1ab3.jpg
Yup - pretty much the 1950's Soviet Historical re-write 😆 😆 😆

SpoiledBlueMilk

So let’s say you’re Iger. What are some of the low hanging fruit you would concentrate on that would improve CM and guest morale?
I'm no bleeding heart liberal, but I would say - show some leadership, do something that will rock the corporate world, and increase the minimum wage for hourly Disney CMs to $15. Increase prices in food and drink to offset the cost. Enough saying that the cast members are what make the Disney experience great and start paying them what they're worth. CMs are the face of the brand and the ambassadors that either make or break a customer's experience. Do this and the morale will improve.

SpoiledBlueMilk

*Looks at Star Wars series that a very significant body of critics and viewers are hailing as a genuine masterpiece and the best show of the year*

Fans: We must remove Kathleen Kennedy at once or this chaos may continue.
What makes Andor stand out is the fact that it was greenlit and produced by the same Lucasfilm that made Kenobi and Boba Fett. It's like a B movie studio unexpectedly producing The Piano.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'm no bleeding heart liberal, but I would say - show some leadership, do something that will rock the corporate world, and increase the minimum wage for hourly Disney CMs to $15. Increase prices in food and drink to offset the cost. Enough saying that the cast members are what make the Disney experience great and start paying them what they're worth. CMs are the face of the brand and the ambassadors that either make or break a customer's experience. Do this and the morale will improve.

So. Another price increase?

MerlinTheGoat

For someone who was all about the bottom line only... Wasn't Paycheck responsible for Harmonious and it going way over budget?
The announcement that Illuminations would be replaced with a new show happened in September 2018 when Iger was still fully the CEO. So I don't know how much blame you can put on Chapek for that. Unless someone has information to the contrary.

correcaminos

The announcement that Illuminations would be replaced with a new show happened in September 2018 when Iger was still fully the CEO. So I don't know how much blame you can put on Chapek for that. Unless someone has information to the contrary.
Yes, the creative designer said Chapek gave input on it. Lots more credit than he probably deserves. But it's well known that Chapek had his hand in that one.

MerlinTheGoat

Yes, the creative designer said Chapek gave input on it. Lots more credit than he probably deserves. But it's well known that Chapek had his hand in that one.
That was regarding Chapek allegedly saying it needed to be a cartoon clip show, right? I don't want to sound like i'm showing disrespect or calling that designer a liar, but i'm having a very hard time buying that Iger (the king of cartoon IP integration) actually tried to prevent that, or was in any way against it.

Regardless, I doubt the IP situation is what caused it to go over budget. I was under the impression it was the hardware/software involved that caused that.

My assessment is that there's a LOT of blame being shifted to Chapek right now. A lot of which is likely because people who also made major mistakes are trying to protect their jobs and are looking for a scapegoat. I hate the guy as well, and he deserves to be slammed for not using his year running solo to reverse any of this and simply continuing down the Iger path. But most of the things people are angry about were already approved and enacted under Iger's watch.

SpoiledBlueMilk

So you’re going to win back the fan base with a price increase?

Okay. Might work.

But luckily Iger already commented that he was alarmed at the price increases during Chapek’s reign. So they’ll have to figure out a different path.
I was thinking more of CM morale. For guest morale, get rid of Genie+ and adopt Disneyland Paris' model.

Vegas Disney Fan

I took a quick look at their current job postings and didn’t see anything under $15 already, quick service was $15, laundry was $15, line cook was $19, bus driver was $18, lifeguard was $15.25, custodian was $15… I didn’t look at them all so it’s possible some positions are below that but I don’t think it would benefit many CMs.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I was thinking more of CM morale. For guest morale, get rid of Genie+ and adopt Disneyland Paris' model.

I’ll disagree with the CM assessment. Throwing them $5-$10 an hour more is nice.

But if I were a CM. I’d rather have them define an attainable career path. I think that would do more for CM morale.

Tell me how - if I work hard, am responsible, and put in the time - I get to $50-$75k

Casper Gutman

Yea that's a pretty bad take in my opinion. I'll give her a clear win for Rogue one, Mando and Andor. Everything else is suspect. Even Andor with everything good about it didn't really knock it out of the park from a general audience buzz standpoint. Theatrical star wars is a train wreck. She's cancelled more things than finished. And all but last Jedi, Mando and Andor didn't have troubled productions. I'll give props for what's right. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. It's ok to think some of the things she's done turned out ok, and at the same time think she isn't the right person to lead the franchise. You can't just base it on one thing either way.
I'm sorry, but fans are looking SO HARD for a reason to hate Kathleen Kennedy that it becomes absurd. You're even trying to denigrate Andor, universally critically acclaimed and clearly better written, acted, directed, and produced then anything Star Wars has produced since the OT, because it fails "from a general audience buzz standpoint" - however you're discerning that. You're also treating a franchise that was an absolute pop culture joke after the derided PT and is chock-a-block with risible garbage in the vast majority of the EU as though it has been consistently successful, praised, and beloved for most of its existence. It hasn't been. It is in a better state right now, today, then it has been since 1983.

Certain fans are so desperate to hate Kennedy, one of the most successful producers of the last 40 years whose resume is absolutely full of modern classics, and blame her for everything wrong with the ST, rather then blame Iger, the guy who has destroyed Disney parks and has PUBLICALLY ACCEPTED RESPONSIBILITY for the problems with the big-screen franchise. The hatred towards Kennedy has little to do with reality and what the franchise is actually producing and a lot to do with other factors.

JD80

I don't hate KK, but she's had a lot more misses with SW than not. She has not been a good shepard for that franchise. That alone is worth her termination. She's been in the lead for quite some time.

correcaminos

That was regarding Chapek allegedly saying it needed to be a cartoon clip show, right? I don't want to sound like i'm showing disrespect or calling that designer a liar, but i'm having a very hard time buying that Iger (the king of cartoon IP integration) actually tried to prevent that, or was in any way against it.

Regardless, I doubt the IP situation is what caused it to go over budget. I was under the impression it was the hardware/software involved that caused that.

My assessment is that there's a LOT of blame being shifted to Chapek right now. A lot of which is likely because people who also made major mistakes are trying to protect their jobs and are looking for a scapegoat. I hate the guy as well, and he deserves to be slammed for not using his year running solo to reverse any of this and simply continuing down the Iger path. But most of the things people are angry about were already approved and enacted under Iger's watch.
Nah he gets it for this one IMO. I don't love Iger but the blame IMO is squarely placed on Chapek and creative designers. And who gave thumbs up for keeping the barges in place. Chapek put his name on it. I'll let him. He isn't responsible for all the changes but Harmonious is his.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom