News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob Chapek isn't going to jail for doing some creative accounting. If everyone who did that went to jail, Hollywood would be one big prison.
Stillā€¦if any truth thatā€™s crazy. Itā€™s crazy that they are busing chapek THIS much. All Disney dirty laundry for a decade was caused by the guy at the end?
if Iger brings back magical express the planets would have aligned. Really kinda doubt it will ever happen but one can only hope.
Thatā€™s your big problem? Not tripling the prices in 20 years while adding no capacity and building timeshares?

Need a ride?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy not if but when.

So after her, who's next? Also, I was so wrong

Oy vey. Yes, a YouTuber 'heard' that KK was going to get fired right after Indy 5, or maybe right before.

1. What company decides to fire a top executive five months in advance, and then lets the cat out of the bag about it? Crazy.

2. All the second tier blogs quote this spurious rumor and in repeating it so often, people think it *must* have some truth to it.

3. This is about the fifteenth time the Internet echoed out this rumor over the past decade. Countless vloggers swearing a good inside contact was saying she was about to get fired. And it never came about. Just cryin' wolf at this point.

4. Iger likes KK. He personally took the blame off of her for Solo (pushing for a release when the film wasn't ready and the theaters were saturated with the sequel trilogy). And he took the blame off of her for locking SWL into the prequel timeline (he thought the $2B box office for TFA was a sign that the public was totally on board with it).

5. Since the rumors of KK being fired have been bandied about, her contract has been renewed 3 times.

6. The hate-club blames her for every SW content they don't like recounting in detail about how she personally was involved in ruining it. At the same time, with regard to SW content they *do* like, this hate-club spins a yarn about how she is frozen out of her own division and has no power at all and other creatives made the good stuff.

7. Are there people who don't like her? Most likely. That's usually the case in most companies. Backstabbing gossip is not the same thing as fact and reality.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is why I would have liked to have seen Disney Parks and Resorts revive Walt's old idea of a ski resort somewhere. Or at least I would have, before the Imagineering dept. was gutted. Something like Mont Tremblant resort, which looks exactly like something Joe Rohde would have designed.

Disney seems unable to think outside a warm weather box, however.
The tremblant village was copied and built at Stratton. Very ā€œDisneyā€ feel there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oy vey. Yes, a YouTuber 'heard' that KK was going to get fired right after Indy 5, or maybe right before.

1. What company decides to fire a top executive five months in advance, and then let's the cat out of the bag about it? Crazy.

2. All the second tier blogs quote this spurious rumor and in repeating it so often, people think it *must* have some truth to it.

3. This is about the fifteenth time the Internet echoed out this rumor over the past decade. Countless vloggers swearing a good inside contact was saying she was about to get fired. And it never came about. Just cryin' wolf at this point.

4. Iger likes KK. He personally took the blame off of her for Solo (pushing for a release when the film wasn't ready and the theaters were saturated with the sequel trilogy). And he took the blame off of her for locking SWL into the prequel timeline (he thought the $2B box office for TFA was a sign that the public was totally on board with it).

5. Since the rumors of KK being fired have been bandied about, her contract has been renewed 3 times.

6. The hate-club blames her for every SW content they don't like recounting in detail about how she personally was involved in ruining it. At the same time, with regard to SW content they *do* like, this hate-club spins a yarn about how she is frozen out of her own division and has no power at all and other creatives made the good stuff.

7. Are there people who don't like her? Most likely. That's usually the case in most companies. Backstabbing gossip is not the same thing as fact and reality.
ā€¦And I get accused of obsessingšŸ™„

DCLcruiser

Iā€™ve read too many posts not to add lol:

I did like one aspect of 7/8/9: The introduction of a third leg of our Star Wars Universe stool:

The shadow industrial elite who built the weapons and financed the wars.

That could have been an awesome arc for the sequels to really focus on. Jedi, Sith, the other guys pulling all the strings.

MerlinTheGoat

Ep8 made significantly less money than Ep7. $1.3 billion worldwide compared to $2 billion of the previous one. Which might still seem like a lot of money to the general public, but the executives and investors were quite disappointed. Solo of course also contributed to the problem even prior. And then Ep9 further underperformed Ep8.

Tom P.

I think what many people -- including Disney leadership -- have overlooked is that part of what made Star Wars films so successful was the scarcity. Until Disney bought Lucasfilm, there were a grand total of only six films in the series and the two trilogies were 20 years apart. Sure, there were some TV shows and tons of tie-in books and merchandise, but there were only six actual films. That made the release of each film an event. Start churning films out every year and it becomes less special, less anticipated.

_caleb

I know many of you think my opinion is utterly ridiculous, but I think Iger saw the damage Chapek-ified Iger-ism did to the brand, and I trust his ego will lead him to do some fan-pleasing things.

But still, I think the personal wish lists of every single thing anyone dislikes about the parks are a bit silly.

MerlinTheGoat

I know many of you think my opinion is utterly ridiculous, but I think Iger saw the damage Chapek-ified Iger-ism did to the brand, and I trust his ego will lead him to do some fan-pleasing things.
I can assure you that no one here wants you to be wrong, quite the opposite. Many of us just don't believe for a second it will happen.

But still, I think the personal wish lists of every single thing anyone dislikes about the parks are a bit silly.
Bare minimum they need to clean up the maintenance situation. There's no excuses for the parks being in the shape they are (it's even affecting Disneyland now). And deal with the recent staff/entertainment cuts. I don't expect these to improve either, but that'll be a decent baseline to judge whether ANY good comes out of this.

I'll believe the WSJ's claims about Iger being upset about price hikes when (real) elephants fly.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Bare minimum they need to clean up the maintenance situation. There's no excuses for the parks being in the shape they are (it's even affecting Disneyland now).

Iā€™ve thought about this. Hereā€™s what they could do

You know how certain stores get you to work for them for free now. Meaning the self-checkout lines. Youā€™re performing a function (for free) that they used to have to pay somebody to do.

Same thought process. Through the magic of Disney and some well placed spots and maybe even a new show or two. You focus in on and glorify Disney janitorial.

That way when a small child walks into the park you have a CM ask ā€œHow would you like to be a Disney janitor for the day?ā€ To which the response would likely be ā€œOh Boy. Would Iā€.

Out comes a small white uniform, a broom, and a garbage can.

Problem solved.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think what many people -- including Disney leadership -- have overlooked is that part of what made Star Wars films so successful was the scarcity. Until Disney bought Lucasfilm, there were a grand total of only six films in the series and the two trilogies were 20 years apart. Sure, there were some TV shows and tons of tie-in books and merchandise, but there were only six actual films. That made the release of each film an event. Start churning films out every year and it becomes less special, less anticipated.

Star wars was basically in cryogenic freeze until Lucas released the SEs on his way to the prequels. Scarcity didn't build SW up.. it was why it was only something people remembered from the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom