News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Grumpy4196

I can't speak for Winslet as I don't recall ever actually seen her in anything. DiCaprio's acting in his youth however was quite poor. That said, he definitely got WAY better. I found his performance in the Aviator to be really good, and then Inception as well. Shutter Island is the best i've seen from him.
I thought Winslet was very good in Mare of Easttown

RSoxNo1

No, they could have fired him and done it without him. The CEO reports to the Board, not the other way around.
That's definitely true, but I would imagine that a company like Disney would have liked to have the future CEO in house first. What is currently happening very well may be facilitating the Candle Media purchase.

sedati

Oh, I forgot one more thing, Park Hopping, bring it back (Like Anne Heche in 6days/7nites requesting her money back from Harrison Ford)
So will Disney tear my ticket in half?
I think a good middle-ground would be the Tokyo system. First four days of a ticket would be one park a day and only after that do you earn hopper days.

sedati

And she could have 100% shared that door.

Yes, then they both would have been partially submerged and both froze to death. Cameron has brought this up:

"I was in the water with the piece of wood putting people on it for about two days getting it exactly buoyant enough so that it would support one person with full free-board, meaning that she wasn’t immersed at all in the 28 degree water so that she could survive the three hours it took until the rescue ship got there. [Jack] didn’t know that she was gonna get picked up by a lifeboat an hour later; he was dead anyway. And we very, very finely tuned it to be exactly what you see in the movie because I believed at the time, and still do, that that’s what it would have taken for one person to survive.”

Tom P.

Ah yes, let’s criticize two Actors who have won Oscars and been nominated countless times. Look I know it’s cool to hate popular things but you are very much in the minority. Titanic and Avatar were both widely successful and ran in theatres for the better part of a year, remember Top Gun Maverick and how everyone commented that it ran in theaters for 5 months, these movies both roughly doubled that.
So I'm not permitted to dislike movies or actors that have won awards or made lots of money? Wait till you hear that I think the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe is garbage...

Chi84

Premium Member
So I'm not permitted to dislike movies or actors that have won awards or made lots of money? Wait till you hear that I think the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe is garbage...
Your personal preferences are your own and no one can challenge them. If you say you don't like an actor or care for their acting, that's the end of the discussion.

But when you say that two recognized and well-respected actors can't act their way out of a wet paper bag, you're pitting yourself against an array of public accolades and industry awards to the contrary. At that point, people can legitimately question whether the problem lies with your taste or judgment rather than their acting skills.

WDW1974

Today would be a good day for a walk on by @WDW1974
Too bad he's long, long gone. To Regions Beyond.

But what would he say if he came back?

People are talking about Bob Iger (The Weatherman) replacing Bob Chapek (Chappie) like it's actually a good thing. How dumb do you have to be? I know we had a pandemic, an insurrection, multiple elections and more mass shootings than new Marvel shows on Disney+, but seriously. Do these people all own stock in My Pillow?

You do all remember who put Chappie in his position to begin with, right? Who gave him his marching orders? Who approved of every major MAGIC-sucking, money grubbing, woke pandering, turning the world's largest media/entertainment company into 'All About That Streaming' move he was charged with? (BTW, same goes for Joshie D'Amaro who so many of the social media influencers love)

You think Iger is your savior?

The man who ran countless execs out of the company after building them up as possible successors. The man who is now, after his horrific no succession, succession plan exploded like the bowels of an obese Guest after dining at Chef Mickey's, somehow back at the helm for 24 months (until that changes to 36 or 52 or ...)?

I hear people talk about never being so optimistic about Disney's future and I just wonder again, what alternate facts are they playing with. I have seen this all over. From real media types to Wall Street insiders to former Imagineers to (naturally) online (can I use the W-word yet here Mom? Is she still around these parts, I hope!) influencers/bloggers/w-words to 20-year-old O-Town fanbois flashing their pronouns (oh, gawd, do my 77-year-old nerves need this crap?) on Elon's end of days platform.

I see no reason for optimism. None. And I've spent a lot of time around Disney properties of late. Even 1401, which wasn't as deserted and depressing as I expected/feared. Operationally, I've never seen WDW and DLR so bad. Ever. Show quality is simply nonexistent. Lines are horrendous (so, no, price increases and paid FP were not the answer, not that some of us ever thought they were). And CMs (I don't want to sound like a right wing crackpot) are showing their uniqueness in ways I find distracting and distressing (and off-stage and in real life I'd be completely supporting them ... but, no, I don't want to see dudes with black nail polish and nose rings on MSUSA). The Disney Look was once considered a great thing and a model for other corporations. Of course, last time I was here, Splash Mountain was a Top 3 attraction and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah was considered a great Disney anthem, so there's that too. Y'all waiting on that LE Splash Mountain closing merch line (HINT: it ain't coming) before the ride closes for good on 1/23?

I recall many year ago discussing here that Disney was in danger of becoming just another BRAND and well, the last five years have more than proven me right.

Anyone who has experienced WDW's 50th Anniversary want to disagree? Anyone who sees so many disparate brands and IP watering down Disney (again, Splash Mountain can no longer be Disney, but Family Guy can ... ) to where you wonder what exactly is left? 1970s and 80s retro merchandise. BTW, you may love it because it harkens back to a better time, but you do realize how much cheaper it is than creating new designs and new items, right?

You think if WDW eases its reservation system, something already in the works, that is the doing of Iger? Ah, no.

I don't get anything about the company right now. Or the industry that says streaming is absolutely the future when a broadcast network (those are like ABC and CBS and NBC, kidz) here in the future year of 2022 pulls in many times the numbers that these services do. The fact that broadcast TV also is quite profitable, while every streamer (that charges) out there loses billions of dollars might speak to a Titanic sized miscalculation there.

But I must return to my peaceful slumber. This is not a realm I can exist in for very long. I thought the fan community online was a cesspool a decade ago, but it was really heaven compared to now (seriously, guys and gals, how many vlogs showing a BLT one bedroom MK view must we have?)

I will say this, The Weatherman would like nothing better than to be the last head of TWDC. And he'd drop Willow (even in her stunning Yoda dress) for Tim Cook tomorrow and he ain't even gay. He is the same lousy man he was back when he left ... all of ... how many months ago?

If you think The Weatherman is the answer for Disney, then you probably think T ... nope, just nope.

To the few online pals I have who are left here, hope y'all survived (you know what I mean) and are doing well.

Leota just arrived with her ball ... must be going.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1669449945816.png

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah, anyone who thinks Iger's return is a positive sign for the parks is overdosing on crazy pills. As if Chapek was in charge for long enough to have caused the sort of damage people claim he did. Iger was still running the show less than a year ago and approved most/all of the things people are angry about. Even that transparent and laughable attempt at an Iger puff piece from the WSJ betrays the fact that Iger had power above Chapek. Just because we're not trading down with Chapek gone, doesn't mean we're trading up either. Meet the new old boss, same as the old boss.

I have still personally seen the Florida parks in worse physical condition before. And that's saying a lot, because they are still absolutely in terrible shape now and rapidly declining again. But 2010 and the couple of years following it were the absolute low point for me (I'm told it stretched back to 2008, but I wasn't there to see it). Not that it remotely matters, because guess who was CEO back then as well...

Even Disneyland over the past couple of years has started to deteriorate in a way that hasn't been seen since the latter Eisner era. I hope it doesn't continue down that path before it's too late. But batten down the hatches and fasten your seatbelts (and hope they haven't slashed the safety inspections). They're going to keep taking a chainsaw to the theme parks and hike prices to compensate for the financial issues elsewhere in the company. It's going to get very ugly.

And if you're someone who doesn't value what 74 has to say about the situation, plenty of other respected people have said the same thing. Marni1971 also warned people not to be excited. His word is still taken seriously on this site isn't it? Please employ some simple critical thinking about this situation. I would love nothing more if Iger miraculously had this sudden "come to god" moment and fixes the damage BOTH he and Chapek have inflicted on the parks. But there is simply no evidence that this is the case, quite the contrary in fact. Over the past couple of days since Chapek was ousted, Genie+ prices skyrocketed once again. The notion that Iger cares about value and pricing is complete BS.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Judging by his utter hatred for the parks (other than a source of income for TWDC), I doubt he’ll ever set foot on parks property again…at least without armed security + the fact he won’t be able to parade around with his name tag…
I think Bob C. is a much bigger parks fan than Bob I., in terms of actually an enjoying an attraction here and there as a guest.

Heppenheimer

True. But I was thinking more about a potential multi-day type of experience that encompassed more than a virtual type theme park.

With things like this there is as much that is reliant on timing and execution as there is on concept.
This is why I would have liked to have seen Disney Parks and Resorts revive Walt's old idea of a ski resort somewhere. Or at least I would have, before the Imagineering dept. was gutted. Something like Mont Tremblant resort, which looks exactly like something Joe Rohde would have designed.

Disney seems unable to think outside a warm weather box, however.

EPCOT-O.G.

I can't speak for Winslet as I don't recall ever actually seen her in anything. DiCaprio's acting in his youth however was quite poor. That said, he definitely got WAY better. I found his performance in the Aviator to be really good, and then Inception as well. Shutter Island is the best i've seen from him.
DiCaprio was nominated for an Academy Award three years before Titanic

lazyboy97o

This is why I would have liked to have seen Disney Parks and Resorts revive Walt's old idea of a ski resort somewhere. Or at least I would have, before the Imagineering dept. was gutted. Something like Mont Tremblant resort, which looks exactly like something Joe Rohde would have designed.

Disney seems unable to think outside a warm weather box, however.
You can’t decide to leave out the heaters to add them later like you can with shade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom