News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

BobPar

I think they are just gonna have to pour hundreds of billions in on content annually.

They thought they could resell old stuff over and over again like they do with their parks
Apples and oranges
Never understood streaming tbh granted im older but i can honestly say i dont have any streaming services that i pay for... perfect example i love my football & now that Amazon has the Thursday night games i barely watch any games now bc of it.. just annoying to me personally especially that i like to switch from streaming to directtv ....

BobPar

The other baffling thing to me is when it comes to D+ how they do not have this free in rooms i have no clue whatsoever... are they really worried people are going to choose to stay in their rooms as opposed to spending money in parks?!? would cost them nothing and potentially convince some people to order it impulsively who most likely wouldnt...

Brer Oswald

The other baffling thing to me is when it comes to D+ how they do not have this free in rooms i have no clue whatsoever... are they really worried people are going to choose to stay in their rooms as opposed to spending money in parks?!? would cost them nothing and potentially convince some people to order it impulsively who most likely wouldnt...
Honestly seems like a no brainer. You’d think with how obsessed this company is about “synergy” it would be a given by this point.

Casper Gutman

That's a big one for sure. An industry that as a whole is bigger than music and movies combined. And he decided, well we can't put a video game on D+ so who cares! And now the only way to get back in, is to go on a spending spree and buy up some studios. Disney has the largest back catalog of IPs that would work great in the video game space. It's a real shame they abandoned it. All they can do is farm it out now, and they've done a poor job with that.
Do any of the major studios have a significant video game division?

Edit: Sony, of course. Any others?

Casper Gutman

Wells respected Disney as a brand and as an institution. Iger does not, it is a nondescript media holding company themed to a mouse or whatever.
As always, time is the enemy. We need a CEO who was nurtured in the entertainment industry prior to the seismic shifts of the mid-80s, and needless to say they're all too old. As much as we harp on about individual personalities, the core problem is structural changes in the US economy and an industry- or even society-wide shift in philosophy.

Nubs70

How is Iger going to explain Avatar 2?

This movie needs to become the 3rd highest grossing film JUST TO BREAK EVEN.

This looks like the daisy chain IED scene in the Hurt Locker. Question is who is in the center of the chain, Bald Bob or Cardigan Bob.

Casper Gutman

This looks like the daisy chain IED scene in the Hurt Locker. Question is who is in the center of the chain, Bald Bob or Cardigan Bob.
If it bombs, it was all the fault of the bad decision making at Fox - nothing to do with Disney.

The real question is what happens to the planned sequels.

CaptainAmerica

Children are always over exaggerated when it comes to driving purchasing power. That was true in the 20th century…but kids don’t want physical “stuff” to the level that they did. Toys are dead.

They want digital media and connectivity in easily digestible forms. Which is the premise of the D+ push. The problem is there is way too much competition in that space.

From what I’ve observed, kids don’t really rely on major Hollywood studios to get their snippets of diversions. That was the miscalculation by Iger and co. It’s not that they aren’t loyal to the Disney brand…they just don’t really need a brand.
Disney+ kids and family content is not about brand loyalty. It's miles away better than everything else in terms of quality, still. Netflix' kids section is trash. Ditto Prime. Most of the other outfits have abandoned the space entirely.

JD80

As a parent, we have to forcibly take kids youtube out of our kids hands by turning off their tablets. We tell them they can watch anything on D+ and when they finally put it on, they are glued to it.

Kids Youtube is like a kids version of TikTok. It's awful.

Lots of amazing content on D+ that I find it mandatory to have on our sub list. And we just cancelled Netflix.

Disstevefan1

As soon as I heard the run time was 3 hours and 12 minutes I said, Nope!
I may try to watch it when it gets dumped on to streaming; I can rewind when I fall asleep.

RSoxNo1

Exactly, it's marketing 101. Basically if you have a product that can be sampled while someone is on vacation (an obvious one is a mattress), you work out deals with hotels to advertise that product in exchange for representation in the hotel. With Disney running these hotels, you've got 36K+ rooms a night where you can introduce people to Disney+. Now I'm sure the majority of guests probably have access to it, but the cost to do it is minimal.

They should also be working with existing partnerships in that arena to do the same thing outside of their own properties.

dreday3

As soon as I heard the run time was 3 hours and 12 minutes I said, Nope!
I may try to watch it when it gets dumped on to streaming; I can rewind when I fall asleep.

I don't know. James Cameron seems to have some kind of magic touch. People see his movies.

I think this will fit the bill of not being a super-hero movie and some people may be tired of those, something new/interesting to look at and may get people to the theatre.

I'm curious to see how much it will make.

Now we won't see it, I've still not even seen the first one! :D

Disstevefan1

I don't know. James Cameron seems to have some kind of magic touch. People see his movies.

I think this will fit the bill of not being a super-hero movie and some people may be tired of those, something new/interesting to look at and may get people to the theatre.

I'm curious to see how much it will make.

Now we won't see it, I've still not even seen the first one! :D
I will save you time on the first one. Think Pocahontas in space. ;)

jpeden

In the Parks
No

I really don't understand this - or even the fact that they don't have the option to SIGN IN to your D+ account on the in-room TV's. I mean, almost all hotels now have the ability for you to sign into your nextflix account or other service. Why wouldn't disney have the same thing, even if it was only for D+?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom