News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

brideck

1. Try to get theatrical/streaming mix back on track. The mix is off, and it is clear that too many movies that could be decent hits theatrically are going straight to D+, which has very little value add compared to a TV show.
Not just what gets released where, but the release window itself is way too short for so many things. There is little to no incentive for a family to wrangle their kids to go see something like Lightyear in the theater when they know with certainty that it's going to be turning up on D+ in just a few weeks (6-7 in that case), and it's a terrible trade for Disney's short-term bottom-line. ~$40 for a family of four at the movies is replaced by a single monthly D+ sub that the family would probably have anyway. Despite all that, Lightyear still made more than $100 million at the US box office (one of only 17 movies to-date this year to do so). I have to imagine it could have done better without changing anything about the movie.

gerarar

Premium Member
They really need to do a better job of controlling Genie+.
I was in Paris and decided to go to the resort.
Got up early made it to park before opening and the mess to enter the studio park was awful. Took me 30 minutes to get in because people sure like to cut lines and staff was short.

When I got inside the park crush coaster was already at 60 minutes then within minutes 90 minutes.
Within an hour the tiny park had wait times on everything over 60 minutes.
One thing I noticed that made Crush coaster balloon in time was the fact that there were lots of people using the paid service. Line looked like it wasn’t moving.
Then when I decided to check if it was worth paying I saw they were charging $12 or $15 can’t remember.
No way I was going to pay that price for multiple people.

That is ridiculous especially after paying a high ticket price.
Sad to say I never got to go on the coaster because the wait time just kept going up u til the app showed it closed 2 hours before park closing. The ride was open but looks like they closed off the line to accommodate those in line already.
I really felt cheated that I needed to pay extra to enjoy something that should have been part of my ticket
That's so weird! I had a somewhat different experience when I was there this past July.

Crush Coaster was hovering between a 80-120 minute wait almost the entire day. And this was also Bastille Day, so the 2 parks were extra crowded. I was hopping between WDS and DLP all day long (think I did 7 hops in total, lots of walking lol!).

By 7pm, when WDS was to close for the night, ToT was advertising a 10 minute wait, in reality a walk-on. I did like 7 back to back rides in the last hour. I then went over to Crush Coaster which was showing a 55 minute wait. Line moved pretty quickly and got on within 25 mins. It was okay, but man did it spin a lot haha.

I only purchased one Premium Access ride pass that day, and that was for BTMR. Also got one for Mickey and the Magician. I rode everything I pretty much wanted in the 2 parks on a very busy day, and didn't shell out much for fastpasses. PA for Crush's Coaster sold out by like 12pm that day, it's really the only one that sells out. Everything else is pretty much has instant return times.

Also entering the parks wasn't that bad for me. Maybe 5 mins but there were plenty of lanes. As the day went by, WDS did have fewer and fewer lanes to enter, I think only like 2 by the last couple hours of the park being open. I can see how that can become a bottleneck like you saw/experienced.

Goofyernmost

Yes, but Wall Street doesn't care about that. In fact, the idea of a budgeting czar for their studios is something they'd applaud.
There are two Wall Streets one is the group of high rollers that actually do the work of Wall Street in the form of how they like to see things happen and there is also the Wall Street that is made up of many small investors, especially with Disney. They are the ones that started to show that they were getting cautious about investing in the crap show that currently is Disney because they are investing for the future not for the immediate gain. Most are not even putting profit in there pockets because they are wanting value to continue to increase and give them a feeling of security that the value will still be there when they need it. Sure the big guys can play the game without fear of losing their future but that is not the general public that might buy Shares in Disney just to say they own part of it and those that want their money to be invested in something long term.

The idea that you can continue to bleed the rich for more and more money is strictly a dream. Most didn't get wealthy by being stupid. They can and do think down the road at the sustainability. The wealthy are very fickle when it comes to their personal entertainment and it's value to them. There are places and things all over the world far more exciting and prestigious then going to a park whose main attraction is a fictitious cartoon mouse.

fgmnt

Eddie Sotto tweeted they should bring back and prep Matt Ouimet.
Guy is way too smart (effectively retired before 65) and not someone they would go for. They need a relatively young but level headed and smoothly operating Hollywood executive that at least understands the value of the parks product.

Dan Deesnee

6 years ago they were pulling in box office numbers of 500 million, 1.1 billion, 600 million, 800 million, etc... They didnt hit the 2 billion numbers until the culmination of a cinematic event people were waiting their entire lives to see.

1 year ago Spiderman hit 1.9 billion, 6 months ago Dr. Strange was at 950 million, 4 months ago Thor hit 750 million. I expect Black Panther to hit 1 billion. The narrative that the MCU is dying is far from true.

Wakanda Forever fell off a cliff on it's second weekend with a 64% drop. These larger than usual 2nd weekend drops are new for the MCU. Wakanda won't make anywhere close to what Black Panther made. Production costs are up, box office numbers are down. These are facts.

For example, Thor Ragnarok is generally very well liked, yet Love and Thunder, it's sequel, cost 70 million more and made 80 million less. Not a good sign.

I'm not sure how much of the MCU success is owed to Iger though. Marvel fatigue is a real thing.

Cmdr_Crimson

Iger’s coming back to a company where the books are a complete mess. I don’t feel that Parks have been the cause of this given their profits and revenue. But let’s play Fantasy CEO a for a moment. Let’s say he does away with Genie+ and ILL and the like. Where do you make up the hundreds of millions in revenue shortfalls?
Reservation systen should be removed first and foremost as Universal and Sea World have been having better attendance after they had removed it when many of the Covid restrictions were lifted...

With Genie+ they keep pay per ride option after the first 3 free rides used..If you want to use it after the fourth then the pay option comes in..This is what should have been done IMO.

Oh and Parkhopping after 2 lifted...

Heppenheimer

Agree but i think for the 1st time they openly & loudly chose a side….
I'm not so sure about that.

Walt himself definitely chose sides in the early 50s, although given that the animators strike of 1941 almost killed the company, I can't exactly blame him.

matt9112

Reservation systen should be removed first and foremost as Universal and Sea World have been having better attendance after they had removed it when many of the Covid restrictions were lifted...

With Genie+ they keep pay per ride option after the first 3 free rides used..If you want to use it after the fourth then the pay option comes in..This is what should have been done IMO.

Oh and Parkhopping after 2 lifted...

But they don’t need more attendance is the line. Im not sure if it’s true or not they priced me out years ago but that’s what everyone has always said. PGS is way up isn’t it? Seaworld and universal have capacity to spare. The former is in a place where they will take anything. Disney according to what I read here is full?

jaxonp

Wakanda Forever fell off a cliff on it's second weekend with a 64% drop. These larger than usual 2nd weekend drops are new for the MCU. Wakanda won't make anywhere close to what Black Panther made. Production costs are up, box office numbers are down. These are facts.

For example, Thor Ragnarok is generally very well liked, yet Love and Thunder, it's sequel, cost 70 million more and made 80 million less. Not a good sign.

I'm not sure how much of the MCU success is owed to Iger though. Marvel fatigue is a real thing.

These new marvel movies generally lack focus, aren’t as good, don’t have the star power the originals had and aren’t tying a clear story together like the first 20 films did lol.

Plus you have to be tied to Disney plus to know what the heck is going on. Marvel needs to figure it out and they need to figure it out quick.

Lucus film puts out a handful of films that all really did pretty well and they put a pause to their future while they reevaluated what they need/want to do.

Marvel needs to do the same?

And what has happened to Pixar?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom