News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

EPCOT-O.G.

As a theme park fan, i don't see anything to get excited about for the future (maybe like investors are feeling). Epcot is a mess with half the park having being behind a construction wall for a decade when it's finished. Everything become tacky and cheap, and the dreaded reservation system. And worst of all there is no plan for new attractions being in the horizon, just fluff about 'what we might do' which insults it's fans.
that’s because the daily itinerary for EPCOT’s VP seems to consist of morning Pilates, a smoothie, dressing like a Millennial, bringing his DSLR to EPCOT for midday shots for the ‘gram, doing a vibe check in WS’s (insert festival of the day), and approving the occasional popcorn bucket.

yensid67

ITS ABOUT TIME! Disney FINALLY recognized the PROBLEMS and corrected them! I send Iger hugs and prayers for a successful run as CEO!

phillip9698

So, you must wonder how to solve the current issues. Two to Three new E-tickets in each park in the next 2-3 years (to fight Universal expansions)? Return FastPass but make lightning link an option to go to the FastPass line immediately? Return Disney Express? Remove Park reservations? Bring back true Park Hopping? Remove parking fees at hotels? Free Dining packages? Meaningful Hotel discounts? Ticket promotions (2 for one maybe). Implementing all the above will not cost Disney much and will fix all the dreadful things of the last 10 years. I think that implementing three or more of the above will make Disney World able to keep profits up in the coming 18 to 36 months of recession. A fifth park would be easy just replicate Disney Seas?

I wish this whole everything needs to be an E-ticket philosophy would stop. Build some more stuff that children enjoy. You know who must go where the children are.......adults, that pulls people out of lines for the lower capacity E-tickets. My kids favorite ride in all of WDW is the Skyliner, the bar is not that high folks. Lol!

Build some walk though attractions, some slow boat rides with lots of things to look at, a souped up 4DX theater.................something other than a 500 million dollar E-ticket that takes up an ungodly amount of space.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Who else could they get to agree on half a day's notice who would have the first clue about what they're doing?

This time, it's supposed to be a planned exit rather than whatever the hell him yelling "What's that behind you?!" before running like a madman was supposed to pass as at the onset of the pandemic.

We'll see how it plays out but this reads like a specific agreed upon goal of his return is finding and grooming a suitable replacement.
Iger spent years extending his contract to find a successor, and when he "exited" it was planned and he remained with the company for an additional year to advise Chapek.

That being said he did literally hand things over at the worst time possible.

Tay

I'm honestly a bit surprised how many people are excited right now. What did Chapek do other than say the stuff that had been going on under Iger out loud? Don't get me wrong, Chapek was awful, but Iger isn't some great improvement. The guy bailed as soon as he saw trouble coming for the parks. He sees the trouble subside, and he comes back to reap the glory.
This! He cowardly left at the brink of the pandemic after wastefully spending billions and now wants to come back to be a savior. Dude is a straight narcissist. Honestly this seems like his plan from the jump. Get out of dodge, and choose the person with the personality of a cactus to step in until things rebound and comeback to be a savior.

Skibum1970

The only issue I see (not being an expert on the streaming business) is that most of the park issues started when Iger was still CEO. TRON, the Epcot rework, Galaxies' Edge (both parks), all started when Iger was still CEO. Until Disney is willing to focus on efficiencies when building rides (does every ride need to cost $500M?) and to lay out a thoughtful cohesive plan to developing the parks, we won't see any positive changes to WDW or the other parks. I am somewhat curious about what happens with Genie+, if anything, as it seems to need addressed as it doesn't really work. However, what do I know? Not enough.

note2001

CNBC said that Chapek was only informed last night (presumably time enough to craft a statement on his exit) and that Iger was reached out to on Friday. Incredibly quick but this was clearly brewing with the Board for some time.
He knew it was coming, maybe not that his replacement would be Iger himself, but I'm sure he had plenty of warning that his days were numbered if things didn't change for the better.

note2001

If absolutely nothing else happens, I'm still happy to have a CEO up there who treats people as humans, and not just as wallets to dip into.

I'm sure we will see more humanity from the top toward the cast members and guests. He's already started by sending his message out to the cast members before the press.

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

They don't even mention the parks in their official statements, what are you talking about?

I know this board is all about the parks, but let's not get delusional. Just because you wanted Chapek ousted doesn't mean your reasoning is the same as the Disney board's.

The parks generate more revenue than any other division so it's logical to assume the parks will be a focus for Iger...

FigmentFan82

Hell…streaming is morphing into cable

They’re rebundling and want to sell ads…which won’t fly.

Steaming is definitely here to stay…but it won’t yield the profits the one Robert Iger has promised. That’s the kicker
The kicker is that Disney is in the best position to yield external profit from streaming, merchandise etc. The streaming doesn't need to be the earner as long as they sells the toys from the shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom