News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Casper Gutman

A lot of that is fair, but She-Hulk is legitimately terrible. And a lot of people assume (wrongly) that Ms. Marvel is terrible.
I thought the comic rhythms of She-Hulk were off and the writing wasn’t strong enough, but it was a perfect translation of the source and Maslany was great. It’s problems could be fixed in a second season. It was also the only D+ series I consider a swing-and-miss (Well, Winter Soldier, but that was absolutely destroyed by Covid in multiple ways and still had some strong elements.)

Cmdr_Crimson

This just tells us we should stop watching CNBC and start taking investment advice from Adam The Woo
Yep, just him and his friggin bragging rights living in celebration, buying more dvc and stocks, drinking hot caffinatted beverages and yet still can't get into Universal Orlando..🤣

CaptainAmerica

I thought the comic rhythms of She-Hulk were off and the writing wasn’t strong enough, but it was a perfect translation of the source and Maslany was great. It’s problems could be fixed in a second season. It was also the only D+ series I consider a swing-and-miss (Well, Winter Soldier, but that was absolutely destroyed by Covid in multiple ways and still had some strong elements.)
A yaaas queen fourth-wave feminist fable featuring internet fanboys as the primary antagonist is an unforgivable premise when your job is to sell content to internet fanboys.

AEfx

For the people thinking this move will lead to Iger jettisoning Genie+ and ILL and other revenue-generating parks changes -- you are dreaming. There is no reason Disney would ditch those revenue streams at a time when other segments of the company were piling up scary enough results that the CEO got fired.

I certainly understand the Chapek hate, but have some perspective and do not equate Iger being back to "everything I wanted to happen in the parks will happen now!"
Are people really so naive that they don't understand that those programs didn't just pop out of nowhere, and were well in development under Iger (even the stuff they hauled out using COVID as an excuse to finally launch)?

Just read the note that Wall Street is hoping Iger brings some of that parks strategy to Disney+:

Nathanson then outlined possible changes under Iger. “We would hope and expect that Mr. Iger examines the investment plans at Disney+ and re-focuses their investment on areas of franchise strength and away from broader general entertainment content,” he wrote. “In other words, Disney+, and Disney’s shareholders, could probably do better with fewer end-state subscribers made up of super fans willing to pay high revenue per user, which would generate much higher margins.”

This is what all the streamers are learning. Initially they sought to be a "jack of all trades" and attempted to make themselves one-stop-shops when that just doesn't make sense because they just can't keep up with that much original content. This is why HBO Max is pulling back from Kids/Family programming, and Disney+ is refocusing on it. Families have proven they will subscribe to 2-3 services for various things, and Disney+ will hopefully just start doing more of what they do best.

esskay

Will he call off the lay-offs and hiring freeze and break up the task force? Will he roll back the price increases? Will maintenance be improved? It means nothing to anyone but investors.
(not got a shread of any informed information, purely speculating)

I'd imagine the lay-offs and hiring freeze will carry on. But I'd expect park services to improve, even if only slightly. Chapek was pretty ruthless with cuts to the parks, Iger for all his faults 'got' the international tourist - a segment most here seem to forget about. It's that segment that brings the most money into the parks, and its them who've had the biggest cuts - no DME, no Dining Plan (Yes you hate it - intl visitors dont), paying to park at hotels, idiotic park reservations, totally cruddy Genie+, etc.

Some of these were obviously in the pipeline pre-Chapek but its undenable that they've not left international visitors with a bad taste. Price increses whilst sucky can be accepted, but the insane levels of "Here, have some inconvenience" nonsense Chapek introduce for practically zero gain will hopefully go.

Iger spent years building up the ideal perks to keep people on-site. Chapek threw every single one of them away within a year. Right now its vastly cheaper and easier to stay off site, and spend less in the parks. If Iger can bring back MDE and the Dining Plan (with the free dining deals they did every year for UK/EU customers) it'll go a long way to fixing that side of things.

If nothing else, I hope he kills the pass reservations. I'm probaly being too hopeful for him to kill Genie+ and Lightning Lanes.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 5th gate greenlit within the next 18 months now though as right now Disney's going to get a massive butt whooping when Epic opens.

kingdead

Just read the note that Wall Street is hoping Iger brings some of that parks strategy to Disney+:

Nathanson then outlined possible changes under Iger. “We would hope and expect that Mr. Iger examines the investment plans at Disney+ and re-focuses their investment on areas of franchise strength and away from broader general entertainment content,” he wrote. “In other words, Disney+, and Disney’s shareholders, could probably do better with fewer end-state subscribers made up of super fans willing to pay high revenue per user, which would generate much higher margins.”

A yaaas queen fourth-wave feminist fable featuring internet fanboys as the primary antagonist is an unforgivable premise when your job is to sell content to internet fanboys.
I know I'm in the wrong place to ask but... is this a brand that's actually trying to appeal to CHILDREN anymore?

Slpy3270

The only reason Bob Bakish at Paramount is safe is because Paramount is a family-run enterprise whose board answers to the Redstones more than shareholders, and thus far Bakish has full backing of the Redstones.

Brian Roberts is safe at Comcast because, well, he is Comcast.

CaptainAmerica

Staggs should be on the short list for next CEO IMO.

The only reason Bob Bakish at Paramount is safe is because Paramount is a family-run enterprise whose board answers to the Redstones more than shareholders, and thus far Bakish has full backing of the Redstones.

Brian Roberts is safe at Comcast because, well, he is Comcast.
Where's that joker 1974 at? I'm getting all these weird flashbacks.

"Iger fumbles China"
"...oddly waifish man of anemic personality..."
"Change is coming. Big, spirited change."

Mr. Moderate

I predicted over a year ago on this forum that Chapek wouldn't last long as he had the look and stench about him that screamed that he was the wrong person for the job. I find it fascinating though that on social media last night, the diehard fans were all happy and likened the return of Iger, like he was the savior of the parks and resorts, coming to save us all. Conveniently forgetting that Iger's decisions and policies put in place during his tenure, left many fans like me out in the cold and made the parks the unfordable mess that they currently are. Iger is more polished and not as tone deaf as Chapek, who is a clod, however they're cut from the same cloth. Iger may please Wallstreet to some extent, but I think the fans are fooling themselves if they think a return to better days are ahead. Prices won't be coming down, nor will Genie + plus and all the nonsense that makes going to the parks nowadays painful, disappear. I wish that was the case, but I own't hold out any hope.

phillip9698

A lot of that is fair, but She-Hulk is legitimately terrible. And a lot of people assume (wrongly) that Ms. Marvel is terrible.

Thats an opinion. I actually liked She-Hulk more than Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye, and Moon Knight. It was refreshing for me to watch a show that didnt need to be a cog into some future Big Bad storyline. Also they did a good job of keeping the spirit of her most popular comics alive in the show.

SteamboatJoe

Are people really so naive that they don't understand that those programs didn't just pop out of nowhere, and were well in development under Iger (even the stuff they hauled out using COVID as an excuse to finally launch)?

This is what all the streamers are learning. Initially they sought to be a "jack of all trades" and attempted to make themselves one-stop-shops when that just doesn't make sense because they just can't keep up with that much original content. This is why HBO Max is pulling back from Kids/Family programming, and Disney+ is refocusing on it. Families have proven they will subscribe to 2-3 services for various things, and Disney+ will hopefully just start doing more of what they do best.

IMO content is king in streaming but its all about quality, not quantity. Casual viewers will flock to streaming services for that one can't miss cultural phenomenon of a show....Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, etc. Many leave after those runs are over but many don't. Disney is blessed with ability and resources to create a show of such quality but also with decades of a back catalogue of material they own to serve as filler material, some of which they haven't even made available yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom