News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He will provide stability for the company, which it needs. Chapek’s impact on the overall business this year has been terrible and would certainly have impacted the parks. Hopefully Iger can right the ship before riding a dinghy into retirement.

Who am I kidding? This will allow him to simultaneously run to be the youthful candidate for President of the United States in 2024.

I agree they used the wrong set of movies. Shouldhave stuck with the classics for sure. RISE would be tougher to retheme tho right? MfSR should be an easier fix? What about expanding the land cant it hold another ride or 2 and i dont know maybe take away Muppets and make that entire area SW by adding another proper ride/attraction and give Muppets the love they deserve elsewhere? Spitballing out loud here.
I actually think it would be almost astoundingly simple them to do it.

They won’t…already not until a Gen Xer takes over at it might be too late then

chama1

Wow...knew this was coming...hope this change will bring Disney back to what it use to be...maybe wishful thinking on my part....

Sir_Cliff

One thing that has been interesting in both Iger's initial ascent to CEO of Disney and this return has been a narrative promoted in the media about a decline in the standard of the parks. That narrative was part of the whole Save Disney movement that brought down Eisner and it has been curious to watch publications like WSJ pick it up and run with that narrative again recently when you'd think all they would really care about is whether the parks were making money.

Kind of curious to me whether this represents a PR playbook from Iger and/or whether the symbolism of Disney World is falling into ruin is just particularly powerful for those who want to push a new direction at the company in the public sphere.

dreday3

Feel free to roast me if this turns out to be wrong but I think it’s complete fantasy to think Iger will fire Christine McCarthy any time soon, and extremely unlikely he’ll do it period.

Also I keep reading things like "he's bringing back Illuminatioins! he's bringing back the Citizens of Hollywood" - no, I don't think so.

My hope only extends to possible resort perks coming back. But I'm not naïve enough to think that's where the focus will be. :)

Sorry to see you're out of a job. ;)

durangojim

One thing I'm slightly hopeful and optimistic for is that Iger seems willing to learn from his or at least others' mistakes. I'm willing to see if he walks back some of the policies that have been instituted for the past 5 years. I also wonder if this may have been his plan all along, let Chapek be the fall guy for failed policies, and covid. Go out on top and then come back as a savior while getting to have a more thorough process for a replacement.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I’m surprised some of you are skocked.

I’m mildly surprised about Iger.
I’m not remotely surprised about Chapek.

He wasn’t doing anything Wall Street wanted him to do. He was trying to run Disney like a cash-cow blue chip company, when Wall Street had priced it as a top line growth company.

He was the subject of constant hit pieces in the press, full of quotes from his subordinates.

The loudest most visible person on America’s leading business network recently started calling for his firing, repeatedly, and harshly.

This was far more likely than not in recent weeks/months.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Also I keep reading things like "he's bringing back Illuminatioins! he's bringing back the Citizens of Hollywood" - no, I don't think so.

My hope only extends to possible resort perks coming back. But I'm not naïve enough to think that's where the focus will be. :)

Sorry to see you're out of a job. ;)
It’s been a minute but last I heard the citizens of Hollywood were still coming back eventually? They’re using them in corporate buyouts.

dreday3

It’s been a minute but last I heard the citizens of Hollywood were still coming back eventually? They’re using them in corporate buyouts.

Oh maybe. I thought they were cut while Iger was still there, but admittedly I don't follow as closely as you guys.

Would be nice to see them back.

EPCOT-O.G.

Iger’s coming back to a company where the books are a complete mess. I don’t feel that Parks have been the cause of this given their profits and revenue. But let’s play Fantasy CEO a for a moment. Let’s say he does away with Genie+ and ILL and the like. Where do you make up the hundreds of millions in revenue shortfalls?

BuenaVistaBob

This is good news! :cool: I hope the following will be addressed:
  • Annual Passes
  • Park Hoping Restrictions
  • Park Reservations
  • Listening to fans
  • The need for either expansion at the existing parks or adding park due to the many Vacation Club Villas and Hotels

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom