News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

LSLS

Nobody has any clue what Christine McCarthy said on corporate earnings releases except for a few dozen weirdos on the internet. I guarantee you that less than 5% of the people in the Magic Kingdom could name the Disney CFO on any given day, an I'm including cast members in that.

I don't disagree with the CFO stuff to an extent, but I think you are wrong about the number of people that could name the Disney CEO. My wife and parents (all who don't follow Disney boards or things like that) all know Chapek and Iger. Social media has a lot of people knowing more than you would think. And while I don't think most know the CFO, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of DVC/Pass holders have heard what the CFO says in those meetings for the same reasons.

BobPar

I just woke up. My iPad was bursting with notifications. This is going to be an interesting ride, not that I expect Iger to reverse any decisions.
You dont think he can/will
Learn from his mistakes? Im no big fan as ive stated the other day when we discussed but you have to think he is not blind to the fact of the mess he created with the lack of proper patk investment to actually increase capacity and the fact he knows people were willing to pay and now im sure they have to be worried about the direction hence the move you have to hope he greenlights some of these smaller simpler projects that can easily help with the burden park guests are facing during majority times of the year…

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And while I don't think most know the CFO, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of DVC/Pass holders have heard what the CFO says in those meetings for the same reasons.
"Unfavorable attendance mix" was not a tactical slip-up or a poor choice of words. Any CFO who had to explain that quarter's results would have been obligated to say the same thing. It's a financial term of art and I guarantee you there's nobody in the company or on the BoD who ding her for using it.

BobPar

That was my first thought as well…

But there’s something with his streaming strategy too…more to follow.

For us…what matters is do they respond in Orlando at all.

Even though Disney fans swallowed all the price hikes - cause we’re freaking children - Comcast “won Covid” in Orlando and it isn’t close.

That stupid bad Star Wars Hotel is empty…next to an already dilapidated land.
That isn’t on chapek.
What is the answer to those 2 issues with Star Wars? Again it is mindboggling how they bungler literally one of if not the worst biggest best and most popular IP…

ToTBellHop

I’ve wanted this since Chapek did away with Disney’s Magical Express. Never seen a man ruin a company as fast as Chapek did. Wecome Back Igor!!!
1669033013886.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What is the answer to those 2 issues with Star Wars? Again it is mindboggling how they bungler literally one of if not the worst biggest best and most popular IP…
Retheme is the logical move.

It was built to two awful new movie blocks that they flopped on before they ever got to the screen…

So you ingratiate yourself to what has carried your franchise since day one. So obvious…it could work

Sir_Cliff

You don’t remember 2008-2012?

That was darkest time for parks. Iger owned that.

Under Iger park ops were always the first thing cut. Go back through this forum detailing it all.

Chapek was terrible, but Iger was not much better.
There is something of a contest there, at least regarding WDW (at DLR, things got a lot rosier). By the end of Eisner's term, however, the best they could come up with as a new park was HKDL, which was a Magic Kingdom park without any of the major attractions but that at least looked nice. The other new stuff they were building (DCA and WDSP) didn't even look visually appealing. For all his supposed sensibility for the parks, Eisner was also perfectly happy to completely destroy their theming with giant novelty icons smack bang in the middle of the parks. Maintenance, particularly at Disneyland, also became embarrassing under Eisner. Admittedly, WDW seemed better managed... until Eisner promoted the head of DLR to head of Parks & Resorts. In general, Disney parks were kind of cheap and tacky by the end of Eisner's term.

Again, I agree that Iger is not the knight in shining armour that people hope he will be for the parks and he's not going to unwind a lot of the changes that were introduced under Chapek's watch. In part, as far as I know, because they were probably planned while Iger was CEO. I hold out a little bit of hope, however, that he reads the room a lot better than Chapek did on any issue that came before him and will at least make an effort not to actively antagonise guests. In this regard, I do think the aggressiveness of the changes under Chapek will slow down. I also hold out a little bit of hope that after his late-in-life realisation of the parks' potential to generate massive earnings that he might be a little less timid than Chapek would have been in expanding capacity.

We shall see.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I know this is not going to happen but Disney needs to totally gut the company from horrible movies and Disney Plus stuff to theme parks (the last good non-IP theme park ride was under Eisner).

Iger is Chapek but with a smile.

IMHO, you'll see most of the Chapek appointees be replaced, hopefully by business people and not idealogues.

LSLS

"Unfavorable attendance mix" was not a tactical slip-up or a poor choice of words. Any CFO who had to explain that quarter's results would have been obligated to say the same thing. It's a financial term of art and I guarantee you there's nobody in the company or on the BoD who ding her for using it.
Eh, I think there were poor choices of words given the society we live in now (and how badly that went for Six Flags and their PR). No, I don't think the board thought much of it, nor do I think that is something that gets her fired. I'm just commenting that I think that word got out more than I think maybe you are giving credit for. Back in the day, this stuff would be stuck to a few message boards. But now, it ends up all over social media, with a lot of groups of people who might just casually follow Disney stuff cause it was suggested on their feeds.

BobPar

Retheme is the logical move.

It was built to two awful new movie blocks that they flopped on before they ever got to the screen…

So you ingratiate yourself to what has carried your franchise since day one. So obvious…it could work
I agree they used the wrong set of movies. Shouldhave stuck with the classics for sure. RISE would be tougher to retheme tho right? MfSR should be an easier fix? What about expanding the land cant it hold another ride or 2 and i dont know maybe take away Muppets and make that entire area SW by adding another proper ride/attraction and give Muppets the love they deserve elsewhere? Spitballing out loud here.

Marriedatdisney

Very happy to see Chapek removed.

While much of todays Disney poor performance was amplified by his decisions, it is the result of much longer poor planning. The parks are underinvested in maintenance, service and capacity…and no magical mixture of apps/technology can paper over it. The demand is vastly more than supply. The current strategy is like the Federal Reserve…. Destroy demand (and capture revenue) by simply raising prices. If they provided a great experience at a higher price, it would maybe be more reasonable. But it’s a worse experience at gouging prices, all the while trying to gaslight you into believing it’s great.

As for the real failure here…it lies with Iger and the board. They spent a decade building a succession plan for Iger. And they chased out a lot of executives….for Chapek? There was nothing he did as CEO that wasn’t known about him. Executives like that don’t change as CEO. so now we have two years for them to find the next one? I have little confidence it will have a different outcome with the same people involved.

So what does Iger do? Look for a massive acquisition. It’s the Hail Mary for execs. ‘Buy something’ to throw dust in the air and give them another pool of execs to comb thru and try to find someone they can anoint.

if I were Iger, I’d change the structure. “Disney” needs a Chief creative Officer. Someone that reports to the board. Almost at the ceo level but not. Someone responsible for experience and vision. Then a ceo that executes. Highly unorthodox but disney isn’t like other companies.

HM Spectre

Ok I know I’m not the smartest, so someone explain this to me like I’m 8.

I get firing Chapek, that makes sense.

Why bring back they guy who started all these problems ?
The board probably felt that they had no alternative.

Think of it like a system restore for a computer. You know there’s a problem, but don’t know how to fix it so you go back to the last working state and figure things out from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom