News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
If only his direct compensation was tied to the stock price....
Pw Scrooge GIF

Trauma

Can’t keep up with the news today but Disney stock is getting hammered.

Anything happen ?

Just the Peltz getting rejected news ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can’t keep up with the news today but Disney stock is getting hammered.

Anything happen ?

Just the Peltz getting rejected news ?

News of no change for a company badly managed?

…I have no clue how Wall Street isn’t loving that…

The longer this battle goes on…the more they’ll get hammered.

Trauma

News of no change for a company badly managed?

…I have no clue how Wall Street isn’t loving that…

The longer this battle goes on…the more they’ll get hammered.
Just wait until the markets get over the rate cut fantasy and have start pricing in the recession.

It will be time to go shopping for companies on the cheap.

Just buy good businesses like Costco and avoid bad ones like Disney and you will do very well.

lentesta

Premium Member
And he’s worth every penny of the $0.00 he’s delivered to shareholders in his triumphant return

On the one hand, I believe that professional athletes are worth absolutely every dollar they earn. Their skills are exceedingly rare. The revenue their leagues generate are astronomical. You can draw a direct line to that revenue from the most popular players.

On the other hand, I have trouble believing that any specific CEO has skills that are so exceedingly rare that they deserve hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation.

Using Iger's $32 million in compensation as an example, you mean there's not a single other individual in corporate America who could've delivered results at least as good, for $25 million?

I know this is the same company that has a PhD figuring out the optimal price of hot dogs. So I know $7 million is important to them. Just not with executive pay?

ETA: My new favorite question is how much of Iger's success from 2009 to 2017 was due to essentially 0% interest rates.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On the one hand, I believe that professional athletes are worth absolutely every dollar they earn. Their skills are exceedingly rare. The revenue their leagues generate are astronomical. You can draw a direct line to that revenue from the most popular players.

On the other hand, I have trouble believing that any specific CEO has skills that are so exceedingly rare that they deserve hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation.

Using Iger's $32 million in compensation as an example, you mean there's not a single other individual in corporate America who could've delivered results at least as good, for $25 million?

I know this is the same company that has a PhD figuring out the optimal price of hot dogs. So I know $7 million is important to them. Just not with executive pay?

If you’re a student of history…and I’ve never understood how a human can NOT be one?…you can look at Disneys situation and draw on two things:
1. All managers have a shelf life…burnout is real
2. Second acts never work.

I think this entire charade is because Bob didn’t like his exit - he totally miscalculated - and he didn’t like his taste of retirement/irrelevancy at all.

It all goes back to that. He jumped…no one else did…and he lost his seat at the power table.

But beyond that…these problems that they have now happen if Bob Chapek never existed. The same as when Eisner’s star fell due to technology change…Iger’s fate is because he couldn’t manage a new economic reality that’s just unfolding…and lost site of the need for compelling story that pulls at heartstrings over superficial concerns.

There’s so many mistakes i’m not even sure I have covered them all (but I probably have 😎)

Last edited:

JoeCamel

But did you calculate the cost to train the 25M guy...

Vegas Disney Fan

You’d think so but given they haven’t been able to ”find“ a replacement for Iger for a decade, and the one guy they tried was a disaster, the answer may be no.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You’d think so but given they haven’t been able to ”find“ a replacement for Iger for a decade, and the one guy they tried was a disaster, the answer may be no.
It would be extremely difficult to find a decent CEO to run Disney at that rate these days. Anyone with the capabilities to do so will expect more. Same is true for any company on their level...

lentesta

Premium Member
But did you calculate the cost to train the 25M guy...

I mean, there are people on this forum who I'd feel comfortable looking at whatever deck Iger is presented, and having them pick the best of the three (or whatever) options are in that deck. I'm sure there are tons of people within the company, too, who could do the same.

I should add that I think focusing on "shareholder value" for the last 50 years has been terrible for the US economy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom