News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

lentesta

Premium Member
You’d think so but given they haven’t been able to ”find“ a replacement for Iger for a decade, and the one guy they tried was a disaster, the answer may be no.

I get your point. And we don't know how good any of them would've been. And if I'm following along with your thought, a decent chunk of that succession-planning failure is directly attributable to Iger's unwillingness to cede the limelight.

Lilofan

If you’re a student of history…and I’ve never understood how a human can NOT be one?…you can look at Disneys situation and draw on two things:
1. All managers have a shelf life…burnout is real
2. Second acts never work.

I think this entire charade is because Bob didn’t like his exit - he totally miscalculated - and he didn’t like his taste of retirement/irrelevancy at all.

It all goes back to that. He jumped…no one else did…and he lost his seat at the power table.

But beyond that…these problems that they have now happen if Bob Chapek never existed. The same as when Eisner’s star fell due to technology change…Iger’s fate is because he couldn’t manage a new economic reality that’s just unfolding…and lost site of the need for compelling story that pulls at heartstrings over superficial concerns.

There’s so mistakes i’m not even sure I have covered them all (but I probably have 😎)
The successful controversial and at times hated richest person in the world $251B net worth - Elon Musk. His first act was Pay Pal / Tesla. Now he is focusing on his second act - Space X to make his goals of commercial spaceflight and to colonize Mars a dream into reality. I do share one opinion of Iger / Musk. Both are not in favor of remote work. Get your butt back in the office and produce.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, there are people on this forum who I'd feel comfortable looking at whatever deck Iger is presented, and having them pick the best of the three (or whatever) options are in that deck. I'm sure there are tons of people within the company, too, who could do the same.

I should add that I think focusing on "shareholder value" for the last 50 years has been terrible for the US economy.

The problem with Disney - and why they’re unique - is their product is always emotional attachment. That’s the “shell” that all their tangible product moves under.

So they are an arthouse - cause that’s how emotional attachment is found - running a conglomerate.

Iger drifted to Wall Street and this is why things are wrecked. And they are wrecked. There are way too many examples to repeat again. They have failing units in every department with no relief on the horizon. And that’s very different from any period really in their history. It’s the convergence of short comings

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The successful controversial and at times hated richest person in the world $251B net worth - Elon Musk. His first act was Pay Pal / Tesla. Now he is focusing on his second act - Space X to make his goals of commercial spaceflight and to colonize Mars a dream into reality. I do share one opinion of Iger / Musk. Both are not in favor of remote work.
…you’re the undisputed king

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You think Staggs would ask for more than $32 million? I would have to ask that question to be sure.
I would say that a $32 million compensation package doesn't even crack the top 20 of highest paid CEOs. And to provide another example, the last time I checked, the CEO for Hilton's package is around $24 million or so. Would you expect the Disney CEO to make in that range? I wouldn't. As big as Hilton may be, it is no Disney. For a bit more perspective, the WB Discovery CEO makes more than $32 million from what I understand.

Seems if we want to suggest that we have inflated compensation for CEOs (there is an argument to make that claim IMO), it is across all major companies. Disney isn't an outlier.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would say that a $32 million compensation package doesn't even crack the top 20 of highest paid CEOs. And to provide another example, the last time I checked, the CEO for Hilton's package is around $24 million or so. Would you expect the Disney CEO to make in that range? I wouldn't. As big as Hilton may be, it is no Disney. For a bit more perspective, the WB Discovery CEO makes more than $32 million from what I understand.

Seems if we have inflated compensation for CEOs, it is across all major companies. Disney isn't an outlier.
How did this Morph into: “Bob is a bargain”?

Next we gonna praise his $@!ttty Star Wars?

denyuntilcaught

Both are not in favor of remote work. Get your butt back in the office and produce.
People are producing so the implication that they're not is quite an odd reason to champion Iger and Musk, IMO. If you have staff who isn't producing simply because a shift in where they're working, my suggestion is to look at things like morale and the quality of what's being asked of the teams versus simply "work harder!" If anything, the RTO mandate debate is a distraction from productivity.

Vegas Disney Fan

The problem with Disney - and why they’re unique - is their product is always emotional attachment. That’s the “shell” that all their tangible product moves under.

So they are an arthouse - cause that’s how emotional attachment is found - running a conglomerate.

Iger drifted to Wall Street and this is why things are wrecked. And they are wrecked. There are way too many examples to repeat again. They have failing units in every department with no relief on the horizon. And that’s very different from any period really in their history. It’s the convergence of short comings

The sad thing is Disney isn’t an arthouse anymore, they acquire arthouses and then corporatize them until they no longer create the art that made them successful in the first place.

The vast majority of Disneys success in the last decade has been from Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel.

The other sad thing is much of the former talent in imagineering is gone and now at Universal, and it shows in the quality of the attractions both are building.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The sad thing is Disney isn’t an arthouse anymore, they acquire arthouses and then corporatize them until they no longer create the art that made them successful in the first place.

The vast majority of Disneys success in the last decade has been from Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel.

The other sad thing is much of the former talent in imagineering is gone and now at Universal, and it shows in the quality of the attractions both are building.
But…that’s why they’ve run into a wall.

He has decided they’re Apple…who sells the same crap because of the logo…and there’s no price limits.

Disney has to get deeper than that.
Hell…even Apple can’t quite pull it off anymore.

Trauma

I mean, there are people on this forum who I'd feel comfortable looking at whatever deck Iger is presented, and having them pick the best of the three (or whatever) options are in that deck. I'm sure there are tons of people within the company, too, who could do the same.

I should add that I think focusing on "shareholder value" for the last 50 years has been terrible for the US economy.
I disagree with you strongly here.

I think a CEO’s primary responsibility is shareholder value.

The problem as I see it is stock based compensation.

I want the CEO of Disney focused on its value today while taking the steps to insure that value 25 years from now.

Iger only cares about the next 10-q and that leads to long term destruction of value for the shareholder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom