News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Bocabear

They are certainly putting out a lot of content in the Star Wars and Marvel franchises... and they did just build SWGE plus that hotel experience... I feel like they are using those things...maybe not as quickly as Star Wars fans would like but there is a steady stream of content coming out...
I think it is foolish to forget the core product though....chasing new IP with astronomical price tags, and not doing anything with classic Disney IP and style. The Disney Parks need to still feel like "Disney" in content and quality.
Everyone loves to hate Eisner...and a lot of that was due to things he did his last few years in the position...and the folks he brought in, but in the early 90s he really started reinvigorating the parks... new rides, new ideas... Imagineering seemed to really be flourishing...Not like today where most of the new stuff just looks jobbed-out.

StarshipDisney

It’s sad that Disney has fallen back to the same situation it was in exactly 20 years ago with a loser CEO who refuses to leave that has destroyed any shred of uniqueness or creativity in the parks . Just trying to squeeze every penny left from the consumer just to get through another Wall Street earnings quarter so he can get a fatter payday

Roger That!

One thing for sure is that Disney is little more than a shadow of what it was just 5 years ago, and they have turned a once loyal fan into an everyday critic. I have no plan to visit Disney again until they at least make up my bed every day. An ignored industry standard that helps make Disney into the 2nd rate vacation destination that it has currently become.

Magic Crush Drop

It’s sad that Disney has fallen back to the same situation it was in exactly 20 years ago with a loser CEO who refuses to leave that has destroyed any shred of uniqueness or creativity in the parks . Just trying to squeeze every penny left from the consumer just to get through another Wall Street earnings quarter so he can get a fatter payday
It's almost like Disney is running on a LP. They need someone to scratch it.

Bender123

They are certainly putting out a lot of content in the Star Wars and Marvel franchises... and they did just build SWGE plus that hotel experience... I feel like they are using those things...maybe not as quickly as Star Wars fans would like but there is a steady stream of content coming out...
I think it is foolish to forget the core product though....chasing new IP with astronomical price tags, and not doing anything with classic Disney IP and style. The Disney Parks need to still feel like "Disney" in content and quality.
Everyone loves to hate Eisner...and a lot of that was due to things he did his last few years in the position...and the folks he brought in, but in the early 90s he really started reinvigorating the parks... new rides, new ideas... Imagineering seemed to really be flourishing...Not like today where most of the new stuff just looks jobbed-out.
Content isn't the issue...Good content or content that is in line with the history of the IP they bought is the issue.

SWGE is cool, but they dropped that money to not have any legacy characters? The most common phrase I overhear is "Where is Darth Vader/Luke/etc...". They went all in on the sequels and they are divisive, at best, incoherent at worst. It feels like a different franchise that someone painted a few "fan service" vehicles onto. The stories that were canon were tossed, but now we are getting "Heir to the Empire", but missing all the history and nuance that made the story work...

Marvel is very much the same way...When they bought the company, they had an insane lineup of great movies in the bag and decades of stories that people wanted to see brought to life. What we are getting, now, is all the Disney era creations and changes to classic characters and the latest, "Secret Invasion", is nothing close to the original and isnt even, superficially, close to the original.

Add on that Disney seems dead set on press junkets for their writers and actors to spend time ripping their obsessive fans...Its like they bought these IPs to systematically destroy them and make fans sad.

Robbiem

I’d say Disney is a worse position than 20, or 40 years ago. Then there were problems leading to a management change but by and large quality had been high and the issues leading up to the change were more recent and triggered by external factors like hostile take overs.

Today the issues are long term and internally driven, there aren’t the creative people there anymore waiting to be set free from ‘what would walt do’, or creative planning they’ve gone to new challenges elsewhere. Things have been driven into the ground so much both financially and creatively that people don’t view the Disney brand in the same way they did

I’m not sure what the answer is, or if there is one but I think that Disney needs new leadership from outside to reinvigorate itself

Magic Crush Drop

Today the issues are long term and internally driven, there aren’t the creative people there anymore waiting to be set free from ‘what would walt do’, or creative planning they’ve gone to new challenges elsewhere. Things have been driven into the ground so much both financially and creatively that people don’t view the Disney brand in the same way they did
That would require to completely rewrite the way investors (in Disney's case: other companies) should evaluate companies and set targets.

JusticeDisney

Roger That!

One thing for sure is that Disney is little more than a shadow of what it was just 5 years ago, and they have turned a once loyal fan into an everyday critic. I have no plan to visit Disney again until they at least make up my bed every day. An ignored industry standard that helps make Disney into the 2nd rate vacation destination that it has currently become.
They make the bed every day. Enjoy your next trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He is a businessman...despite his "awwww shucks" look, he is a straight up numbers guy. I just get the feeling that he is either the most incompetent creative leader in Disney History or has absolutely no control over the creatives and let them take over with their politics and values.

Its been proven time and again that Disney is best run by a creative mind, with a strong suit riding shotgun to keep the finances in line. Iger is a stocks first type of guy with a total disconnect from the customers, but his ability to coast on nostalgia has juuuuuuust gotten him enough to get away with the game. His return has showed he has nothing to offer and exposed almost every problem as being his own making.
He was never a creative

He was a tv guy…numbers, contracts, sales.

It got scary for me about 8 years ago when he started talking about himself as such
Cause he’s not. Just no.

So that’s ego…annoiting yourself a skill you don’t have.

But there’s a convergence of factors now that has Disney in real trouble. Not bankruptcy trouble…but a Diminished future.

It’s a lot worse than people round here will entertain.

Go unit by unit and they have nothing really going well

WaltsTreasureChest

I agree, I’m desperate for some new park additions centered around older underutilized IP, if we’re gonna go down the IP road

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All the Star Wars stuff…with a small amount of exception…has sucked.

They can’t get a movie made…they bombed a themed hotel in less than a year.

It’s ridiculous
The problem is they are trying to grab quick scores off crap like the remakes. Which Cheapens the classic stuff while at the same time is burning it up.
Eisner was an actual creative…by resume…

And yes he stayed too long and didn’t read technology correctly towards the end.

But is Disney better off moving forward today than they were in 2003?

They damn well should be considering the size and catalogue…but none of it is improving.

And that’s a crime. So much more to work with based on the growth history…

The problem is people look at the stock price…without the context of how that has changed. The whole system is different.

This is a major impasse here.

Splash4eva

All the Star Wars stuff…with a small amount of exception…has sucked.

They can’t get a movie made…they bombed a themed hotel in less than a year.

It’s ridiculous

The problem is they are trying to grab quick scores off crap like the remakes. Which Cheapens the classic stuff while at the same time is burning it up.

Eisner was an actual creative…by resume…

And yes he stayed too long and didn’t read technology correctly towards the end.

But is Disney better off moving forward today than they were in 2003?

They damn well should be considering the size and catalogue…but none of it is improving.

And that’s a crime. So much more to work with based on the growth history…

The problem is people look at the stock price…without the context of how that has changed. The whole system is different.

This is a major impasse here.
What i find regarding stock price lets face it. With all they have done to get/keep the stock high it has been lets face ut underperforming to say the least

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Only at Deluxes.

Yeah…I was trying to ignore the “defend no matter the truth” thing…but you stirred it up.

Theyre milking something that ended 2 years ago…because they are used to customers just lowering their standards

The advance booking indicate that may be over now…However

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom