News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Rteetz

If you say so.

She took over in 2018. The last excellent WDAS movie was in 2016.
Ralph Breaks the Internet - Nov. 2018 $529M
Frozen II - Nov. 2019 $1.4B
Raya and the Last Dragon - March 2021 $130M
Encanto - Nov. 2021 $256M
Strange World - Nov. 2022 Still in theaters

Ralph was a decent sequel.
Frozen is a juggernaut.
Raya and Encanto are both pandemic movies that struggled due to that and I think poor management under the Chapek regime. Encanto has become a cultural hit tho.
Strange World is struggling but not done yet. Another film I think is poor due to the Chapek regime.

At the very least that’s a solid 3 out of 5 hits.

_caleb

It needs fresh eyes from the outside to come in and evaluate everything top to bottom. Obviously that would never happen because the board is gutless hence why they didn't have a problem with Ren & Stimpy ... I mean Bob Bob.
Chapek brought in McKinsey to be "fresh eyes."

denyuntilcaught

Frozen is a juggernaut.
Raya and Encanto are both pandemic movies that struggled due to that and I think poor management under the Chapek regime. Encanto has become a cultural hit tho.
Strange World is struggling but not done yet. Another film I think is poor due to the Chapek regime.

I was going to say, we've really got to stop mixing what makes something excellent to what makes something successful. And if something wasn't successful, was that Lee's fault or was there someone else - whose name rhymes with paycheck - who reduced marketing budgets to none, resulting in low awareness, ultimately tanking a film?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Frozen is a juggernaut.

If we're doing "hooray for absolute garbage that makes a lot of money," then Genie+ is a better theme park achievement than Spaceship Earth. Because that's what Frozen 2 is. It's cinematic Genie+.

Last edited:

CaptainMickey

Frozen is a juggernaut.

If you compare that list to the stuff the guy before her (John Lasserter) did, it doesn't look so great. I feel like Disney is in a creative dry spell.

SirLink

Chapek brought in McKinsey to be "fresh eyes."

Nah I mean like bring a new CEO to go over everything from an outside perspective like a Stacey Snider for example would make an excellent job. It would be better. Snider went at the merger of Disney and Fox and that was a travesty.

Rteetz

If we're doing "hooray for absolute garbage that makes a lot of money," then Genie+ is a better theme park achievement than Spaceship Earth. Because that's what Frozen 2 is. It's cinematic Genie+.
I like Frozen II better than Frozen in terms of movie. You can’t say they weren’t successes tho. Good or not, $1B+ isn’t something that every film does.

Rteetz

If you compare that list to the stuff the guy before her (John Lasserter) did, it doesn't look so great. I feel like Disney is in a creative dry spell.
It’s extremely hard to compare when she was working through a pandemic that shut down theaters and forced companies to reevaluate how they do things. These 45 days in theaters to Disney+ hurts theater numbers.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I like Frozen II better than Frozen in terms of movie. You can’t say they weren’t successes tho. Good or not, $1B+ isn’t something that every film does.

It’s extremely hard to compare when she was working through a pandemic that shut down theaters and forced companies to reevaluate how they do things. These 45 days in theaters to Disney+ hurts theater numbers.
To be clear, I was making a subjective statement vis-a-vis the quality of the films themselves, not a financial statement about their performance. Obviously Frozen and Frozen 2 have done gangbusters and the rest of the portfolio has been pretty much impossible to evaluate in light of COVID. I'm saying they suck, not that they're failures.

Rteetz

To be clear, I was making a subjective statement vis-a-vis the quality of the films themselves, not a financial statement about their performance. Obviously Frozen and Frozen 2 have done gangbusters and the rest of the portfolio has been pretty much impossible to evaluate in light of COVID. I'm saying they suck, not that they're failures.
You can dislike a movie but you can’t say she hasn’t had successes. Any company is going to measure success by the money. Frozen II was huge.

Casper Gutman

If you think Encanto sucks, it’s because you really wanted to think that.

CaptainMickey

If you think Encanto sucks, it’s because you really wanted to think that.
Encanto is definitely the best of the lot. Great music and a great song can really help make a movie much better. Disney need to remember that.

Frozen II was not near as good as the first. Especially when you consider the music! Any follow up to frozen would make a ton of cash, good or bad.

CaptainMickey

Not talking about the numbers. I totally get the pandemic hitting the numbers. I'm talking about the STORIES. I'm talking about creatively, the movies are just not as good. They can't seem to write good stories now. Average seems to be the best they can do right now. Hopefully that improves with everyone back in the office.

Rteetz

Not talking about the numbers. I totally get the pandemic hitting the numbers. I'm talking about the STORIES. I'm talking about creatively, the movies are just not as good. They can't seem to write good stories now. Average seems to be the best they can do right now. Hopefully that improves with everyone back in the office.
I do agree Raya was below average. However I think Encanto is fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom