News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

_caleb

The parks are a numbers problem. And that is iger’s fault.

They added almost zero capacity during the last 20 years and the attendance went up 25%

It’s not a price issue - as all the self appointed millennial accountants spout here - you’re not selling Peter Pan for $500 to kill the crowd.

They will never thread that needle because revenues will fall.

They need a real building program…which when Iger Sorta got towards the end when he pooched it
But now we’re getting Iger 2.0, he’s a leaner, meaner Iger who really wants to buff his legacy with the announcement of a 5th gate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's just completely mindboggling. Disney, aside from any other company was ready to provide massive amounts of content to an audience that was locked up in their homes. They had not only 1, not 2 but THREE animation divisions (including their television animation division) that could've churned out content because the animators could've worked from home and did... NOTHING. Both on Iger and Chapek's watch because they wanted live action content!
Between Up and Toy Story 4, a ten year span, Pixar put out 12 movies inclusively.

That's 1.2 movies per year.

Between Toy Story 4 and Lightyear, a 3 year span (2019 - 2022), Pixar put out 6 movies inclusively. That's 2 movies per year.

So, during the pandemic, Pixar *increased* it's rate of producing movies (not to mention all the shorts and mini-series for D+ during that time).

The same for DAS, the output actually slightly increased.

TwilightZone

I thought the same… Chapek seemed to alienate everyone, whether CM, guest, actor… I wonder if Feige or Favreau or one of the other big names got into it with Chapek and was going to walk and the BOD preemptively stopped that from happening?
Yeah, this. I have looked around, and a lot of supposed (I always say supposed because you can never know with internet comments) CMs really hated Chapek. There was a lot more bad with his management that the public is aware on the surface.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is GREAT news because it means Bob Chapek has left...

Bob Chapek was a clueless and charmless dork who swam way out into the deep end of Showmanship when he should have stayed in the shallow end of Merchandising where he belonged.

I can only assume that the Board begged Mr. Iger to return temporarily and save the sinking ship, and to begin a 12 month process of vetting and sourcing a new leadership team to fix the Walt Disney Company.

Shades of 1983, if I were to be optimistic.
Let me be clear here:

Chapek was the worst executive in Disneys history and it’s not close.

But Iger needs to do better.

What?!?!?

Yes. BETTER.

Period.

Start with a line of succession…then get the creative houses in order…then get the parks reinforced as they face a threat at Least in Orlando…get over the China thing - it’s not gonna hold…
Then exit gracefully once they are more stable

Casper Gutman

It's unfortunate they don't go back to the MCU shows they created for Netflix.
They are - Charlie 's Daredevil is getting a soft reboot on Disney+. The Disney+ stuff has a better track record then the Netflix material which produced two and a half great seasons of TV (1.5 of Daredevil and 1 of Jessica Jones) and, outside of that, a bunch of dreary, monotonous, overlong, self-important content.

Some people are grumbling about recent MCU, which is only remarkable because of the amazing lack of any grumbles over the previous 20-some films. The grumblers have a hard time agreeing on what they're grumbling about ("Raimi's Strange was great, but Thor was clearly the death knell of the MCU." "What! The MCU is clearly dead, and Doctor Strange did it. Thor was great.") Meanwhile the box office remains remarkably consistent. And of course, if things actually do get dicey, Feige just needs to hit the button marked MUTANTS.

TwilightZone

Between Up and Toy Story 4, a ten year span, Pixar put out 12 movies inclusively.

Between Toy Story 4 and Lightyear, a 3 year span (2019 - 2022), Pixar put out 6 movies inclusively. That's 2 movies per year.

So, during the pandemic, Pixar *increased* it's rate of producing movies (not to mention all the shorts and mini-series for D+ during that time).

Let's not forget the smaller Disney+ animations and disney animated tv series on both D+ and Disney Channel. I think everyone forgets about those.

Skywise

The parks are a numbers problem. And that is iger’s fault.

They added almost zero capacity during the last 20 years and the attendance went up 25%

It’s not a price issue - as all the self appointed millennial accountants spout here - you’re not selling Peter Pan for $500 to kill the crowd.

They will never thread that needle because revenues will fall.

They need a real building program…which when Iger Sorta got towards the end when he pooched it
they've also trimmed down experiences in both the parks and resorts. The resorts should be expanded with MORE entertainment and restaurants and instead they just added more rooms and dumbed down the experiences - but I directly blame Chapek for that although it was under Iger's watch.
The fact of the matter is that Iger was just using Steve Jobs' ideas through the 2000s until Jobs died. Then all Iger could do was buy his way into expanding the company through different IPs and losing 'Disney' in the process.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But now we’re getting Iger 2.0, he’s a leaner, meaner Iger who really wants to buff his legacy with the announcement of a 5th gate.
No…he’s now a “savior” figure that didn’t like being irrelevant for the last year…

That is not the same guy. It may be a bigger deal than you think.

Remember he followed a “saviour”…and was acceptable to roy because he was dull and predictable.

So I’m very interested now

Jrb1979

No…he’s now a “savior” figure that didn’t like being irrelevant for the last year…

Remember he followed a “saviour”…and was acceptable to roy because he was dull and predictable.

I have my doubts as I don't see much changing parks wise.

Skywise

Wow... a whole 2 movies per year (and not good ones at that)... You don't DO massive movies on a streaming service that measures in WEEKS, let alone MONTHS before the attention span dissipates.

_caleb

Come on, you can see a little chance for a new and improved Iger! Especially if he’s got to play the anti-Chapek and his political aspirations are over, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom