Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

twebber55

I see what you're saying, and that's true - to a point. But I won't schedule a trip around even a FANTASTICALLY executed Pandora. Moderate to great SW will get me there 3x a year.
im not saying IP doesn't matter but there are too many examples that prove IP is not as important as execution and commitment to the project
ie splash mtn, Tower of Terror

Electricsoup

im not saying IP doesn't matter but there are too many examples that prove IP is not as important as execution and commitment to the project

I would say that's a true statement for enjoyment of the ride. But for the pull to the park factor, IP most assuredly is a huge factor.

BrianLo

Considering ST II didn't move any needles I continue to be skeptical Star Wars will provide a Potter level lift to the Studios. Sorry Dave...

Considering DHS hasn't (yet) bled any attendance, I consider whatever meagre things they've done to it 'moving the needle' -from disastrous to flat attendance.

The park is on an IV drip of Frozen, Halloween and Star Wars Weekends keeping the place alive.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I believe you are trying to say that despite an IP that is relatively weak in the minds of the core audience is irrelevant when a quality product is delivered. In the case of Tower of Terror, the Twilight Zone narrative is not terribly familiar to the 20 and 30 somethings that are enjoying the attraction. The same can be said for the attraction based on a banished property here in the states. I will add, however, JII had no supporting IP and was beautifully executed until it's de-furbishment.

*1023*

twebber55

I believe you are trying to say that despite an IP that is relatively weak in the minds of the core audience is irrelevant when a quality product is delivered. In the case of Tower of Terror, the Twilight Zone narrative is not terribly familiar to the 20 and 30 somethings that are enjoying the attraction. The same can be said for the attraction based on a banished property here in the states. I will add, however, JII had no supporting IP and was beautifully executed until it's de-furbishment.

*1023*
even IPs that are strong like a whinnie the pooh is an average ride with average waits at MK
heck if you look at theme park insider ratings star tours doesn't rank as high as the other big rides at DHS

SYRIK2000

*1023*

Exactly the rides in Cars Land are fun. But it's the IP fans that will buy the Mater Hat.

BrianLo

Though I also wouldn't be surprised. Given the lack of talk recently as well as possible rumors pointing away from the possibility, i'm going to assume Cars Land is off the table at this point. One hopes we at least get some decent dark rides, I don't know if it's too much to expect an E ticket out of this...

You can count me as one hoping Cars Land stays off the tables, I'm not a fan of homogenizing their different locations around the world.

There are going to be 2 E's out of this one way or another. Something for Star Wars, something for Pixar. I'm more hopeful that they have a good plan for more supporting-act attractions, that's what DHS lacks.

Mike S

*1023*
Tower of Terror actually made me want to watch more Twilight Zone. Thanks to the New Years marathons they've run on SyFy I would say I've seen a good majority of episodes :)

PhotoDave219

Considering DHS hasn't (yet) bled any attendance, I consider whatever meagre things they've done to it 'moving the needle' -from disastrous to flat attendance.

The park is on an IV drip of Frozen, Halloween and Star Wars Weekends keeping the place alive.

They did last year. They did From Jan-March of this year.

MerlinTheGoat

You can count me as one hoping Cars Land stays off the tables, I'm not a fan of homogenizing their different locations around the world.

There are going to be 2 E's out of this one way or another. Something for Star Wars, something for Pixar. I'm more hopeful that they have a good plan for more supporting-act attractions, that's what DHS lacks.
I think it's a bit early to assume Pixar is getting an E ticket, discussion here seems to indicate that Star Wars will be the "big" project and Pixar remains an unknown (though it sounds like it's a lesser part of it). I fully expect an E for Star Wars (unless a budget cut kills the quality per usual), but Pixar is uncertain. As it's going to be the first phase of the project, for all we know it could just be something like Toy Story Playland (something I don't consider unlikely in spite of my hopes to the contrary). TSP has been rumored for DHS in the recent past. So there may not be a Pixar E-ticket.

It all depends on what unique rides are planned for DHS and the quality involved. I'm fine with no Cars Land, but if they don't clone it then they HAVE to have at least one new ride up to par with or better than RSR's quality for the Pixar portion (a classic Disney quality E ticket). I don't at all disagree that parks should stay unique. But carnival rides don't cut it for unique, I don't want anything like Toy Story Playland at WDW, even if it's rethemed to be more "unique" (we've already got Dinorama is it is).

But if I had to guess, clones are probably happening in some form. It sounds like DL and WDW are both getting Star Wars expansions, one would think (given the trends) that they will have similar rides. The question is what kind of clones there are going to be. A clone of a good ride is better than a clone of a bad one. I'd even say a clone of a good ride is preferable to a poor quality original ride. And carnival garbage definitely doesn't cut it in any form.

The only thing that is certain to remain unique in the upcoming work is what they are legally prohibited from building at WDW- Marvel. Unless Guardians of the Galaxy is the Marvel project.

Last edited:

MarkTwain

That is the Liberty Belle at MK.

Went back just to make sure, but I'm almost certain it's the Empress Lilly. The Liberty Belle has a single, centered smokestack; the riverboat on the bag features two, as did the Empress before they were removed to become Fulton's. Also, you'll notice the large arching window overlooking the paddlewheel, a feature that remains on Fulton's to this day (although not as clearly as in vintage photos):

com03577.jpg

doctornick

If a lot of money is really being tossed at DHS, does anyone think it's possible that the Ratatouille ride will be cloned there? Not only is it an E-ticket that is not in the US, but it would really fit the park's need for a higher quality all ages ride. And having the restaurant as well would work too.

flyerjab

If anything were to come to DHS from the Cars IP, I would wish for a dark ride utilizing the trackless ride technology. To me, a ride where the cars could move around with more freedom throughout the attraction would do it for me. That type of ride really needs to debut in WDW somewhere, and DHS would be a great place for it in a Cars theme.

yeti

I hope whatever they have planned for the Pixar expansion is at least considerably more substantial and ambitious than, say, another clone of the Toy Story Playland carnival nonsense. Even if "Pixar Land" isn't going to be as big as the Star Wars plans, i'll still be VERY disappointed if all we're getting for "Phase 1" is THIS garbage-
DSC03801.jpg~original

Though I also wouldn't be surprised. Given the lack of talk recently as well as possible rumors pointing away from the possibility, i'm going to assume Cars Land is off the table at this point. One hopes we at least get some decent dark rides, I don't know if it's too much to expect an E ticket out of this...

I wouldn't call it garbage....regardless, it's probably going to be this + something more substantial.

G00fyDad

Went back just to make sure, but I'm almost certain it's the Empress Lilly. The Liberty Belle has a single, centered smokestack; the riverboat on the bag features two, as did the Empress before they were removed to become Fulton's. Also, you'll notice the large arching window overlooking the paddlewheel, a feature that remains on Fulton's to this day (although not as clearly as in vintage photos):

com03577.jpg

I concede. LOL

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes they are high risk but they are also high reward. Especially when you are the most visited parks in the world. This is not Comcast trying to turn around universal back in the day. That is a risk to investors. Investing in a proper cap ex on a proven entity is required and smart money investors know this.

Yet iger and cfo have to talk down when investing spikes and have to talk It up when the spikes will be receding. They are constantly dancing about spikes being temporary etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom