Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

WDW1974

Original Poster
If that's the case, I'm thinking we need some telephonic communications tomorrow...:cautious:

That depends ... can I talk to the wife? (I'm very concerned ... she told me her 'accident' was the result of you attempting to mow the lawn!!!)

yensidtlaw1969

I don't believe anything has been approved for it. I'd rather they don't touch it beyond making sure it is in tip-top show shape. It is a great ride as is.
I'm inclined to agree - the only issues I've ever had while riding it were show related. I just remember reading a synopsis of planned changes that was making its way around the 'net not too long ago, and some talk even of The Hatbox Ghost possibly making the journey to France (???). Perhaps there was nothing to all that.

RSoxNo1

Endulge me for a moment, numbers wise.... since we're talking the Studios and all....

Studios 1997: 10,500,000
Studios 2014: 10,312,000

Change? -1.79%. in 17 years.

Epcot and Studios have both been Flat in the long run over the past 20 years. Only park that shows significant growth is MK, an astronomical 68% since 1992.
It really is amazing that Epcot and DHS have failed to recover from the opening of DAK. The 1997 numbers for both parks were higher than the 2014 numbers.

Sonconato

Now. C'mon 'sploder, you know I would NEVER tell folks to get excited by Disney in the swamps if there wasn't ample reason.

BTW, funny Twit theory going around (they think this is critical thinking, btw) is that I'm getting them all psyched and then Disney won't doing anything because I'm making all this up and I'll say ''Told ya. You can never trust those damn Disney-bastards like The Weatherman and the oddly waifish man of anemic personality!!! I was right, but things change!!!''

Not happening. Barring WWIII (in which case we'll have a lot more to worry about), the funds are there, the desire to do things has been expressed and the plans have pretty much (no, not an out ... look at the DCA redo, small things were dropped and others added) been etched in stone. Now, just sit back and wait ... or save up and let's all surprise @WDWFigment in Tokyo!
Hey, there...I am trying to go to bed and all I can think of is the oddly waifish man with an anemic personality! That is pure poetry. My eyes are literally watering!

Vegas Disney Fan

It really is amazing that Epcot and DHS have failed to recover from the opening of DAK. The 1997 numbers for both parks were higher than the 2014 numbers.
I'm more amazed they have almost maintained their attendance numbers with very little investment. From a tourist point of view it's terrible but from a business point of view they are cashing in on their original investment. They've left a lot of money on the table by not investing earlier but it's the American dream to own a business that can sustain itself for 17 years with minimal investment, DHS has probably made 10 times what it cost over the last 17 years.

Cesar R M

Endulge me for a moment, numbers wise.... since we're talking the Studios and all....

Studios 1997: 10,500,000
Studios 2014: 10,312,000

Change? -1.79%. in 17 years.

Epcot and Studios have both been Flat in the long run over the past 20 years. Only park that shows significant growth is MK, an astronomical 68% since 1992.
thats some disturbingly awful unbalance!

I'm guessing MK is just getting the new fireworks show you've mentioned before. Can't imagine Disney approved something big for that park.
Id rather see a new night parade than new wishes to be honest.

Cesar R M

It also makes you wonder the physiological aspects of why people just go to MK.
Was it only the park stagnations or early closures?
Could there be other reasons?

If we see intro the past, we will notice that the rise of the famous "fear mongering" tv channels with their negative news 24/7.
The rise of terrorism..etc..
No surprise most people want to increase their visits to places they can FORGET about the "Real world".

truecoat

Now. C'mon 'sploder, you know I would NEVER tell folks to get excited by Disney in the swamps if there wasn't ample reason.

BTW, funny Twit theory going around (they think this is critical thinking, btw) is that I'm getting them all psyched and then Disney won't doing anything because I'm making all this up and I'll say ''Told ya. You can never trust those damn Disney-bastards like The Weatherman and the oddly waifish man of anemic personality!!! I was right, but things change!!!''

Not happening. Barring WWIII (in which case we'll have a lot more to worry about), the funds are there, the desire to do things has been expressed and the plans have pretty much (no, not an out ... look at the DCA redo, small things were dropped and others added) been etched in stone. Now, just sit back and wait ... or save up and let's all surprise @WDWFigment in Tokyo!

How about a Lutz style preview ala his California Adventure report circa 2006?

MarkTwain

It also makes you wonder the physiological aspects of why people just go to MK.
Was it only the park stagnations or early closures?
Could there be other reasons?

If we see intro the past, we will notice that the rise of the famous "fear mongering" tv channels with their negative news 24/7.
The rise of terrorism..etc..
No surprise most people want to increase their visits to places they can FORGET about the "Real world".

It's a great question, and one I don't think Disney thinks about enough. I would argue it's their own advertising and marketing — virtually any marketing for the parks they do promotes solely the castle (from the entry arch sign, to the plastic gift shop bags, to the TV commercials). Disney used to be much more balanced in how they promoted each of their parks.

Vintage WDW merchandise bag:

WDWShopping89.jpg

Spaceship Earth has the largest presence on the bag, and DHS/MGM is represented by the Earful Tower and GMR gangsters. Even Downtown Disney/Disney Village got in on the design, with the Empress Lilly.

WDW merchandise bag today:

disney-gift-bag_zpsfbz6tkrf.jpg

Disney has created the public impression that the only Disney park worth going to is the MK; that the MK is the end-all, be-all of WDW. It's not hard to see why the masses now overcrowd MK when the other parks' attendance are stagnant.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

It's a great question, and one I don't think Disney thinks about enough. I would argue it's their own advertising and marketing — virtually any marketing for the parks they do promotes solely the castle (from the entry arch sign, to the plastic gift shop bags, to the TV commercials). Disney used to be much more balanced in how they promoted each of their parks.

Vintage WDW merchandise bag:

Spaceship Earth has the largest presence on the bag, and DHS/MGM is represented by the Earful Tower and GMR gangsters. Even Downtown Disney/Disney Village got in on the design, with the Empress Lilly.

WDW merchandise bag today:

Disney has created the public impression that the only Disney park worth going to is the MK; that the MK is the end-all, be-all of WDW. It's not hard to see why the masses now overcrowd MK when the other parks' attendance are stagnant.

That is the Liberty Belle at MK.

Edit: it actually is the Empress Lily from Downtown Disney.

Last edited:

Progress.City

What kind of Scrooge doesn't like the Osborne Lights? They are easily the most impressive holiday offering and they receive updates nearly every year. Disney will want them to stay long term as they are the primary holiday offering at DHS.

More on point, the closure of BLT, Sparrow, and apparently One Man's Dream and Animation suggest Pixar work is imminent.
I like the sound of that word, "imminent"...

BrerJon

MK stays open late because they serve no alcohol. Sober patrons returning to their resort.

I don't think that's got anything to do with it. Epcot is often open until midnight during EMH (and used to be frequently open until 11 in the 90s), DHS has plenty of 10PM closings, and you don't really get a lot of people getting blind drunk at Animal Kingdom - if there was a worry about opening late, they wouldn't ever do it.

But despite the rare occasions when they do open late, more often than not the parks that aren't MK are closing early, way earlier than they used to, so it's not surprising in the days of higher ticket prices and it costing more to buy a park hopper that people are going to the park with the most bang for their buck.

CaptainAmerica

First, it's so BRIGHT and WHITE in here (like say Augusta National!) now.

As to why now, it (again) is a matter of they've put things off for years, decades on some things. There's only so long one can wait. I know mindless fanbois (no, I really can't put that another way) will point to TEA numbers and say that Disney has never been doing better in the swamps. The real facts are that the MK has never been doing better (financially) and the resorts have never been doing better .... even EPCOT to some extent due to the two annual food and wine fests. But the entire resort is only a strong as its weakest links and on a park basis that starts with the Studios and then DAK and so on.

Time to fix things started a decade plus ago ... Disney just ignored things.
That's not really my question. I understand and agree with all the reasons the investment is needed. Stale parks, lack of capacity, etc. My question is more about what finally caused this management group, seemingly content to ignore those needs for a decade (as you said), to finally see the light. There had to be a tipping point. Did they always acknowledge a problem and just now decide to fix it? Had they denied the problem even existed? Was it just a matter of getting beyond the bear of the NGE project?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom