Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

biggy H

Endulge me for a moment, numbers wise.... since we're talking the Studios and all....

Studios 1997: 10,500,000
Studios 2014: 10,312,000

Change? -1.79%. in 17 years.

Epcot and Studios have both been Flat in the long run over the past 20 years. Only park that shows significant growth is MK, an astronomical 68% since 1992.

How did September 11 affect those figures and whats the growth since then, also compared to the growth at MK?

Matt_Black

That's not really my question. I understand and agree with all the reasons the investment is needed. Stale parks, lack of capacity, etc. My question is more about what finally caused this management group, seemingly content to ignore those needs for a decade (as you said), to finally see the light. There had to be a tipping point. Did they always acknowledge a problem and just now decide to fix it? Had they denied the problem even existed? Was it just a matter of getting beyond the bear of the NGE project?

Personally, I think it's because the company, in particular the animation division, is doing so well. It's bringing a lot of attention to the parks because when the movies do well, it sparks interest. Especially with Frozen. Until Frozen Ever After opens, DHS is the only spot with Frozen-themed entertainment (not counting the M&G) and that is drawing people to that park. However, because of the state of that park, they may find themselves with little to do while they wait. That is something that needs attention. You can have the best bait in the world, but it serves you no good if the trapping mechanism is rusted shut.

DisneyRoy

:eek::eek::eek::jawdrop::banghead::(
I think you are correct. Pixar first then they can close the left side of the park to start on Star Wars. I think this option also gives them time to figure out what to do with the Osborne Lights.

I certainly agree with you. But that's what has me worried. They put a bunch of money in to start on Pixar and then something happens and they scale the budget back and some of the Star Wars plans get axed. That's what would make me cry....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I noticed the drinks were quite light. My Tiki Rum the other day was so weak it was more like Tiki Run (Out of booze).

Alcohol 'Spensive Mixers cheap it's located at WDW, Any questions?, This is the same organization which removed nut bowls from Mizner's the most expensive bar on property.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Now. C'mon 'sploder, you know I would NEVER tell folks to get excited by Disney in the swamps if there wasn't ample reason.

BTW, funny Twit theory going around (they think this is critical thinking, btw) is that I'm getting them all psyched and then Disney won't doing anything because I'm making all this up and I'll say ''Told ya. You can never trust those damn Disney-bastards like The Weatherman and the oddly waifish man of anemic personality!!! I was right, but things change!!!''

Not happening. Barring WWIII (in which case we'll have a lot more to worry about), the funds are there, the desire to do things has been expressed and the plans have pretty much (no, not an out ... look at the DCA redo, small things were dropped and others added) been etched in stone. Now, just sit back and wait ... or save up and let's all surprise @WDWFigment in Tokyo!

TWDC has taught me to treat them like a politician as in not to trust them AT ALL, I know you always provide great information but with today's TWDC if a tasty acquisition came along which needed the funds allocated to the upgrade past history shows they would grab the shiny object and the expansion plans would become part of some retired imagineer's coffee table book.

Wall St HATES theme park investment (actually ANY investment these days in anything related to plant and equipment) so this project could damage the share price.

So let's say my enthusiasm is well curbed until I see something being constructed.

dizneycrazy09

One would hope it would be "imminent" but the Backlot Tour and Jack Sparrow have been closed for months and there's been no reported construction in those areas. Would be nice if work started immediately upon closure.

My best guess is that after the "Coldest Summer on Record Wintertime Ball Cash Grab" Party is over in September, we may see movement.

gmajew

TWDC has taught me to treat them like a politician as in not to trust them AT ALL, I know you always provide great information but with today's TWDC if a tasty acquisition came along which needed the funds allocated to the upgrade past history shows they would grab the shiny object and the expansion plans would become part of some retired imagineer's coffee table book.

Wall St HATES theme park investment (actually ANY investment these days in anything related to plant and equipment) so this project could damage the share price.

So let's say my enthusiasm is well curbed until I see something being constructed.

Why do you think Wall Street hates investments in the parks? Wall Street only cares about ROI and the returns on the investment. If the parks grow and become more profitable they reward the stock. They do not punish companies for being smart with infrastructure and investment in their business. They just don't reward risky investment thst do not generate a return. They also know a company cannot not improve if it is going to keep growing and producing results.

NearTheEars

It's a great question, and one I don't think Disney thinks about enough. I would argue it's their own advertising and marketing — virtually any marketing for the parks they do promotes solely the castle (from the entry arch sign, to the plastic gift shop bags, to the TV commercials). Disney used to be much more balanced in how they promoted each of their parks.

Vintage WDW merchandise bag:

WDWShopping89.jpg

Spaceship Earth has the largest presence on the bag, and DHS/MGM is represented by the Earful Tower and GMR gangsters. Even Downtown Disney/Disney Village got in on the design, with the Empress Lilly.

WDW merchandise bag today:

disney-gift-bag_zpsfbz6tkrf.jpg

Disney has created the public impression that the only Disney park worth going to is the MK; that the MK is the end-all, be-all of WDW. It's not hard to see why the masses now overcrowd MK when the other parks' attendance are stagnant.

Does the DL Disney Parks bag have Sleeping Beauty castle on it?

Fe Maiden

It also makes you wonder the physiological aspects of why people just go to MK.
Was it only the park stagnations or early closures?
Could there be other reasons?

If we see intro the past, we will notice that the rise of the famous "fear mongering" tv channels with their negative news 24/7.
The rise of terrorism..etc..
No surprise most people want to increase their visits to places they can FORGET about the "Real world".

I believe you're way over-thinking this. Most people go to the MK for the same reasons that my family of 5 (including 13yo, 10yo, and 6yo) spends the most time in the MK: there's more to do, it's open late, and there's not one ride where we have to separate.

I never looked at the MK specifically as an escape from the real world, I guess I look at all our vacations like that. Though to be honest, spending a week on the beaches of OC or Wildwood Crest, NJ is much more of an escape than a week in WDW.

Bocabear

How did September 11 affect those figures and whats the growth since then, also compared to the growth at MK?
September 11th figures are completely irrelevant. Tourism has more than recovered since then...There is a drop in attendance because they have closed too many attractions. When you continue to close attractions and offer less and less for the money, eventually people will stop coming. We have not been to the studios in a couple years...I like all 5 rides there, but it is not enough, and the lines for those rides are usually way too long... It is just not worth it... I wish people would stay away in droves...that would at least make TDO take notice and do something.

stlphil

That's not really my question. I understand and agree with all the reasons the investment is needed. Stale parks, lack of capacity, etc. My question is more about what finally caused this management group, seemingly content to ignore those needs for a decade (as you said), to finally see the light. There had to be a tipping point. Did they always acknowledge a problem and just now decide to fix it? Had they denied the problem even existed? Was it just a matter of getting beyond the bear of the NGE project?
My take: With Shanghai and NGE winding down, and missing the boat (pun intended) on getting new cruise ships into the shipbuilding queue, there is plenty of space to drop 2B over 5 or 6 years and still be able to tell Wall Street that they are keeping P&R capex low. This is still true even if they drop 1B into DL and another 1B overseas over 5-6 years.

CaptainAmerica

My take: With Shanghai and NGE winding down, and missing the boat (pun intended) on getting new cruise ships into the shipbuilding queue, there is plenty of space to drop 2B over 5 or 6 years and still be able to tell Wall Street that they are keeping P&R capex low. This is still true even if they drop 1B into DL and another 1B overseas over 5-6 years.
That's my thinking as well... that it was never a matter of "no," but "not yet."

matt9112

Usually when some says "God forbid" they mean they don't want something to happen...unless the poster was being sarcastic.

Have to agree about the Pixar work being the "beginning".

My thought process was as follows.

Improvements that can be enjoyed by all every dsy of year >holiday lights. If you can do both great but to say oh these lights can't touch those is a bit loony.

doctornick

I don't think that's got anything to do with it. Epcot is often open until midnight during EMH (and used to be frequently open until 11 in the 90s), DHS has plenty of 10PM closings, and you don't really get a lot of people getting blind drunk at Animal Kingdom - if there was a worry about opening late, they wouldn't ever do it.

But despite the rare occasions when they do open late, more often than not the parks that aren't MK are closing early, way earlier than they used to, so it's not surprising in the days of higher ticket prices and it costing more to buy a park hopper that people are going to the park with the most bang for their buck.

One of the things that I hope ultimately happens with the DHS renovation is that they keep that park open later with regularity. Doesn't have to be 1am or anything, but having 10pm be the default closing time would be good.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why do you think Wall Street hates investments in the parks? Wall Street only cares about ROI and the returns on the investment. If the parks grow and become more profitable they reward the stock. They do not punish companies for being smart with infrastructure and investment in their business. They just don't reward risky investment thst do not generate a return. They also know a company cannot not improve if it is going to keep growing and producing results.

Wall St is currently very bearish on investments in 'Physical Things' they want APP's cheap to make companies go from nothing to low billions with only a few tens of millions invested. Low risk high reward, Plant and Equipment is viewed as a much higher risk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom