Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

andysol

Where do you think the lights will be placed 2 years from now?
*1023*

If I'm WDW, I'm doing whatever i have to do to keep it at DHS for the next couple years. Anything that gets feet in the door while the park is under construction and has nothing to show for it yet.

Once they finally open some attractions- hopefully by 2017, I think they would be stupid to not put the lights in Disney Springs. That would bring people from the resorts specifically to DS. What would they do at DS? Eat. Shop. And watch the lights. It's huge. Particularly for the vendors there that will get a massive Christmas shopping boost. Which means Disney can up rent. :)

I really can't imagine them anywhere else once DHS is done.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If I'm WDW, I'm doing whatever i have to do to keep it at DHS for the next couple years. Anything that gets feet in the door while the park is under construction and has nothing to show for it yet.

Once they finally open some attractions- hopefully by 2017, I think they would be stupid to not put the lights in Disney Springs. That would bring people from the resorts specifically to DS. What would they do at DS? Eat. Shop. And watch the lights. It's huge. Particularly for the vendors there that will get a massive Christmas shopping boost. Which means Disney can up rent. :)

I really can't imagine them anywhere else once DHS is done.
Grand Floridian has been having issues with their popcorn lights. Maybe this is a solution? ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
So @WDW1974 the million dollar question is "why now?"

First, it's so BRIGHT and WHITE in here (like say Augusta National!) now.

As to why now, it (again) is a matter of they've put things off for years, decades on some things. There's only so long one can wait. I know mindless fanbois (no, I really can't put that another way) will point to TEA numbers and say that Disney has never been doing better in the swamps. The real facts are that the MK has never been doing better (financially) and the resorts have never been doing better .... even EPCOT to some extent due to the two annual food and wine fests. But the entire resort is only a strong as its weakest links and on a park basis that starts with the Studios and then DAK and so on.

Time to fix things started a decade plus ago ... Disney just ignored things.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Gates have finally completely rebounded from the recession, and WDW is literally busting at the seems..

Epcot will see a portion of the investment as well

I've heard the latter as well. But I truly will believe it when I see it. Disney sees no hurry to do much at that park beyond finding new ways to add upcharge food and beverage events and add a dose of Olaf and the Frozen sisters. It amazes me to think how much of EPCOT is dead versus 1995. And then there's the fact that what isn't dead in FW is dated or tooned.

Nemo14

As to why now, it (again) is a matter of they've put things off for years, decades on some things. There's only so long one can wait. I know mindless fanbois (no, I really can't put that another way) will point to TEA numbers and say that Disney has never been doing better in the swamps. The real facts are that the MK has never been doing better (financially) and the resorts have never been doing better .... even EPCOT to some extent due to the two annual food and win fests. But the entire resort is only a strong as its weakest links and on a park basis that starts with the Studios and then DAK and so on.

Totally off topic, but you can make the site a little less white if you want, unlike Augusta National.

PhotoDave219

As to why now, it (again) is a matter of they've put things off for years, decades on some things. There's only so long one can wait. I know mindless fanbois (no, I really can't put that another way) will point to TEA numbers and say that Disney has never been doing better in the swamps. The real facts are that the MK has never been doing better (financially) and the resorts have never been doing better .... even EPCOT to some extent due to the two annual food and win fests. But the entire resort is only a strong as its weakest links and on a park basis that starts with the Studios and then DAK and so on.

I have a hunch TEA is underestimating MK. The numbers should be over 20M/year.... But more on that And first 6mo attendance after the holiday.

Anyways, it's great to finally have something positive to talk about.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So my guess is once BoD approved funding they pull stuff off the shelf that they have developed and mix and match until they get a cohesive area that falls within the initial budget or do they now start developing ideas and building them out cost wise on spreadsheets?

Nope. They approve a project that is largely completed (in concept as far as what will be built) and has a budget attached.

Again, perhaps it's because of the source (it is MAGICal to be as loved as I am!), but fans seem unwilling to buy into the fact that some VERY GOOD news just happened. To me, if I'm Disney, that really should scare me because if the diehards Pixie Dusters are afraid to believe good stuff is coming, what exactly does that say about their product currently and their track record of delivering the MAGIC?

(Oh and while this should be discussed on the Perfect 10 thread -- or not -- I think that Gad and Crystal have almost no chemistry and that the Comedians is very overrated TV!)

EDIT: to add what @PhotoDave219 posted in #1040 is the deal!

PhotoDave219

I've heard the latter as well. But I truly will believe it when I see it. Disney sees no hurry to do much at that park beyond finding new ways to add upcharge food and beverage events and add a dose of Olaf and the Frozen sisters. It amazes me to think how much of EPCOT is dead versus 1995. And then there's the fact that what isn't dead in FW is dated or tooned.

Letsee.... Epcot 2014 vs Epcot 1995.....

1995: 10,700,000 Guests.
2014: 11,454,000 Guests.

7% change in 20 years or so.

Looks better than if we use the 1992 figure of 11,900,000 guests... which is a -3.75% drop over 22 years.

Pirate665

You know, I'm gonna make a board game off of being a Disney CEO. Every other space will have you draw a decision card. Most will be lame choices ("You put in a horrible new attraction at WDW, people complain but attendance is up. Move forward 10 spaces.") And one or 2 good ones ("You release a new blockbuster movie. Sales are up! And investors are happy! Move forward 3 spaces."). See where this is going... I'll call it....

"If Only I Could Be Bob Iger! Home Edition."

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, one reason is construction codes have changed since the late 60s and early 70s.

The real reason is this is simply how Disney builds. It takes forever for anything to get done.

The only time they have been ahead of schedule is when HKDL (that's in China to some of my friends here) opened in fall of 2005 instead of spring of 2006 as was scheduled. Of course Disney cutting out 60% of the park's planned menu might have had something to do with that.

I think the last time something major at WDW was ready well ahead of time was Splash Mountain in 1992.

Disney-MGM was a rush job as well because Michael and Frank wanted to beat UNI to market in Central Florida.

PhotoDave219

Endulge me for a moment, numbers wise.... since we're talking the Studios and all....

Studios 1997: 10,500,000
Studios 2014: 10,312,000

Change? -1.79%. in 17 years.

Epcot and Studios have both been Flat in the long run over the past 20 years. Only park that shows significant growth is MK, an astronomical 68% since 1992.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wonder what the apparently large budget means for the other parks? Perhaps they all get something to address some concerns?

DAK is largely set with all that has opened and will into 2018.

All three of the remaining parks will see new product. But the lion's share is going to Studios unless they approved something elsewhere by chipping away at the remaking/rebranding budget for Disney-MGM. I don't believe that happened.

cbconglom

The real reason is this is simply how Disney builds. It takes forever for anything to get done.

The only time they have been ahead of schedule is when HKDL (that's in China to some of my friends here) opened in fall of 2005 instead of spring of 2006 as was scheduled. Of course Disney cutting out 60% of the park's planned menu might have had something to do with that.

I think the last time something major at WDW was ready well ahead of time was Splash Mountain in 1992.

Disney-MGM was a rush job as well because Michael and Frank wanted to beat UNI to market in Central Florida.

Speaking of schedules and budgets on other parks, did I miss your thoughts on the oc article today about the 1b for DL?

Mike S

DAK is largely set with all that has opened and will into 2018.

All three of the remaining parks will see new product. But the lion's share is going to Studios unless they approved something elsewhere by chipping away at the remaking/rebranding budget for Disney-MGM. I don't believe that happened.
I'm guessing MK is just getting the new fireworks show you've mentioned before. Can't imagine Disney approved something big for that park.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I believe the Spirit covered this before, but, apparently Universal's expansion is not impacting Disney's decision to invest in Orlando nearly as much as some would believe.

It's not. This is Disney. They truly are delusional with the way they collectively think. The only DIRECT response to Potter and UNI's wave of building has been/is Pandora. That's Disney's Potter Swatter or UNI Swatter or whatever dumb name you wish to apply.

This is Disney seeing real numbers and real trends and real Guest feedback that we'll never see (unless we have any great hackers here?) and making decisions based upon it.

Oh, and the 'DLR news' is sorta amusing since Disney is adding a new garage and significant Star Wars and Marvel product whether the city decides to extend the tax break on tickets for another 30 years (it will!) or not. The posturing sorta makes me ill, but that's what you have to expect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom