Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

zooey

I've talked to plenty. And I've known of their wealth beforehand. ... Some were quite nice and down to earth (the type who would drive themselves, eat at a Denny's from time to time and have been in a Target) and I didn't feel bad that they had these massive fortunes, others were obnoxious and seemed to feel that they truly are from a superior 'tribe' or that the rest of us exist like monkeys at the zoo, to be used for their entertainment!

In other words, there's good and bad in every group you can possibly find.
I've met one billionaire and a couple possible future billionaires and met my fair share of other wealthy folks. In my experience they come in a variety of types, like anyone else. Wealth can make people become out of touch for sure, but I was always surprised how normal they are in the sense that they're human and stumble over their words, make dumb jokes, and otherwise act like everyone else you've ever met. That's why guys like Iger will never change. They just are who they already are. Good or bad.

Jlasoon

There are so few attractions in that park that you can almost count them on one hand.

The park will be a much better place when all is said and finished (years from now). But don't get too crazy with expectations or you'll be disappointed.

Ultimately, this will be a good thing. Isn't that what you should care about?

P.S. I think I'm jumping to Page 40 ... I don't have the time or patience to go through 35 pages. Nope.

With our luck we get another financial Armageddon and they simply close the place down.

The market feels extremely "toppy" right now. Too many people sitting in cash waiting for doomsday. Including me.

Jlasoon

I think that will be how the majority of people will feel. ... But it is a DONE DEAL. Done.

All that remains is scheduling and posturing to get maximum social media exposure for every minute detail ...
Sounds good can't wait to hear about it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
No need to announce anything until D23. Given what happened with Pandora, any construction is unlikely to start until early 2016, given the 2020 opening target, and Universal had half of Skull Island built before they announced anything for that ride, so there's no rush for Disney to start hyping it before their convention.

I am 99.9999% sure you won't hear a thing until D23 (except a possible tease during the earnings call a few weeks before).

Why wouldn't you wait until you have all those fanbois, bloggers, Lifestylers, whores etc in one place with their arthritic thumbs all ready to Tweet the news?

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

On the timing of announcements... a friend of mine just pointed out that Marvel Studios hasn't booked the main hall at Comic-Con this year. Normally they do a big presentation, and with the new Spider-Man you would have thought the coming together of the Civil War cast would have been the big deal.

So if it's not happening at Comic-Con, that almost certainly means D23 is where it's at. So it seems Disney is looking to push their convention as being much more than just a Disneyana-type fan event, but a rival, competing event on Comic-Con's turf and scale. If that's the case, it makes sense that they would want to save any decent park announcements for then too.
Marvel did D23 instead of Comic-Con in both 2011 and 2013 as well. Nothing new.

zooey

I think that will be how the majority of people will feel. ... But it is a DONE DEAL. Done.

All that remains is scheduling and posturing to get maximum social media exposure for every minute detail ...
Will probably leak before anyway, but they didn't allocate that panel at D23 for nothing (hopefully).

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
WDI and Disney Execs have been given tours of the Uni parks a lot. It's pretty common. Same with Universal Creative and Uni execs at Disney. There's a shot out there of Mark Woodbury (head of Universal Creative) being toured around New Fantasyland before opening.

Common practice and common courtesy.

I've talked to plenty. And I've known of their wealth beforehand. ... Some were quite nice and down to earth (the type who would drive themselves, eat at a Denny's from time to time and have been in a Target) and I didn't feel bad that they had these massive fortunes, others were obnoxious and seemed to feel that they truly are from a superior 'tribe' or that the rest of us exist like monkeys at the zoo, to be used for their entertainment!

In other words, there's good and bad in every group you can possibly find.

Michael Bloomberg was very down to earth and nice. Played golf with him and it was nice to hear him act like me when he missed a putt.

Jahona

I posted this before I read that it was a done deal. I speed read through this morning to catch up.

A quick question: is the Disney fan community once again largely ignoring the news because they don't like that it came from me?

(No one ever said the fan community wasn't loaded with ignorant, petulant children!)

Honestly I have no clue who you are. I've not been on these boards all that long or followed the spirit threads. I've only heard your name used in other threads as someone with knowledge.

PhotoDave219

I posted this before I read that it was a done deal. I speed read through this morning to catch up.

Honestly I have no clue who you are. I've not been on these boards all that long or followed the spirit threads. I've only heard your name used in other threads as someone with knowledge.

I know him personally. I consider him a friend. I can say that his information is accurate and vetted before it's put out. He has sources, connections and isn't lying when he name drops.

flyerjab

TSMM expansion is the start. Tip of the iceberg.

Disney is in a spending mood. Seriously.

For this kind of money, the Board gets involved.

TWDC played with that budget too. The figure they widely circulated was $1.2 billion, BUT that didn't include TSMM, WoC, the new Pixar Parade, all those night fests etc. The figure most in the business use when all of that is factored in is somewhere north of $1.6 billion.

I always enjoy reposting quotes like these, as they are both from extremely reliable sources. And yes I know that things change, but if we can't rely on faux 1%ers and hillbillies, who can we rely on?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom