Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

Mawg

The DHS iteration of Radiator Springs is rumored to be an indoor attraction due to the Florida weather.
That's just it, Radiator Springs at DL is about driving through the great out doors and it's great taking in the scenery. I just don't see this working as well as an indoor attraction. So do a Monsters inc land instead. Cars land just doesn't work with all the FL rain.

Mawg

From what I can remember, an older rumor from a couple of years ago was that they were going to build a value engineered clone of the ride. Specifically one which wouldn't include all the rockwork mountains/canyons and was indoors with less impressive scenery.

And yes pray that this isn't the case, what a waste if they did. Originality in rides is the best option, but if you're going to force us to deal with clones, at least have the decency to clone them properly. You can't clone a ride with downgrades and expect not to draw negative comparison to the original. See Pirates WDW vs Disneyland, or Pooh at TDL vs all other versions...

I was going to mention this. I don't want to go to an area of a theme park and wish I was at another theme park where it was done better.

Cesar R M

While I couldn't agree more, I don't think Disney has ever had a ride system that could handle 4,000+ per hour, and certainly not an E Ticket. They seemed to have maxed out around 3,000 an hour in the 1960's, and then crashed towards 1,500 an hour for E Tickets since the 1990's.

But at 2,500 riders per hour the old school Imagineers and park operations guys did their jobs much, much better in the 1960's and 70's than the current crop of MBA execs and Celebrity Imagineers! do in the 21st century.

It's A Small World opened at the World's Fair in '64, and then Disneyland in '66, with an hourly capacity of 2,500+. Carousel of Progress opened at the World's Fair in '64 and Disneyland in '67 with an hourly capacity of 3,000. Pirates opened at Disneyland in 1967 with a capacity of 2,800+ an hour. PeopleMover opened at Disneyland in '67 with an hourly capacity of 2,900. Haunted Mansion opened in '69 with 2,300 per hour, the same as Adventure Thru Inner Space that opened in '67.

Then fast forward to the 21st century when Anaheim alone has triple the attendance of the 1960's and they spent $300 Million on Radiator Springs Racers and it only has a capacity of 1,500 an hour. Frozenstrom will have an hourly capacity of 900 per hour. Both of those rides were, or will be, subject to massive marketing campaigns that will create demand of over 3,000 per hour in very busy theme parks. Children will cry, parents will fume.

The delusional MBA boneheads in TDA/TDO and Celebrity Imagineers! in Glendale who design and approve those things are simply not good at their jobs and clearly have no idea how to run a theme park that respects its customers and employees. That's all there is to it.
hang on, wasn't the mermaid supposed to eat 3,000 per hour? (they supposedly count it as E lol)

Cesar R M

Considering that Avatar will supposedly have an E and D ride, a highly immersive land and potentially a restaurant and shops at a cost of $500 million, I suspect there is more in store for DHS than what is rumored on Micechat. Even if Disney allocated over $500 for infrastructure, that would leave more than $2 billion for attractions.

Also, didn't some of the insiders here indicate that Avatar is not behind schedule?
They still have to torn a few buildings (not many since most are empty sound stages and already closed buildings)
A bus driver told me they're going to build a Death Star in front of GMR to replace the BAH.
put the hat on top
like this amazing idea someone here in the forum asked me to ( I think it was @Mike S ?)

Bonus if the hat was set aflame every day as the spectacular finale.
grege3.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So Im a bit confused. Youve compiled this info from various sources, or Micechat?

I would also say that if Star Wars gets pushed back another year, that puts it far enough out to throw everything rumored out the window. Waaaaay to much could/will change in that long period of time.

And people wonder why I refused to become giddy with excitement over this supposed project...

The Empress Lilly

While I couldn't agree more, I don't think Disney has ever had a ride system that could handle 4,000+ per hour, and certainly not an E Ticket. They seemed to have maxed out around 3,000 an hour in the 1960's, and then crashed towards 1,500 an hour for E Tickets since the 1990's.

But at 2,500 riders per hour the old school Imagineers and park operations guys did their jobs much, much better in the 1960's and 70's than the current crop of MBA execs and Celebrity Imagineers! do in the 21st century.

It's A Small World opened at the World's Fair in '64, and then Disneyland in '66, with an hourly capacity of 2,500+. Carousel of Progress opened at the World's Fair in '64 and Disneyland in '67 with an hourly capacity of 3,000. Pirates opened at Disneyland in 1967 with a capacity of 2,800+ an hour. PeopleMover opened at Disneyland in '67 with an hourly capacity of 2,900. Haunted Mansion opened in '69 with 2,300 per hour, the same as Adventure Thru Inner Space that opened in '67.

Then fast forward to the 21st century when Anaheim alone has triple the attendance of the 1960's and they spent $300 Million on Radiator Springs Racers and it only has a capacity of 1,500 an hour. Frozenstrom will have an hourly capacity of 900 per hour. Both of those rides were, or will be, subject to massive marketing campaigns that will create demand of over 3,000 per hour in very busy theme parks. Children will cry, parents will fume.

The delusional MBA boneheads in TDA/TDO and Celebrity Imagineers! in Glendale who design and approve those things are simply not good at their jobs and clearly have no idea how to run a theme park that respects its customers and employees. That's all there is to it.
Awesome post. One of those hidden declines that are almost invisible (as is common for something hidden, now that I think about it). Where did all the high capacity rides go?

I remember an EPCOT that had E-tickets everywhere, and all were massive people eaters. Long rides too, with enormour capacity, following the Pirates / Mansion example of the 60s. For a period from the mid 60s to the late 80s 'enormous ride capacity' was the answer to crowd management.

Then they build all those medium capacity rides from the early 90s onward, many of them short rides too. (TSMM rather than GMR, TT and Soarin' rather than Horizons or WoM) The answer to crowd management was ever more elaborate queues, and experiments with queue-activity hybrids. With mixed results, for my liking.

The 2010's answer is technology and just-in-time guest delivery. Which is exactly what they ought to be doing, and I still commend WDW for implementing experimental mobile communication device based queue technology. (Which is a really just an awkward way to say NGE, now that I think about it). But capacity doesn't increase, guests can not do more rides, they are only done quicker with their rides, and then spill over into the standby lines of the now overwhelmingly mid-capacity rather high-capacity rides, exacerbating the overcrowding problem.

mahnamahna101

Awesome post. One of those hidden declines that are almost invisible (as is common for something hidden, now that I think about it). Where did all the high capacity rides go?

I remember an EPCOT that had E-tickets everywhere, and all were massive people eaters. Long rides too, with enormour capacity, following the Pirates / Mansion example of the 60s. For a period from the mid 60s to the late 80s 'enormous ride capacity' was the answer to crowd management.

Then they build all those medium capacity rides from the early 90s onward, many of them short rides too. (TSMM rather than GMR, TT and Soarin' rather than Horizons or WoM) The answer to crowd management was ever more elaborate queues, and experiments with queue-activity hybrids. With mixed results, for my liking.

The 2010's answer is technology and just-in-time guest delivery. Which is exactly what they ought to be doing, and I still commend WDW for implementing experimental mobile communication device based queue technology. (Which is a really just an awkward way to say NGE, now that I think about it). But capacity doesn't increase, guests can not do more rides, they are only done quicker with their rides, and then spill over into the standby lines of the now overwhelmingly mid-capacity rather high-capacity rides, exacerbating the overcrowding problem.
If the Imagineers bothered to think it through, every E-ticket, even the thrill rides, could have 2,500-3,000/hr. Soarin' should have had 4 theaters from its opening day. TSMM should have been built with 4 tracks or higher-capacity vehicles from its opening day. RnRC should have been designed to fit 4 per row instead of 2. Same goes for SDMT. Test Track ought to have 4 rows of 4 like DINOSAUR. Peter Pan should have been reworked to fit 4 per boat a long time ago. So many missed opportunities to increase hourly capacity if they had just bothered to go that extra mile.

Star Tours and DINOSAUR are proof that TDO is capable of designed relatively high-capacity Es (Star Tours and DINOSAUR never go above 30-35 minutes even during the FP+ era from my experience... then again, I've never done Star Wars Weekends or Christmas time)

If every E-ticket had 2,500-3,000/hr, you could experience far more in a day and enjoy your visit leisurely. But when you've got 75+ minute waits for some of the big attractions during peak season, you either have to skip it or luck out with a FP+ reservation.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If the Imagineers bothered to think it through, every E-ticket, even the thrill rides, could have 2,500-3,000/hr. Soarin' should have had 4 theaters from its opening day. TSMM should have been built with 4 tracks or higher-capacity vehicles from its opening day. RnRC should have been designed to fit 4 per row instead of 2. Same goes for SDMT. Test Track ought to have 4 rows of 4 like DINOSAUR. Peter Pan should have been reworked to fit 4 per boat a long time ago. So many missed opportunities to increase hourly capacity if they had just bothered to go that extra mile.

Star Tours and DINOSAUR are proof that TDO is capable of designed relatively high-capacity Es (Star Tours and DINOSAUR never go above 30-35 minutes even during the FP+ era from my experience... then again, I've never done Star Wars Weekends or Christmas time)

If every E-ticket had 2,500-3,000/hr, you could experience far more in a day and enjoy your visit leisurely. But when you've got 75+ minute waits for some of the big attractions during peak season, you either have to skip it or luck out with a FP+ reservation.

I agree with Soarin' and TSMM, but the RNRC was limited by Vekoma's coaster options and other factors (it was off the shelf), and not sure if Test Track would have been delayed EVEN LONGER with larger cars, it already had been delayed 3+ years from opening.

mahnamahna101

I agree with Soarin' and TSMM, but the RNRC was limited by Vekoma's coaster options and other factors (it was off the shelf), and not sure if Test Track would have been delayed EVEN LONGER with larger cars, it already had been delayed 3+ years from opening.

Then WDI should have custom-designed it to fit 4 per row with the same amount of rows/trains they currently are. You don't cut corners in capacity to keep the budget down. RnRC shouldn't have 110-150 min waits during regular peak season. Especially when Hulk down the road has 60-70 min waits during the absolute busiest times of the year (July 4th, Christmas/New Year's).

Test Track should have been properly designed before getting the greenlight. 16 people per RV and the same amount of RVs on the track at any one time they have now. Would have been great for capacity.

It just shows you how little thought TDO puts into hourly capacity when they greenlight D/E-tickets these days. Frozen Ever After, TSMM, SDMT, Soarin', Test Track, RnRC - all hastily designed without the infrastructure to hold proper levels of crowds.

peter11435

Then WDI should have custom-designed it to fit 4 per row with the same amount of rows/trains they currently are. You don't cut corners in capacity to keep the budget down. RnRC shouldn't have 110-150 min waits during regular peak season. Especially when Hulk down the road has 60-70 min waits during the absolute busiest times of the year (July 4th, Christmas/New Year's).

Test Track should have been properly designed before getting the greenlight. 16 people per RV and the same amount of RVs on the track at any one time they have now. Would have been great for capacity.

It just shows you how little thought TDO puts into hourly capacity when they greenlight D/E-tickets these days. Frozen Ever After, TSMM, SDMT, Soarin', Test Track, RnRC - all hastily designed without the infrastructure to hold proper levels of crowds.
If test track had been designed to hold 16 guests per vehicle then they would in no way resemble actual cars. Which is kinda the whole point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom