Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry, once again I over estimated the ability of people to recognize farce when they see it. :angelic: Every last word of what I posted was made up from my head. No history books were consulted. I am aware of the cause of the fall of Rome as an, at the time, world power.

Bad leadership and a corrupt ruling class, Hmm just like the Good Ol US of A...

Gibbon's 'The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' is a good read on the subject, If a little lengthy my copy is 3 thick volumes.

TeriofTerror

Sorry, once again I over estimated the ability of people to recognize farce when they see it. :angelic: Every last word of what I posted was made up from my head. No history books were consulted. I am aware of the cause of the fall of Rome as an, at the time, world power.
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with roads. At least that's what I think Judi Dench said...

jt04

In the real world $350 MM goes a long way. At Disney $350 MM buys you one D ticket with awesome theming plus a meet and greet.

Epcot will follow DAK 2.0 and DHS 2.0+ because strategically and practically those parks are more in need of upgrades. I expect MK to get another infusion of cash leading up to the 50th.

I look for Epcot to get major attention after the MK's 50th and leading up to Epcots 50th. So way out there. Piecemeal additions in the meantime.

IMO.

MerlinTheGoat

In the real world $350 MM goes a long way. At Disney $350 MM buys you one D ticket with awesome theming plus a meet and greet.
It's certainly true that Disney is very bloated and things cost immensely more than they should. I wish the budget was more as well. But I do think an intelligent, resourceful and talented group (even with Disney's bloat) could make this budget work some magic on the park.

New Fantasyland came in at well under $500 million from what I heard (can't recall the exact amount). The attractions certainly left a lot to be desired, but a lot of the money was likely dedicated to new building infrastructure as well as the elaborate facades and scenery, they basically started from scratch for a lot of it. Rockwork in particular is notoriously expensive.

Assume for a moment (just to make a point) that most of EPCOT's $350 million went towards Future World. The parts in need of the most help already have existing building that can be repurposed instead of building from stratch. Imagination has a good building (and even partial track) to work with already, same with Universe of Energy. That would no doubt save a good deal of money. Innoventions and Wonders of Life can also reuse a lot of existing infrastructure at least to some extent. And the contemporary architecture wouldn't necessitate the more expensive and elaborate facades or rockwork (again facades are already largely in place, perhaps with only some minor tweaks such as paint and landscaping).

If you save money by reusing existing buildings and facades, the budgets can be focused on the show scenes inside. This is largely what Martin said recently (though I would guess it was just a hopeful opinion rather than a confirmation)-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/bob-iger-at-wdw-now-bod-to-follow.900980/page-131#post-6780427

Though sadly it has been rumored that Imagination may not be part of the project. Doubly sad after seeing the new Figment comic panels posted in the Spirited Thread today. I'd love to hear of an Imagination redo with Dreamfinder's return (ideally with Tony Baxter involved), I almost wonder whether the comic was intended as a sort of tie in with the canned fourth redo of the ride intended for early last year...

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

If DHS is getting 3 billion, why can't EPCOT get a nice budget of one billion? Then you would have all of the parks getting upgrades and expansion at the same time to have better crowd control.
I think it was J. Paul Getty that said something to the affect of.... 3 billion here, 1 billion someplace else and the next thing you know, it becomes a lot of money. (Might have been J.D. Rockefeller)

mahnamahna101

If DHS is getting 3 billion, why can't EPCOT get a nice budget of one billion? Then you would have all of the parks getting upgrades and expansion at the same time to have better crowd control.
EPCOT has a lot more going for it than DHS right now

1. Frozen Ever After + Anna/Elsa M&G=1 to 2 million/yr increase over 3 yrs.
  2. Food and Wine
  3. Flower and Garden
  4. Its capacity is enormous (100,000-120,000 at any given moment)
  5. World Showcase is a cash-cow
  6. Epcot actually has enough for 1.5 to 2 days if you do EVERYTHING and not just the headliners. DHS has 0.75 days worth of stuff now if you're there at 8am rope drop and stay until 10pm (soon to be 0.5).
  7. Soarin' getting a 3rd theater and new ride film should be a minor draw
EPCOT will get $350 million... all of which I'm assuming is Future World, since Frozenstrom has WS covered for 7-10 yrs, sadly.

For that much, they could:
Fix up Imagination ($120 million)
Fix up Energy ($100 million)
Fix up SSE a little bit ($40 million)
Update Illuminations ($60 million)
Placemaking/Innoventions updates ($30 million)

It wouldn't fix everything, but it would bring FW up to speed. A WoL replacement, a new pavillion between Land/Nemo, and a M:S update/replacement would be something for a more substantial Epcot overhaul, if they're smart with the budget.

Crazydisneyfanluke

2. Food and Wine
  3. Flower and Garden
  6. Epcot actually has enough for 1.5 to 2 days if you do EVERYTHING and not just the headliners. DHS has 0.75 days worth of stuff now if you're there at 8am rope drop and stay until 10pm (soon to be 0.5).
EPCOT will get $350 million... all of which I'm assuming is Future World, since Frozenstrom has WS covered for 7-10 yrs, sadly.

It wouldn't fix everything, but it would bring FW up to speed. A WoL replacement, a new pavillion between Land/Nemo, and a M:S update/replacement would be something for a more substantial Epcot overhaul, if they're smart with the budget.
More would go to innoventions instead of SSE. They closed one side except for the MnG. They might also update the decor in the center... (get rid of it) and upgrade the fountain system and speakers (only a few work)

PhotoDave219

2. Food and Wine
  3. Flower and Garden

Where the devil do you get your budget estimations?

WDWLover#1

Any ideas on what the money is going towards for EP/MK? Are we talking attractions or general park refurbs?
MK is just making the park work with current demand from new fantasyland. Adding new restaurants and expanding the hub, adding the bypass and redoing the Liberty tree are part of this. Refurbishments are continuing at a brisk pace. Splash continues to have matinenanance issues but they're working on that. Pirates is getting a proper fix. They're making sure that that park is working properly and sprucing it up. Making sure everything works and is up to date. Before adding anything else they're making sure what they've got is fine.
For Epcot it's another story. Behind the scenes atm is a big problem with management. Nothing can be done while this is going on. A new nighttime show looks to be coming and of course frozen. Soarins theatres are being updated with digital technology and a new film will go in. But that's about it for Epcot. I expect after Hollywood studios gets its revamp, attention will turn to fixing the park. Cos it will stick out like a sore thumb of mismashed ideas compared to the three other parks whom would be at the top of their game.

mahnamahna101

Where the devil do you get your budget estimations?
Um... the fact that everything I said is literally already constructed. All they have to do is fix some of the show scenes for Energy and Imagination.

They're building nothing. Mermaid cost $125 million and that had rockwork. Considering there's no real construction involved with an overhaul, why would $100-120 million be ridiculously low? TSMM cost $80 million, Frozenstrom is $80-100 million, Nemo/Gran Fiesta Tour cost less than $100 million. Why would mild overhauls of two existing pavillions with no real construction involved cost $200 million+ each?

nTrMhYX.jpg
TDO's budgetary team is in worse shape than I thought if it costs more than $100 million to fix some existing show scenes... I don't want a trackless dark ride in Imagination. I just want something more substantial. Energy just needs to be brought to the 21st century.

If they were like Universal Orlando, they could easily do all of what I said for $350 million. Not trying to start a war, but it's the truth. WDI needs to learn how to spend their budgets properly.

Sorry for assuming a lack of construction would cost less...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
MK is just making the park work with current demand from new fantasyland.
Are you saying there is a high demand for NFL? Or that NFL is eating the crowds from demand for MK?

Pirates is getting a proper fix.
We shall see. Hasnt the length of the refurb already been slashed? I hope we dont get Splash Mtn style refurb and its down for a lengthy period only to still need more work a few months later, and Pirates is in a worse state than Splash was when it went down for refurb.

A new nighttime show looks to be coming
Upgrades, or a new show entirely? Has this been verified? Or is this stemming from that article from 'The Infamous?'

Soarins theatres are being updated with digital technology and a new film will go in
I thought it was just getting digital upgrade, did I miss an announcement?

cheezbat

I would like to see Tomorrowland updates at MK for the 50th as well...but more than that I want to see a new E-ticket in the park. While I know many of you think MK shouldn't be a priority because of the crowds it already draws, it still could use more to distribute the crowds already at the park...and heck, it's the parks 50th Anniversary! That's a big deal! Why not go big? It's not like they'll build another E-ticket at MK anytime soon after if history means anything.

As for Epcots piece of the pie...I'd like to see a ride added elsewhere in World Showcase since one side will be attraction heavy and the other won't...
And we all know Future World needs some love. Upgrade Energy. Fix Imagination. Complete the decent on Spaceship Earth.

mahnamahna101

I would like to see Tomorrowland updates at MK for the 50th as well...but more than that I want to see a new E-ticket in the park. While I know many of you think MK shouldn't be a priority because of the crowds it already draws, it still could use more to distribute the crowds already at the park...and heck, it's the parks 50th Anniversary! That's a big deal! Why not go big? It's not like they'll build another E-ticket at MK anytime soon after if history means anything.

As for Epcots piece of the pie...I'd like to see a ride added elsewhere in World Showcase since one side will be attraction heavy and the other won't...
And we all know Future World needs some love. Upgrade Energy. Fix Imagination. Complete the decent on Spaceship Earth.
The only way I would support an E coming to MK is if it were an absolute people-eater (4,000-5,000/hr). The last thing MK needs is another 1,400-1,800/hr D/E lol. Even 2,500-3,000/hr would be good.

Fixing Tomorrowland up is a better bet for $350 million, though. Space Mt, CoP and Stitch need something. And if the Speedway HAS to stay, I'd like some futuristic theming.

cheezbat

The only way I would support an E coming to MK is if it were an absolute people-eater (4,000-5,000/hr). The last thing MK needs is another 1,400-1,800/hr D/E lol. Even 2,500-3,000/hr would be good.

Fixing Tomorrowland up is a better bet for $350 million, though. Space Mt, CoP and Stitch need something. And if the Speedway HAS to stay, I'd like some futuristic theming.
I highly doubt Stitch is going anywhere...I also doubt they'd remove the Speedway, for whatever reason.
Space Mountain needs a complete rebuild like Cali got in 2005, but seeing as how they spent money on a refurb a few years back I doubt they consider it a priority. I think the Pan and Big Thunder updates are more likely to happen. (Here's hoping for a CoP refurb/update!)

As for a new E-ticket capacity...you know they would build something with a capacity of at least 2,000 an hour. They want as much as they can get, since we all know how crowded MK always is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom