Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

ULPO46

As for anything Marvel related at the WDWR i highly doubt it will be anytime soon due to compete agreements and a load of paperwork.

Last edited:

doctornick

As for anything Marvel related at the WDWR i ghighly doubt it will be anytime soon due to comete agreements and a load of paperwork.

It's already been established that the Guardians of the Galaxy characters can be used, as long as the Marvel branding is not present. Whether or not an attraction is made with them is a different story, but the agreement with Uni is not a factor.

Cesar R M

GotG is a no-brainer to replace Stitch. They could even have Yondu's spear be the main 'scare'. As long as they keep the lights on to avoid freaking little kids out over nothing, it could be a big hit with smart budget usage. If MK had a bigger budget ($600-700 million), I'd suggest retheming Buzz to BH6 or Hero's Duty and Laugh Floor getting replaced, since I personally think all Pixar material except Inside Out/Brave belong in DHS.

But I'd be okay with Stitch staying if it meant everything else in Tomorrowland except Buzz gets a nice upgrade/refurb.
But wouldn't that means the need of 3d screens and more animatronics?
Also, they could just replace the poor broken Cosmic Ray with the Stitch Animatronic dressed as Elvis.

Cesar R M

You do realize that short interest in a stock doesn't automatically mean bankruptcy. Some company called Apple is near the top of the top 50 largest short positions right now. I'm not expecting they will be declaring bankruptcy any time soon. DIS doesn't make the list yet.

Also, just listing former successful companies that went bankrupt isn't evidence that TWDC is somehow in trouble. Using that logic every company in the world is on the verge of bankruptcy because it happened to Enron and Lehman. There is next to nothing that links the companies you continue to list as examples to the current DIS. Different industries, different management styles, completely different markets, and a different world. I'm just failing to see the connection.
Actually, Id say Apple is way more on risk than Microsoft or any other tech company.
As their sole drivers is innovation and love for the brand.
The apple sheep (those who wait up to a week before a simple iphone upgrade is out) are what maintains Apple's luxury tax prices for their products.

They got a pretty big hit when the "Messiah God" Jobs left this realm (Tablets selling way less than expecting for example).

Cesar R M

On a side not does anyone feel that we are about to hit another global financial crisis? Look at greece and now even china.
China's problems were always on the horizon. Because they inflated the building market in worse ways than the US did with the housing crisis.
They have been building nonstop. And the majority of these buildings end empty because noone can purchase them at the requested price (leading to many ghost towns and/or huge megacomplexes that only house 10-20 habitants out of the expected capacity of 500-1000)

punkabella

Also, they could just replace the poor broken Cosmic Ray with the Stitch Animatronic dressed as Elvis.
Blasphemy!

I don't think GotG belongs at the MK.. I'm fine with it staying out. I like both Buzz and MILF the way they are, even though they aren't really with the original "idea" or theme behind tomorrowland.. but that would take a bit more money than a minor overhaul. Stitch may be hated, but there really hasn't been anything that has been successful in that spot. Mission to Mars? I remember my dad dragging me to that to sit in the round theater to stare at the circle screen in the center... Stitch does seem like an upgrade to that (although I'm a Skippy fan). Everything is relative...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually, Id say Apple is way more on risk than Microsoft or any other tech company.
The apple sheep (those who wait up to a week before a simple iphone upgrade is out) are what maintains Apple's luxury tax prices for their products.

They got a pretty big hit when the "Messiah God" Jobs left this realm (Tablets selling way less than expecting for example).
Any company is at risk for failing eventually. No company is too big to fail and no industry is going to remain the same for ever. This includes Apple, Google, Disney or whichever company you want to talk about.

There is a big difference between bankruptcy being possible and bankruptcy being probable. Listing a bunch of former industry leaders that are now bankrupt is good evidence that failure is possible even for the biggest and best companies. It does not mean bankruptcy is probable for all or any current companies.

This feels like it's getting way off topic now so I'll end with this. In the next 5 years there is very little chance of either TWDC or Apple going bankrupt. If you don't believe me look how cheap the price of a credit default swap for either company is.

ULPO46

Remember Rome. It once controlled most of the ancient known world. Or the British Empire. All things fail, fall, burn down, merge, or go bankrupt eventually. But knowing and working with the financial aspects of TWDC I can reassure you that there are no signs of bankruptcy. There are signs though that something big is being planned whether another sale of a division or acquisition of another media corporation. Anything else is just speculation from outsiders. But the good news is thanks to the issues in the Euronext, I was able to purchase a nice chunk of Euro Disney Paris. They were almost 2 US dollars a share couldn't take that opportunity and let it go to waste.

ULPO46

China's problems were always on the horizon. Because they inflated the building market in worse ways than the US did with the housing crisis.
They have been building nonstop. And the majority of these buildings end empty because noone can purchase them at the requested price (leading to many ghost towns and/or huge megacomplexes that only house 10-20 habitants out of the expected capacity of 500-1000)
I know I was studying that when I was getting my business degree. But they also are the worlds second largest economy. the Dow Jones and NYSE closed today with a substantial low on the worries on the Chinese Economy and Greece. After all the Chinese own nearly half of our debt so in the long term this will hurt the worlds economy. On a side note, Disney World will still remain packed to the brim I remember in 2008's financial crisis the only place not affected by it was Disney World and Universal people still kept coming. SeaWorld was hit hardest and still hasn't come out of it's economic troubles.

Cesar R M

Any company is at risk for failing eventually. No company is too big to fail and no industry is going to remain the same for ever. This includes Apple, Google, Disney or whichever company you want to talk about.

There is a big difference between bankruptcy being possible and bankruptcy being probable. Listing a bunch of former industry leaders that are now bankrupt is good evidence that failure is possible even for the biggest and best companies. It does not mean bankruptcy is probable for all or any current companies.

This feels like it's getting way off topic now so I'll end with this. In the next 5 years there is very little chance of either TWDC or Apple going bankrupt. If you don't believe me look how cheap the price of a credit default swap for either company is.
except banks!
because the executives of banks... will cry foul, fly on their private jets.. and ask the government to bail them out while whining on how little money they have left as they run to get their corporate bonuses ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Remember Rome. It once controlled most of the ancient known world. Or the British Empire. All things fail, fall, burn down, merge, or go bankrupt eventually. But knowing and working with the financial aspects of TWDC I can reassure you that there are no signs of bankruptcy. There are signs though that something big is being planned whether another sale of a division or acquisition of another media corporation. Anything else is just speculation from outsiders. But the good news is thanks to the issues in the Euronext, I was able to purchase a nice chunk of Euro Disney Paris. They were almost 2 US dollars a share couldn't take that opportunity and let it go to waste.

That's an awesome deal, And proves that money is to be made in times of crisis

Goofyernmost

Sure, but in Rome they ran out of Lions and the christians were allow to take over the world. The first thing they did was to donate the entire Roman Empire fortunes to the Church causing Rome to fall. It was awful to watch, brokers were literally jumping of the hand rail of their chariots. It was a mess that took decades to clean up.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Yep. It's a giant pendulum. Companies get fat. They trim the fat. They trim to much fat and become lean. They hire. They hire too much and become fat again. It's a 5-10 year cycle.

The current efforts underway at TWDC are referred to simply as "the SG&A project." SG&A refers to selling, general, and administrative expenses.

After multiple acquisitions in the past 10 years it isn't abnormal for them to restructure and reduce redundancies. For example, I would imagine there are studio consolidations since they don't need overhead and production units for Marvel, Lucasfilm and WDS. Likewise they probably consolidated the HR departments to some degree and legal departments. Just to name a few.

Matt_Black

After multiple acquisitions in the past 10 years it isn't abnormal for them to restructure and reduce redundancies. For example, I would imagine there are studio consolidations since they don't need overhead and production units for Marvel, Lucasfilm and WDS. Likewise they probably consolidated the HR departments to some degree and legal departments. Just to name a few.

This seems appropriate.

644210989_xZNdA-1050x10000.jpg

MattM

Eh, not really. AAPL was at a split adjusted $50/share when Jobs died (at $123ish now). But of course AAPL is riskier than MSFT, but it's also astronomically outperformed MSFT.

Dont upset the Apple crazies, we need them to keep being crazy ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So when do we get an official announcement of all of this? The earnings release (Aug 4th) seems like a logical time to at least talk about the approved capital spend with maybe some further details or high level concept art at D23 a few weeks later. I can't see them giving us anything before then, but who knows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom