Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

BrerJon

The domain was registered by some guy called Dalt Wisney.

Cover identity, perhaps? Could be the Ayefour Corp all over again.

janoimagine

The domain was registered by some guy called Dalt Wisney.

Cover identity, perhaps? Could be the Ayefour Corp all over again.
:)

Stranger things have happened. We will wait an see ... I trust the intel, its coming from the same individual who tipped me off to Tron Track when Imagineering was seen in Warren, MI at the GM Design Center.

lazyboy97o

It's all part of the desire to remove Walt from things, make Disney a brand not a person. It's Universal Islands of Adventure, not Universal's Islands of Adventure... it's Busch Gardens, not Busch's Gardens... that's what they're going for I think.

EDIT: Oh I was wrong, it *is* Universal's Islands of Adventure. I was sure it wasn't!
I don't know when the change happened, but Islands of Adventure was originally branded as Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. This naming can still be seen on the sign for Islands of Adventure Trading Company and a floor mosaic of the park logo. I've tried to figure out when the switch was made from Universal Studios to Universal's. My best guess is it was in the desperate run away from the Universal Studios Escape branding.

Is this the same company that just developed World of Color: Celebrate which is almost entirely about Walt (with Let It Go played in its entirety because of course)?
And a lot of people say it's not a very good show.

Vegas Disney Fan

I enjoy the Muppets but they are right in the middle of prime expansion real estate, I'd be shocked if they survive in their current spot, I'd love to see the show and theme moved to the American Idol theater though.

ToTBellHop

I enjoy the Muppets but they are right in the middle of prime expansion real estate, I'd be shocked if they survive in their current spot, I'd love to see the show and theme moved to the American Idol theater though.
They could put a new muppet show anywhere theoretically. Just need a movie screen.

Phil12

I really disagree ... considering it was done in 64' ... the artwork, exterior, sets, hundreds of animatronics, its classic great timeless design ... I would love to see the Disney of today do anything that good in 9months, they wish they had any designers or imagineers (Maybe aside from Joe R, John L or Eddie Sotto ... who is gone) who are as good as Rolly or Mary. They can barely design a logo in 6 months without running it through focus groups, mom panels and social media tests, let alone an entire attraction.
Sorry, Phil, I couldn't disagree more. I'll take Small World's looks and charm over a lot of what Imagineering has done in the last several years.

ISAW was designed for Pepsi due to their large corporate sponsorship. Pepsi actually hated IASW but stayed with the project because of the charity angle (UNICEF), the World's Fair publicity and the fact they had no other alternatives. Pepsi pulled their sponsorship as soon as the World's Fair was done. When ISAW went to DL, Bank of America became the new sponsor. After all, nothing says quality like the Saran wrap on the Taj Mahal reflecting pool. IASW was considered an embarrassment but Walt wanted the money. :)

lazyboy97o

ISAW was designed for Pepsi due to their large corporate sponsorship. Pepsi actually hated IASW but stayed with the project because of the charity angle (UNICEF), the World's Fair publicity and the fact they had no other alternatives. Pepsi pulled their sponsorship as soon as the World's Fair was done. When ISAW went to DL, Bank of America became the new sponsor. After all, nothing says quality like the Saran wrap on the Taj Mahal reflecting pool. :)
You keeping up the end of sponsorship as though "it's a small world" is the only World's Fair attraction that did not retain its sponsorship when the Carousel of Progress is the only one that kept its sponsorship.

Phil12

You keeping up the end of sponsorship as though "it's a small world" is the only World's Fair attraction that did not retain its sponsorship when the Carousel of Progress is the only one that kept its sponsorship.
Most of them were one time deals, but Pepsi had another deal with Disney as you know.

Last edited:

Phil12

And for a large crowd, IASW has endured and stayed beloved for decades. We won't be able to say the same for Stitch Encounter, JIYI2, Orange Stinger or even Superstar Limo. ;)
But you could say the same for Mr. Toad at DL. IASW and Mr. Toad are both low end attractions.

janoimagine

IASW was considered an embarrassment but Walt wanted the money. :)

Lets be clear. Pepsi considered it an embarrassment, not Disney, and Walt didn't do it for the money, Pepsi was already sponsoring the Diamond HorseShoe Revue at Disneyland ... and, yours and mines personal opinions aside, it was one of the most popular attractions at the fair (second most popular for the first two years) and considered one of the Top 5 must see's during its tenure. It should also be noted that Pepsi, unlike the other sponsors, charged the most amount of any of the corporations for admission to ride it, $1.00 for adults, and .$50 for children (about $7.50 and $3.25 by todays dollar), so if anyone was in it for the money, it was Pepsi and UNICEF.

Walt loved the attraction, as did those who worked on it ... the only issue that any of imagineering had with the attraction from an aesthetic standpoint was the Tower of the 4 Winds. The company that Rolly hired to build the structure used 1' tube steel supports, instead of 4" supports like he wanted, and didn't tell them till it was completed and installed, that was part of the reason it was cut up and dumped into the ocean instead of being shipped back to Anaheim, because Rolly hated the end result.

When Walt found out that it was not coming back, he had Rolly work on designing an exterior Facade for the attraction, Rolly contacted Mary Blair, who tried a few things, but nothing that anyone really jumped at ... so Rolly sketched out a Clock Facade on a napkin and showed it to Walt ... and flushed it out from their.

janoimagine

I don't know when the change happened, but Islands of Adventure was originally branded as Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. This naming can still be seen on the sign for Islands of Adventure Trading Company and a floor mosaic of the park logo. I've tried to figure out when the switch was made from Universal Studios to Universal's. My best guess is it was in the desperate run away from the Universal Studios Escape branding.
I'm not sure either ... I worked on some of the launch creative for it before the park opened, a handful of us actually got to tour the park while it was being constructed ... Universal partnered with Dodge (I was at BBDO at the time) we did several print ad's with the Marvel Characters and the Dodge Intrepid, had a huge gatefold in USA Today with the TRex and Spiderman, and some TV tie inn's, it was all under The New Dodge banner, with the red cars on white branding look it had in the the 90's and into 2000 ... Dodge later partnered with Disney and did a spot featuring Mike and Sully for Caravan around the same time that MI opened.

Phil12

Lets be clear. Pepsi considered it an embarrassment, not Disney, and Walt didn't do it for the money, Pepsi was already sponsoring the Diamond HorseShoe Revue at Disneyland ... and, yours and mines personal opinions aside, it was one of the most popular attractions at the fair (second most popular for the first two years) and considered one of the Top 5 must see's during its tenure. It should also be noted that Pepsi, unlike the other sponsors, charged the most amount of any of the corporations for admission to ride it, $1.00 for adults, and .$50 for children (about $7.50 and $3.25 by todays dollar), so if anyone was in it for the money, it was Pepsi and UNICEF.

Walt loved the attraction, as did those who worked on it ... the only issue that any of imagineering had with the attraction from an aesthetic standpoint was the Tower of the 4 Winds. The company that Rolly hired to build the structure used 1' tube steel supports, instead of 4" supports like he wanted, and didn't tell them till it was completed and installed, that was part of the reason it was cut up and dumped into the ocean instead of being shipped back to Anaheim, because Rolly hated the end result.

When Walt found out that it was not coming back, he had Rolly work on designing an exterior Facade for the attraction, Rolly contacted Mary Blair, who tried a few things, but nothing that anyone really jumped at ... so Rolly sketched out a Clock Facade on a napkin and showed it to Walt ... and flushed it out from their.
Pepsi was the sponsor. Pepsi was the client. Pepsi paid the money to have the thing built. Pepsi considered it to be an embarrassment. And let's not forget that this was designed by WED, not Walt Disney Productions. That answers the question of who was in it for the money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom