Bob Iger: "‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next few months"

alphac2005

Tomorrowland is about looking to the future, and yes, I guess science fiction falls under that umbrella. However, Star Wars takes place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." It's called Tomorrowland, not Yesterdayland.

Maybe it's me, but Tomorrowland now becomes a whole land that is a licensed property and followed by a registered trademark logo. STARWARSLAND (R). Has a nice ring to it in the original park, eh? Ahem. My goodness, if they could make a dreaded original attraction. That would be sacrilegious to management today, though.

TP2000

For Florida, the board of directors wanted something grand for their East Coast Disneyland...which in itself is something that Walt Disney only begrudgingly agreed to build in order to obtain board permission to build his EPCOT. The Magic Kingdom began as nothing more than a means to an end for Walt to get his futuristic city. The castle at MK is not what he wanted.

From what I gather from history, anyway. History doesn't really paint a very romantic picture of the beginnings of Walt Disney World.

Yup. Although the Board only began making decisions about the Florida theme park several years after Walt died.

Here's Walt in October 1966 two months before he died, in the Florida Project Room at WDI in Glendale. That's the Magic Kingdom Park plot behind him on the wall, except with a motel complex and ice rink/rollerdome facility to the south of the park where Seven Seas Lagoon would actually be built three years later.

Walt was dead 60 days after this film was made.
WALT%252BDISNEY%252B1965.jpg

The theme park behind Walt? It's a cut and paste copy of Disneyland circa 1965. Right down to New Orleans Square and Storybookland and the Matterhorn and the small Castle in the middle. Heck, even the Flying Saucers show up in Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland. Because he hadn't thought about the park. He had moved on from theme parks, and his Florida Project was all about creating his new planned city called EPCOT. Magic Kingdom Park was just a cut-and-paste (quite literally using 1966 technology) clone of Disneyland slapped on the northern end of the map to be used as a weenie to get tourists to show up.

Here's the full 1966 EPCOT film Walt made in October, '66. It's always a fascinating look into what Walt was thinking and planning for Florida in the last weeks of his life.

You can also freeze the video at 7:18 to get a close look at the Florida theme park plans circa 1966, AKA Disneyland 1965; look for the Sailing Ship Columbia dock and Autopia freeways! :D

Californian Elitist

Iron Man, actually all the Marvel characters are based out of current New York - so that doesn't fit. Your right Star Wars takes place a "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" But here is the thing "a long time ago" from when is that message supposed to be set in now or the future itself.

I would take Star Wars in a heartbeat over having Wall-E/Buzz/Captain EO/etc.

When I say Iron Man I mean Stark Expo. Stark Expo is all about the future of technology, a much better fit than Star Wars.

That's kind of a cop out excuse, though. "The Long Time Ago" opening was meant to establish Star Wars's fairy tale nature, not to be taken overly literal.

"The Tomorrowland attractions have been designed to give you an opportunity to participate in adventures that are a living blueprint of our future." I don't see Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Chewbaca, using the force and anything else Star Wars as a window into our potential future. It's not a cop out, Star Wars doesn't fit the theme of Tomorrowland.

You're saying the "long time ago" part is there just to be there, basically?

GLaDOS

"The Tomorrowland attractions have been designed to give you an opportunity to participate in adventures that are a living blueprint of our future." I don't see Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Chewbaca, using the force and anything else Star Wars as a window into our potential future. It's not a cop out, Star Wars doesn't fit the theme of Tomorrowland.

That theme, to quote another "Star" franchise, is dead, Jim. You don't have to like it, but it's dead and gone and probably not coming back. The EPCOT version of Tomorrowland is not sustainable for Disney. And saying the Stark Expo, which focuses on COMPLETELY fictional pieces of technology is better than Star Wars is not helping your argument.

You're saying the "long time ago" part is there just to be there, basically?

It's there to set a "fairy tale" setting, yes. nothing more.

Californian Elitist

That theme, to quote another "Star" franchise, is dead, Jim. You don't have to like it, but it's dead and gone and probably not coming back. The EPCOT version of Tomorrowland is not sustainable for Disney. And saying the Stark Expo, which focuses on COMPLETELY fictional pieces of technology is better than Star Wars is not helping your argument.

It's there to set a "fairy tale" setting, yes. nothing more.

When did Disney say they were abandoning this concept?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Californian Elitist

Maybe it's me, but Tomorrowland now becomes a whole land that is a licensed property and followed by a registered trademark logo. STARWARSLAND (R). Has a nice ring to it in the original park, eh? Ahem. My goodness, if they could make a dreaded original attraction. That would be sacrilegious to management today, though.

That's exactly what you can expect from Disney, today. It's really sad and unfortunate.

PeterAlt

I'm envisioning a Star Wars makeover of Tommorowland in Cali, as Miceage has already reported. For WDW, I'm envisioning the modest makeover of DHS (as Miceage also previously reported) and a new Star Wars land as part of its makeover. I also envision a Tie Fighter themed peoplemover or monorail racing around the Death Star (SSE) to the DHS Rebel Base (Star Tours)! That would make my decade if they did that!

PeterAlt

So Iger makes an announcement that he will some time in the future make an announcement... What a pompous ...
He didn't have to say that. Honestly, I'm thankful he did! It was a nice courtesy to let the fans know that indeed chefs are in kitchen cooking dinner and that us guests won't be left starving with nothing to eat!

Goofnut1980

Can someone bring Eisner back please... he invested at WDW.. lol

I am all for Disneyland getting love but they just got a massive park redo. We got an announcement 2 years ago and still nothing. I would imagine it would take 3-4 years to build Avatar. I honestly am not excited about Avatar.

I just like seeing the parks fresh and clean. Sometimes paint and new lightbulbs go a long way! ha

Tony Perkis

Can someone bring Eisner back please... he invested at WDW.. lol

I am all for Disneyland getting love but they just got a massive park redo. We got an announcement 2 years ago and still nothing. I would imagine it would take 3-4 years to build Avatar. I honestly am not excited about Avatar.

I just like seeing the parks fresh and clean. Sometimes paint and new lightbulbs go a long way! ha

Eisner was against and tried to derail Disney's acquisition of Pixar. That would have been a catastrophically awful move for the company's future.

Prince-1

My pet peeve is that people think they know what Walt would do today if he was alive. No. You. Don't!! Just like you and me, the man would have changed as time marched on. Ideas he believed in when he was a younger man may or may not have changed. We just don't have a clue what he would say/do/act/believe/etc...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom