Bob Iger: "‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next few months"

NoChesterHester

Yea I think it will be Tokyo-centric but Miceage suggested they would be ready to announce it there and Iger's comments "in a few months" seems to lineup. Though I personally think they will announce the Star Wars stuff at a seperate event in October.

Yup. They will want American press there to maximize the coverage. Doubt it happens in Japan.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
David Koenig, who has written four books about Disney, said the company may be considering remodeling the Tomorrowland section of Disneyland with a ‘‘Star Wars’’ theme

Walt would be thrilled...:rolleyes::banghead:

Walt was all about changing things to keep things fresh and giving the guests what they want so yea he probably would have. I hope they evict toy story and nemo out of Tomorrowland who have no business being there

Captain Neo

Original Poster
I thought Walt's philosophy was that the guests don't know what they want. You had to give them what they'd like. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Disney has a way of changing history.

Well for example he overheard people saying they werent gonna go on the jungle cruise because they saw that arleady so he had the imagineers go in and add brand new show scenes. He also chased after hot properties like Peter Pan, Oz, and Mary Poppins (which the movie Mr.Banks will be about). If Star Wars was around in his day you bet your bottom dollar he would have gone after it. Even Lucas said that when most of the big studios rejected his proposal for Star Wars he believed Walt Disney would have given him a shot because he had vision and was more ambitious.

TP2000

So... When's the next time Disney can announce Star Wars details?

They could do it at D23 Expo Japan, which is in about two months at Tokyo Disneyland Resort, October 12th - 14th, 2013.

That would fit Iger's stated timeline of "a couple of months" for new attraction announcements. And it would be the perfect time to announce new Star Wars stuff for two parks; Disneyland USA and Tokyo Disneyland, both of which have Tomorrowland's that need updating desperately.

Obviously there's something coming to DHS too, but the D23 Expo Japan in October would be a good format to announce something for Tomorrowland in Tokyo and Anaheim.

luv

An announcement to say you have nothing to say.

But you're going to have something to say later.

I grow ever more weary of this 5-year-old girl, "I've got a secret! I've got a secret!" form of advertising. I guess they call it "teasing", but it makes me less interested in whatever the company is going to do, not more interested. Rather than whetting my appetite, it makes me nauseated, lol.

If they have something to say, then say it.

If not, don't talk.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
They won't announce Stateside or even Paris projects in Tokyo. They don't need to announce it at an event. They do it at the start of TWDC financial year and send out a press release. That is all.

I don't understand why the announcement correlated with the new fiscal year? I can understand construction starting with that but what bearing does that have on when they just announce a project?

AEfx

Well for example he overheard people saying they werent gonna go on the jungle cruise because they saw that arleady so he had the imagineers go in and add brand new show scenes. He also chased after hot properties like Peter Pan, Oz, and Mary Poppins (which the movie Mr.Banks will be about). If Star Wars was around in his day you bet your bottom dollar he would have gone after it. Even Lucas said that when most of the big studios rejected his proposal for Star Wars he believed Walt Disney would have given him a shot because he had vision and was more ambitious.

And I would completely agree. Walt certainly liked Space, and thinking of an enthusiastic George Lucas pitching to Walt - I could see that happening.

It's so funny how people like to use Walt conveniently support arguments that usually don't actually follow any logic as to what the man really stood for, and when it actually does sound like something he would do they bury their heads in the sand.

I'll give you another example - if Walt had lived to see WDW built, there is no way on God's green Earth (or Tatooines dual-suns) that the Disneyland Castle would stand as it does today. That puppy would not have survived the 70's - Walt would have never stood for such a stark difference in magnificence between the two. It would have never seen the Regan administration. But if you ask most "fans" - they would say doing anything to it after his death would have been akin to urinating on his grave. Sleeping Beauty Castle is adorable, it's historic - at this point, it is what it is and it probably is too late to change - but he simply wouldn't have stood for it being so overpowered by the East Coast castle. Never, ever.

I don't understand why the announcement correlated with the new fiscal year? I can understand construction starting with that but what bearing does that have on when they just announce a project?

Because they don't actually announce anything for us, ever. They announce things to make their stock have positive activity - us finding out is a by-product, not the intent.

Unlike Universal, who just starts building things and getting things done before they announce things - Disney likes to announce them years before to milk every little bit - since the final project hasn't been that exciting for a very long time, they have to use as many tricks to get the most mileage out of the minor investments they have made.

SirLink

So the real news sites pick it up - so it can be fairly well orchestrated so that Bob Iger appears on MNSBC talking about how it strengthens the brand for a modern generation of consumer etc. Or in other words so it reaches a large world audience. They need every news network to pick this up, it is easier to tie it with Business news and hope it gets to a more casual news watching public.

They will not announce a US parks expansion at Tokyo for US audiences. You may hear about HKDL plans or plans for Tokyo but non for US Parks.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
So the real news sites pick it up - so it can be fairly well orchestrated so that Bob Iger appears on MNSBC talking about how it strengthens the brand for a modern generation of consumer etc. Or in other words so it reaches a large world audience. They need every news network to pick this up, it is easier to tie it with Business news and hope it gets to a more casual news watching public.

They will not announce a US parks expansion at Tokyo for US audiences. You may hear about HKDL plans or plans for Tokyo but non for US Parks.

Well I understand that but couldn't they announce it any time of the year? Actually the usually announce things in September. They announced star tours 2 and new fantasyland at D23 in '09, avatar at its own press conference with Cameron, and I believe the DCA redo announcement was also in September.

John

An announcement to say you have nothing to say.

But you're going to have something to say later.

I grow ever more weary of this 5-year-old girl, "I've got a secret! I've got a secret!" form of advertising. I guess they call it "teasing", but it makes me less interested in whatever the company is going to do, not more interested. Rather than whetting my appetite, it makes me nauseated, lol.

If they have something to say, then say it.

If not, don't talk.

I agree.....you can only cry wolf so many times before it falls on deaf ears ( think Avatar). When I hear statements like this it does not even faze me anymore. There is no way that TWDC hasn't taken notice of what Uni has been doing. It would be so naïve to not counter with something....and the magic handcuff isn't it. Now if I was running the company I would be all in on Star Wars. I would have a huge announcement. It would be a media spectacle......take that boy wizard. But no we will get the watered down Star Wars attraction where the gift shop is bigger then the attraction.

luv

I agree.....you can only cry wolf so many times before it falls on deaf ears ( think Avatar). When I hear statements like this it does not even faze me anymore. There is no way that TWDC hasn't taken notice of what Uni has been doing. It would be so naïve to not counter with something....and the magic handcuff isn't it. Now if I was running the company I would be all in on Star Wars. I would have a huge announcement. It would be a media spectacle......take that boy wizard. But no we will get the watered down Star Wars attraction where the gift shop is bigger then the attraction.
Gift shop - check.

But don't forget the food and the meet & greets!

Oh, yeah...maybe a ride. Keep up the illusion that they're in the theme park business.

Mkcoastie

While I am desperate for something to be announced, I do not want anything announced before it's ready to go. The last thing I want is a Avatar situation where an announcement is made and years later we still have nothing to show for it.

Cosmic Commando

I'll give you another example - if Walt had lived to see WDW built, there is no way on God's green Earth (or Tatooines dual-suns) that the Disneyland Castle would stand as it does today. That puppy would not have survived the 70's - Walt would have never stood for such a stark difference in magnificence between the two. It would have never seen the Regan administration. But if you ask most "fans" - they would say doing anything to it after his death would have been akin to urinating on his grave. Sleeping Beauty Castle is adorable, it's historic - at this point, it is what it is and it probably is too late to change - but he simply wouldn't have stood for it being so overpowered by the East Coast castle. Never, ever.
You're assuming that the company still would have built a 189' tall castle if Walt had lived longer. ;)

The Disneyland castle is in scale with their MSUSA and the Matterhorn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom