Bob Iger: "‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next few months"

SirLink

Can someone bring Eisner back please... he invested at WDW.. lol

I am all for Disneyland getting love but they just got a massive park redo. We got an announcement 2 years ago and still nothing. I would imagine it would take 3-4 years to build Avatar. I honestly am not excited about Avatar.

I just like seeing the parks fresh and clean. Sometimes paint and new lightbulbs go a long way! ha

Each park in all markets should be getting new things. DL/DCA/MK/Epcot/DHS/DAK. No exceptions

PeterAlt

Considering that Iger is also on Apple's Board and that Apple just announced a media event for Sept. 10 to announce the next generation iPhone (5S?)....

I don't think Iger would make his announcement during that time frame because he will be at Apple's press event and its just good manners not to steel Apple's media focus.

Unless, Apple wants to announce a deal with Disney, such as sponsorship of a Future World pavilion. In that situation, then its totally all right for Iger to use Apple's media event to make Disney announcements...

PeterAlt

All four parks will have space/future themed lands.... Tommorowland (MK), Avatar (AK), Future World (EC), and Star Wars (HS)!

ParentsOf4

Makes me laugh how people can put 2 and 2 together and be absolutely sure it equals 5.

SW is coming to DHS. Even fast tracked it won't be for a few years.
Even fast tracked, my kids will graduate college before the doors open for SW at DHS.

I just hope I have grandkids so I can have something to look forward to at WDW in what's left of my lifetime. :banghead:

PeterAlt

You're assuming that the company still would have built a 189' tall castle if Walt had lived longer. ;)

The Disneyland castle is in scale with their MSUSA and the Matterhorn.
The Magic Kingdom is pretty much what Walt planned before he died, including the castle, Seven Seas Lagoon, monorail, Contemporary, Polynesian, the lay of the lands, etc. The only things that's different are -

1. Venetian, Persian, Mediterranean, and Asian hotels were never built.
2. Western River Expedition and a big Mesa mountain were to go in instead of Big Thunder Mountain RR, Splash Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean.
3. Peter Pan was going to be Mary Poppins.
4. Space Mountain was going to be much bigger and ambitious and have a full space port theme going on.

lazyboy97o

The Magic Kingdom is pretty much what Walt planned before he died, including the castle, Seven Seas Lagoon, monorail, Contemporary, Polynesian, the lay of the lands, etc. The only things that's different are -

2. Western River Expedition and a big Mesa mountain were to go in instead of Big Thunder Mountain RR, Splash Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean.
4. Space Mountain was going to be much bigger and ambitious and have a full space port theme going on.
None of that was planned by Walt. You can clearly see the theme park resort area, looking nothing like 1971, behind Walt in post #84 by @TP2000. The only one of those that dated to Walt is the Space Port, but that was a project intended for Disneyland.

PeterAlt

I think I've read every single biography published on the man and was simply fascinated by him as a child and playing that "What would Walt do?" game is a pretty worthless endeavor. The truth of the matter is that he would get tired of what he would do and move onto the next endeavor. Comics to shorts to feature film animation to television to live action features to Disneyland to EPCOT. Many of the publishings about Walt point to that towards the end, he had tired of the whole Disneyland process and was obsessed with EPCOT and that was his main focus with the whole Orlando project, the Magic Kingdom was just a secondary part and from what has been written, he had little interest in anything but his futuristic city that would touch every part of the Orlando property.
Thats why I get so frustrated when they neglect key concepts and principles of the original plan. Not building EPCOT as an actual living residential city of the future is one thing, but WDW as a resort was initially built with the same futuristic infrastructure the city would have had. EPCOT Center, while its not a city, is a central place where the world could get a glimpse of the future - or at least when it first opened.

WDW was built with innovative systems for its time like HAVOC vacuum tubes underground for garbage disposal and centralized air conditioning. They had fiber optics installed before anyone did. The monorail system and the world's first linear induction motor peoplemover in operation. Even the construction of the hotels were innovative. They mass assembled the rooms in a factory assembly line on property.

Walt did not want cars seen any where at WDW. the plan was to park your vehicle in a huge basement garage under EPCOT. A monorail would serventhe hotels and another would connect the resort area to EPCOT and the industrial park. Peoplemovers would transport people within EPCOT and the industrial park. The two monorail lines were built as planned. The prototype peoplemover was built as a MK attraction. Today, the peoplemover is mistaken as a ride and is not being reproduced for practical transportation purposes. The monorail is being tragically neglected, falling apart in places. Instead of getting combustable engines out of sight made irrelevant, as Walt wanted, and instead of deploying peoplemovers and expanding the monorail system, we get what Walt didn't want - more combustable engines and diesel fuel buses and more roads and wider roads and traffic.

If EPCOT is never going to get built, Roy, Card Walker, and Don Tantom had the right idea. The minimum the company could do in order to respect at least some of the ideas behind EPCOT (the city) - the futuristic cutting edge infrastructure technology which could also be used to keep the resorts and theme parks going, as well as something that could be showcased proudly at EC as truly being state of the art that people the World over come to see for inspiration back home.

That's why it kills me that at least the monorail system isn't being expanded and maintained as it should be. That's just a small part of what Walt wanted and they can't even do that!

Last edited:
Can someone bring Eisner back please... he invested at WDW.. lol

I am all for Disneyland getting love but they just got a massive park redo. We got an announcement 2 years ago and still nothing. I would imagine it would take 3-4 years to build Avatar. I honestly am not excited about Avatar.

I just like seeing the parks fresh and clean. Sometimes paint and new lightbulbs go a long way! ha
I agree with this statement completely. I have such a bad feeling that all this Star Wars talk is going to end up at Disneyland and not in Florida. I am convinced that this leadership group will not invest in Florida until they see an attendance droop. I am desperately hoping that Harry Potter 2.0 does just that. I have already planned my visit to Uni to do my part.

JimboJones123

I would like to announce that we will announce something sometime. Thank you for your attention during this announcement.

So, Comic Con, D23, and several "presser" events pass with nothing new yet in 2013.

What an eventless year.

PeterAlt

None of that was planned by Walt. You can clearly see the theme park resort area, looking nothing like 1971, behind Walt in post #84 by @TP2000. The only one of those that dated to Walt is the Space Port, but that was a project intended for Disneyland.
No, I've seen pictures of models that showed all this that were taken around 1968. The maps showed in that film were props made for the purpose of the film. The real work - the models, etc. were not shown or were created soon after. If you're interested, I'll search for those pics and post them.

Cosmic Commando

Source? I think most people agree that Walt was just focused on EPCOT. Someone has even shown that in the big Florida Project map, the Magic Kingdom is literally a copy-and-paste of the then-current Disneyland.

lazyboy97o

No, I've seen pictures of models that showed all this that were taken around 1968. The maps showed in that film were props made for the purpose of the film. The real work - the models, etc. were not shown or were created soon after. If you're interested, I'll search for those pics and post them.
If Walt had anything to do with the design of the Magic Kingdom it would constantly be shown off, as there is a clear desperation to connect Walt to Walt Disney World.

Clever Name

Eisner was against and tried to derail Disney's acquisition of Pixar. That would have been a catastrophically awful move for the company's future.
Just the opposite. Eisner was negotiating the price for Pixar. Iger ended up paying a premium for Pixar because of the antics by the dumb nephew.

lazyboy97o

Just the opposite. Eisner was negotiating the price for Pixar. Iger ended up paying a premium for Pixar because of the antics by the dumb nephew.
Eisner was negotiating a new distribution deal and those talks broke down completely with Jobs saying he was seeking other distributors. In response Disney created Circle 7 Studios to exploit their ownership of the sequel rights to Pixar's existing films.

PeterAlt

If Walt had anything to do with the design of the Magic Kingdom it would constantly be shown off, as there is a clear desperation to connect Walt to Walt Disney World.
Source? I think most people agree that Walt was just focused on EPCOT. Someone has even shown that in the big Florida Project map, the Magic Kingdom is literally a copy-and-paste of the then-current Disneyland.
http://progresscityusa.com/2012/01/04/a-model-kingdom-1968/

FrankLapidus

Not quite, the relationship was broken by the time Eisner left and there were no negotiations taking place, Steve Jobs broke off talks with Eisner in 2004. In Jobs' words, explaining why he broke off negotiations with Disney:

"When Eisner had to run things (after Frank Wells' death), he was a terrible manager. Nobody liked working for him. They felt they had no authority. He had his strategic planning group that was like a Gestapo, in that you couldn't spend any money, not even a dime, without them approving it...his ego got the better of him. Eisner was reasonable and fair to me at first, but eventually, over the course of dealing with him for a decade, I came to see a dark side to him."

Had nothing to do the with the "dumb nephew" as you so eloquently put it, it had everything to do with Eisner's over-inflated ego.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom