Bob Iger: "‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next few months"

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I would imagine that DHS would receive the SW love for the East Coast and it would be done with a theme to a Star Wars world rather than TL restyling. I actually would like to see Disney remodel TL in MK to look like the Brad Bird film's booth from this year's D23. All while adding some truly space type future rides.

disney fan 13

David Koenig, who has written four books about Disney, said the company may be considering remodeling the Tomorrowland section of Disneyland with a ‘‘Star Wars’’ theme

Walt would be thrilled...:rolleyes::banghead:

Though I'm sure he would be thrilled seeing the current Tommorowland with a tribute to a dead popstar and a ride dedicated to toys...

You're not getting "New Tommorowland"

So this is better then nothing.

alphac2005

And I would completely agree. Walt certainly liked Space, and thinking of an enthusiastic George Lucas pitching to Walt - I could see that happening.

It's so funny how people like to use Walt conveniently support arguments that usually don't actually follow any logic as to what the man really stood for, and when it actually does sound like something he would do they bury their heads in the sand.

I'll give you another example - if Walt had lived to see WDW built, there is no way on God's green Earth (or Tatooines dual-suns) that the Disneyland Castle would stand as it does today. That puppy would not have survived the 70's - Walt would have never stood for such a stark difference in magnificence between the two. It would have never seen the Regan administration. But if you ask most "fans" - they would say doing anything to it after his death would have been akin to urinating on his grave. Sleeping Beauty Castle is adorable, it's historic - at this point, it is what it is and it probably is too late to change - but he simply wouldn't have stood for it being so overpowered by the East Coast castle. Never, ever.

I think I've read every single biography published on the man and was simply fascinated by him as a child and playing that "What would Walt do?" game is a pretty worthless endeavor. The truth of the matter is that he would get tired of what he would do and move onto the next endeavor. Comics to shorts to feature film animation to television to live action features to Disneyland to EPCOT. Many of the publishings about Walt point to that towards the end, he had tired of the whole Disneyland process and was obsessed with EPCOT and that was his main focus with the whole Orlando project, the Magic Kingdom was just a secondary part and from what has been written, he had little interest in anything but his futuristic city that would touch every part of the Orlando property.

WDWFanDave

Makes me laugh how people can put 2 and 2 together and be absolutely sure it equals 5.

SW is coming to DHS. Even fast tracked it won't be for a few years.

Is there any hope that the opening (of at least something SW related) to be fast tracked so it's available for a last 'hurrah' for Iger prior to his 2016 departure? Seems like if he's so proud of the Lucasfilm acquisition and bringing SW to the park(s), that he'd want to be there for the ribbon cutting.

lebeau

Because you can't announce projects that A) Haven't been finalized and more importantly B) Approved by the Board of Directors

If you can't announce things because they haven't been approved and/or funded, then you have nothing to announce. Announcing future announcements makes you look stupid and I can't believe anyone would get excited over something so meaningless.

SirLink

Makes me laugh how people can put 2 and 2 together and be absolutely sure it equals 5.

SW is coming to DHS. Even fast tracked it won't be for a few years.

Absolutely doesn't mean to say they are going to announce both DL and WDW version at the same time tho'

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Although Iger specifically mentions Disneyland the article talks about both WDW and DL getting new Star Wars attractions

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-attraction/pyipJNRQOVZEDXSQUIF7XP/story.html

"LOS ANGELES — Walt Disney Co., known for teasing fans with clues to new attractions, used its convention in Anaheim, Calif., to hint that ‘‘Star Wars’’ would play a role in a new round of theme-park improvements.

Disney placed crates with ‘‘Star Wars’’ references in an area of the D23 Expo highlighting new attractions. One was labeled ‘‘lightsaber assortment.’’ Another sported a cutout of R2-D2, giving the appearance the robot character had escaped from the box. The three-day gathering for Disney fans ended Sunday.
The hints followed comments by chairman and CEO Robert Iger, who said on a conference call Tuesday that the Burbank, Calif.-based company plans to announce new attractions in Disneyland, the original park in Anaheim opened by the founder of Walt Disney in 1955. Disney acquired ‘‘Star Wars’’ maker Lucasfilm last year for $4.1 billion.
‘‘We’re going to continue to invest in Disneyland,’’ Iger said. ‘‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next couple of months.’’

Unfortunately there is often a large disconnect between what Disney considers "pretty exciting things" and what the fans consider "pretty exciting things".

Goofyernmost

An announcement to say you have nothing to say.

But you're going to have something to say later.

I grow ever more weary of this 5-year-old girl, "I've got a secret! I've got a secret!" form of advertising. I guess they call it "teasing", but it makes me less interested in whatever the company is going to do, not more interested. Rather than whetting my appetite, it makes me nauseated, lol.

If they have something to say, then say it.

If not, don't talk.
Goodness, that applies to a lot of areas doesn't it. Couldn't agree more!

Californian Elitist

It's so funny how people like to use Walt conveniently support arguments that usually don't actually follow any logic...

I'll give you another example - if Walt had lived to see WDW built, there is no way on God's green Earth (or Tatooines dual-suns) that the Disneyland Castle would stand as it does today. That puppy would not have survived the 70's - Walt would have never stood for such a stark difference in magnificence between the two. It would have never seen the Regan administration. But if you ask most "fans" - they would say doing anything to it after his death would have been akin to urinating on his grave. Sleeping Beauty Castle is adorable, it's historic - at this point, it is what it is and it probably is too late to change - but he simply wouldn't have stood for it being so overpowered by the East Coast castle. Never, ever.

It sounds like you knew Walt Disney personally. Please, tell us more about him, as I'm sure we don't have many people here who knew Walt on that personal level.:facepalm:

I find the second way you started your post so ironic, given the fact you just did the exact same thing in the third part of your post; brought up Walt Disney in an argument (not a fact), that makes illogical sense.

It's clear you've never been to Disneyland (if you have, you must not have been paying attention). SBC's size is in scale with the rest of the park. Disneyland is small and packed, what in the world would a giant castle look like sitting in the park? It would look ridiculous, especially when you've got the Matterhorn right by it. Speaking of the Matterhorn, it's supposed to tower over the castle, not the other way around.

Walt Disney wasn't even remotely interested in Magic Kingdom, as someone else already mentioned. He was done with theme parks after Disneyland. He wanted so badly to turn his city into the real deal, but he needed money, hence Magic Kingdom's existence.

This is seriously off topic.

Last edited:

SirLink

Yes ma'am, it does! And turning it into Star Wars Land isn't the answer!

I would argue there are only two answers for DL Tomorrowland 1)Tomorrowland : Starport(Star Wars) 2)Victorian/Steampunk which would mean getting rid of Star Wars/Toons/etc.

The only way number 2 would happen is if they go ahead with a third gate dedicated to Heros/Villains park with a dedicated presence of Star Wars there.

Magenta Panther

I would argue there are only two answers for DL Tomorrowland 1)Tomorrowland : Starport(Star Wars) 2)Victorian/Steampunk which would mean getting rid of Star Wars/Toons/etc.

The only way number 2 would happen is if they go ahead with a third gate dedicated to Heros/Villains park with a dedicated presence of Star Wars there.

I've often thought that an overall Steampunk approach to Tomorrowland might work. After all, the signage certainly suggests it:

tomorrowland.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom