Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

mikejs78

Premium Member
But am I wrong? He’s given more oversight and shows up to work with a 10 gallon can and a match he could use at any moment really...his entire career has been about reducing quality for margins.

They don’t have any leadership for the future...that’s why a vulture like him picks at the carcass
I think you are wrong. I have a lot of criticism of Chappie, but at least he's investing in the parks. Pressler started the whole 'do thinks on the cheap' mentality that has permiated P&R since the turn of the millenium. I mean, compare Galaxy's Edge to the original incarnation of DCA.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you are wrong. I have a lot of criticism of Chappie, but at least he's investing in the parks. Pressler started the whole 'do thinks on the cheap' mentality that has permiated P&R since the turn of the millenium. I mean, compare Galaxy's Edge to the original incarnation of DCA.

Galaxys edge - the name alone implies how little they understand the IP - doesn’t exist yet. I’m gonna reserve judgement like I’m from Missouri...
The idea that the land will be a slam dunk needs to be born out.

But chapek doesn’t control investment...he never did. Neither did pressler, rasulo,staggs. Newsflash: stock ticker DIS is a dictatorship and has been for 20 years...all pursestrings are at big shot bob’s Office. That’s why they really have no leadership and succession plan.

It is what it is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anyone can invest in the parks badly. GE is obviously the rose between the thorns. You can't get it wrong all the time.
No one is denying huge sums are being invested in projects. But I’d say most is misdirected, misplaced, uninspiring and rushed. But that’s just me.

Speak the gospel, Reverend.

“Ohhh...lookie...stuff!!” Never belonged in Disney parks. Anyone can do that.

Guardians of the galaxy in Epcot is “stuff”...toy story is “stuff”...

That’s what you get when you knee jerk for operational reasons after spending along time devoid of care for the artistry and theme of the places.

Sure they’re spending...it’s all over the place. Other than ratatouille and tron...none of this stuff really makes much sense.

jt04

Speak the gospel, Reverend.

“Ohhh...lookie...stuff!!” Never belonged in Disney parks. Anyone can do that.

Guardians of the galaxy in Epcot is “stuff”...toy story is “stuff”...

That’s what you get when you knee jerk for operational reasons after spending along time devoid of care for the artistry and theme of the places.

Sure they’re spending...it’s all over the place. Other than ratatouille and tron...none of this stuff really makes much sense.

In another decade or so cynics will have there big aha moment and recognize the strategy that was at play. I can't help people that just don't like big crowds. I suggest extra hours separate tickets perhaps.

jt04

Knee jerk would be a better description. The wrong thing in the wrong place to quickly solve the various problems they have.

I get this a bit and it is a concern. The canceled theater comes to mind. MSUSA was better than a stand alone in Frontierland though.

I do wish there was a strong advisory committee that had the task of the long term integrity of the parks. Eisner didn't seem worried about it and they are still scrambling to rectify those mistakes.

TDO is not doing a bad job IMO. But not sure what happens after Iger leaves.

Mouse Trap

Galaxys edge - the name alone implies how little they understand the IP - doesn’t exist yet. I’m gonna reserve judgement like I’m from Missouri...
The idea that the land will be a slam dunk needs to be born out.

But chapek doesn’t control investment...he never did. Neither did pressler, rasulo,staggs. Newsflash: stock ticker DIS is a dictatorship and has been for 20 years...all pursestrings are at big shot bob’s Office. That’s why they really have no leadership and succession plan.

It is what it is.

This is probably another conversation for another time, but to imply Bob Iger is not a fantastic CEO is wild. He might not be a die-hard Disney fan's favorite person, but he's an incredibly well respected CEO and business leader.

I know people have their opinions on what he's done with the parks, but he does what a CEO is supposed to do very well. If there was a media conglomerate CEO draft, he'd easily be every Board of Directors top choice. He does his job much better than most.

[insert overused comment/swipe about park management here]

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is probably another conversation for another time, but to imply Bob Iger is not a fantastic CEO is wild. He might not be a die-hard Disney fan's favorite person, but he's an incredibly well respected CEO and business leader..
There’s the problem. TWDC needs - demands - more than just a good business leader. It’s always had more. Even Walker had the vision TWDC needs.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

There’s the problem. TWDC needs - demands - more than just a good business leader. It’s always had more. Even Walker had vision.

Would you say he's lacking a "vision" in the direction as a media company? His mission has always been to acquire as much powerful content as possible to establish the most recognizable and loaded brand in the world to the everyday consumer. Disney now literally bullies it's way through Hollywood and the entertainment industry as a whole. They have first and last word at the table every time.

While it certainly wasn't in the original "vision" this strategy may have very well saved Disney as a media company. Disney+ will become a force to be reckoned with and the idea of acquiring as much content as possible has made Disney+ the only OTT service that will hold a candle to Netflix for the time being. Had Disney not acquired Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and now Fox, Disney+ would appeal to a much smaller demographic instead of virtually everyone.

Broadcast will soon be dead. Cable will soon be dead. And Disney seems to be the only legacy company well prepared to stand alone in an OTT world.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Would you say he's lacking a "vision" in the direction as a media company?
That’s also a problem. He’s diluted the product to the point of over saturation. The parks are now a bit part of the larger empire. Great for Wall Street, not so much for the themed park.

Broadcast is far from dead. It’s changing, yes. Content delivery has to diversify. But it’s not on the death bed. I tend to work with people who know a bit about it.

At the end of the day my interest in present day and future WDW is diminishing under Iger and Chapeks watch. That’s whats important to me. And it hurts.

Mouse Trap

That’s also a problem. He’s diluted the product to the point of over saturation. The parks are now a bit part of the larger empire. Great for Wall Street, not so much for the themed park.

Broadcast is far from dead. It’s changing, yes. Content delivery has to diversify. But it’s not on the death bed. I tend to work with people who know a bit about it.

As do I. But it's been a very long time since I've heard someone in the industry truly believe broadcast isn't facing a slow, but certain death (excluding those who have worked in broadcast their entire lives and refuse to believe the landscape is changing). I'm curious to hear if you think broadcast has any MEANINGFUL life in a 15 - 20 year horizon. From where I stand it's looked at as a time bomb. Suck the cash out of it until no more profits remain and whoever gets stuck holding the broadcast bag when the music stops is just out of luck.

I can't argue with you on "diluting the product to the point of over saturation. That's a argument we can go back and fourth on for days. My experience in the industry has always been that content is king, especially if it's quality content like Disney has.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm curious to hear if you think broadcast has any MEANINGFUL life in a 15 - 20 year horizon..
At the risk of veering off topic, I do. I work for a national TV content provider and broadcaster. My position is at the sharp end so to speak. The future game plan is a constant topic for discussion in the numerous bulletins and state of the union addresss we get. Management are very open about the need to change and future plans. Broadcast will continue via satellite, cable, VideoOIP and yes, UHF. Companies may pool resources, companies will probably merge (including mine). I’m of course speaking about the UK, where the BBC has a rather unique issue with its license fee. That’s an issue I don’t see being automatically ring fenced forever.

Not that this matters much to Guardians going into Epcot though.

Mouse Trap

At the risk of veering off topic, I do. I work for a national TV content provider and broadcaster. The future game plan is a constant topic for discussion in the numerous bulletins and state of the union addresss we get. Management are very open about the need to change and future plans. Broadcast will continue via satellite, cable, VideoOIP and yes, UHF. Companies may pool resources, companies will probably merge (including mine). I’m of course speaking about the UK, where the BBC has a rather unique issue with its license fee.

Ah. I can't speak for the UK for at all, so as much as I'd like to discuss this I don't think we can. I work in licensing for one of the largest talent agencies in the world, but stay on the domestic US side.

jt04

At the risk of veering off topic, I do. I work for a national TV content provider and broadcaster. My position is at the sharp end so to speak. The future game plan is a constant topic for discussion in the numerous bulletins and state of the union addresss we get. Management are very open about the need to change and future plans. Broadcast will continue via satellite, cable, VideoOIP and yes, UHF. Companies may pool resources, companies will probably merge (including mine). I’m of course speaking about the UK, where the BBC has a rather unique issue with its license fee. That’s an issue I don’t see being automatically ring fenced forever.

Not that this matters much to Guardians going into Epcot though.

By far the biggest challenge they have is re-branding Epcot. The other 3 parks are in decent shape at least for now.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom