Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Rodan75

There’s no imagining needed for what a cluster DHS will be from October. Even those who were in denial are now realising the error of their ways.

SWL will be great. And that’s the problem.

The thing that bothers me the most about this...is that they could literally have new/refreshed shows for Fantasmic, BaTB (or heck steal the cruise ship Aladdin or Tangled productions) and TLM completed before GE opens. It doesn't help the other issues with the Park layout and net attraction count, but by making them fresh before GE opens you could at least help folks feel like they are getting a good deal by going to DHS whether or not you even get into GE.

Tom P.

I know that was the original plan. AFAIK they’re not in a position at this time to offer a definitive date.
I find it interesting that they were able to offer a rather firm opening date for the Disneyland version so far in advance, but still are not in a position to say when the Hollywood Studios version will open.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I find it interesting that they were able to offer a rather firm opening date for the Disneyland version so far in advance, but still are not in a position to say when the Hollywood Studios version will open.

Well, that's because it's Florida and the humidity there. And thunderstorms. And hurricanes. And skilled labor shortages. And alligators. And the gondolas of death. And winter bird migration. And runDisney events. And MLB training camps. ;)

mikejs78

Premium Member
Do I have to spell it out? Park capacity is woeful. Space is inadequate. Elbow room is none existent.

And management will declare the crowds a success.

Prediction: when the constant insane crowds, daily phased closings, and low guest satisfaction with the park as a whole take shape, we will see a flurry of new attractions greenlit to handle said crowds. But anything greenlit in early 2020 won't be ready until 2022/23 given Disney's construction timelines.

The thing that bothers me the most about this...is that they could literally have new/refreshed shows for Fantasmic, BaTB (or heck steal the cruise ship Aladdin or Tangled productions) and TLM completed before GE opens. It doesn't help the other issues with the Park layout and net attraction count, but by making them fresh before GE opens you could at least help folks feel like they are getting a good deal by going to DHS whether or not you even get into GE.

Don't forget replacing the Star Wars clip show and the launch bay...

UpAllNight

They’ll rush a day show into the fantasmic stage

What happens when they inevitably have to take Tower or Rock n Rollercoaster out of service for maintanence though? It’s not going to be pretty at all....it already isnt

Stripes

Premium Member
That’s also a problem. He’s diluted the product to the point of over saturation. The parks are now a bit part of the larger empire. Great for Wall Street, not so much for the themed park.

Broadcast is far from dead. It’s changing, yes. Content delivery has to diversify. But it’s not on the death bed. I tend to work with people who know a bit about it.

At the end of the day my interest in present day and future WDW is diminishing under Iger and Chapeks watch. That’s whats important to me. And it hurts.
While I agree with the larger sentiment, it's worth pointing out that, if not for the Fox acquisition, P&R would become the largest segment in the business by revenue if the current growth trend continues . Other than media networks (which is currently a bit higher), nothing else comes close.

I understand your point was more philosophical. Just thought I'd point that out.

Last edited:

sedati

Pressler remains the visionary who is being followed. Attractions are being built out of desperation because they ran out of ideas for continuing to strain capacity and they ruin the fabric of theme.
I think World Showcase’s ratio of attractions vs shops/dining would have made Pressler blush.

Last edited:

doctornick

Don't forget replacing the Star Wars clip show and the launch bay...

They are gonna need Launch Bay once SW:GE opens and, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they put new/additional "stuff" there to entertain the crowds that come.

But putting a new offering in the old Sounds Dangerous theater is one of those beyond obvious ideas. Do people even go to the silly clip show? It has to be an underutilized space in the park that could be easily repurposed.

Tavernacle12

What’re the chances HS getting utterly slammed actually fast tracks added capacity to the park? Like, after a certain point, either through guest satisfaction or closing due to crowds they’re going to be losing potential money they wouldn’t have lost if they’d had been better prepared.

troo26

No one is denying huge sums are being invested in projects. But I’d say most is misdirected, misplaced, uninspiring and rushed. But that’s just me.

I feel like this is super apparent with Guardians, for me at least. Between DHS already getting Star Wars, Mickey & TSL, RnRC being shut down as well probably a no-no, Epcot being in dire need of an E, Ellen needing to close, Marvel needing a presence in Orlando - all these things just needed to happen & so Guardians was plopped in Epcot. It’s placement is inappropriate, both thematically & physically (that giant blue box :mad:). You can tell it was only put there to get Guardians in a park ASAP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is probably another conversation for another time, but to imply Bob Iger is not a fantastic CEO is wild. He might not be a die-hard Disney fan's favorite person, but he's an incredibly well respected CEO and business leader.

I know people have their opinions on what he's done with the parks, but he does what a CEO is supposed to do very well. If there was a media conglomerate CEO draft, he'd easily be every Board of Directors top choice. He does his job much better than most.

[insert overused comment/swipe about park management here]
Would you say he's lacking a "vision" in the direction as a media company? His mission has always been to acquire as much powerful content as possible to establish the most recognizable and loaded brand in the world to the everyday consumer. Disney now literally bullies it's way through Hollywood and the entertainment industry as a whole. They have first and last word at the table every time.

While it certainly wasn't in the original "vision" this strategy may have very well saved Disney as a media company. Disney+ will become a force to be reckoned with and the idea of acquiring as much content as possible has made Disney+ the only OTT service that will hold a candle to Netflix for the time being. Had Disney not acquired Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and now Fox, Disney+ would appeal to a much smaller demographic instead of virtually everyone.

Broadcast will soon be dead. Cable will soon be dead. And Disney seems to be the only legacy company well prepared to stand alone in an OTT world.

I would say iger has been “solid” on the whole for what his Wall Street overlords want. I’ve never implied “terrible”...but adamantly disagree with “fantastic” as well.

To that end...he has successes to compliment what I believe to be longterm failures. Marvel has been great success...riding espn into the ground and chasing China are not...

Acquiring lucasfilm was a success...not placing people in charge that have any clue why their content was earth shatteringly popular and demonstrating that with bad stewardship is a bust so far.

Mixed bag...overall “solid”...maybe even “good”. Not “fantastic”.

But he has been their too long...it’s time. Nobody in charge of a money machine can stay fresh 15 years in and see the forest for the trees. That’s a philosophical take that the house won’t take bets on. Proven.

One of Roy E’s main indictments of iger’s predecessor and what really pushed the coup was lack of succession plan. It is much worse now than it was in 2003. That is a keg of dynamite to sit on. If Disney plays management roulette...they’re in trouble.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like this is super apparent with Guardians, for me at least. Between DHS already getting Star Wars, Mickey & TSL, RnRC being shut down as well probably a no-no, Epcot being in dire need of an E, Ellen needing to close, Marvel needing a presence in Orlando - all these things just needed to happen & so Guardians was plopped in Epcot. It’s placement is inappropriate, both thematically & physically (that giant blue box :mad:). You can tell it was only put there to get Guardians in a park ASAP.

Guardians is a tremendous kick to the teeth when you stand in front of it.

I’m not gonna wax about 1989 Epcot nostalgia....
...but it’s a smack with a wet fish to see the theming so tossed out of the airlock. It’s like Norway frozen on speed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There will be a very very very very VERY expensive one of the following:

1) Tickets to experience Star Wars early, ala Pixar Pier.
2) Tickets to get into DHS early to experience Star Wars.
3). Tickets to stay at DHS late to experience Star Wars.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing at least two of those three options. I'd imagine Options 1 to cause AT LEAST $400 a head if it happens.

Pay it and you are contributing to jumping the shark on waterskis...

Not for one moment in time in 2019/2020...but for all those later trips that you assume will be fantastic but they’re gutting the experience for now....

Control yourselves, children.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Imagine if they hadn't built Pandora. Or Ratatouille. Or Star Wars at Disneyland. Or closed Star Tours. Or Launch Bay.

Not that they can't do a whole lot more. Posters on wdwmagic have offered numerous ideas.

If Uni survived potter wdw should survive star wars.

And yet...mgm is still headed for a meltdown. Both because of how they’re gonna try to “score big” on one development and the subject material of that one development in the bigger context.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom