Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

PB Watermelon

The problem with Future World is that - as a showcase for developing technology - developing tech develops, and is doing so at such a rate, we can't even keep cell phones, computers, home theaters, vehicles, you name it up to date or even working in some cases for five years. I have apps on my iPad that no longer load because they've been updated and won't work with the current OS. I can't download movies from certain vendors, for example, because they no longer support the iPad's OS. By the time it takes for Disney to build or overhaul attractions and exhibits, to update Future World, the tech demos would already be 50 years old in Technology Dog Years.

lazyboy97o

The problem with Future World is that - as a showcase for developing technology - developing tech develops, and is doing so at such a rate, we can't even keep cell phones, computers, home theaters, vehicles, you name it up to date or even working in some cases for five years. I have apps on my iPad that no longer load because they've been updated and won't work with the current OS. I can't download movies from certain vendors, for example, because they no longer support the iPad's OS. By the time it takes for Disney to build or overhaul attractions and exhibits, to update Future World, the tech demos would already be 50 years old in Technology Dog Years.
Future World should aim to be more than Best Buy.

PB Watermelon

Future World should aim to be more than Best Buy.

Part of its original intent was showcasing emerging technologies as a demonstration of American ingenuity, how technology can be used to improve the world. People call it boring, but Communicore East and West and the various pavilions were intended to do exactly that (the Imagination Pavilion notwithstanding). So unless they can sort out how to do this without their exhibits and attractions going out of date within 60 months, that's the inherent problem. I hear people saying they should theme this pavilion to this IP, or another pavilion to that. If I want to go to Universal or Six Flags, I'll do that. Epcot is/was special for me -- an optimistic park both in terms of possibilities for technology improving the human condition, and then people celebrating each other's cultures and what makes us special and what we all share. IT was/is inspiring, optimistic.

Guardians of the Galaxy in Future World? Really?

The Empress Lilly

I read that quite a lot. But how much consumer tech and product was ever on display in EPCOT? Really only the WoM post show. Which, ironically, is precisely one of the few areas of FW still by and large functioning as on opening day.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I read that quite a lot. But how much consumer tech and product was ever on display in EPCOT? Really only the WoM post show. Which, ironically, is precisely one of the few areas of FW still by and large functioning as on opening day.
Futurecom had some too, but it was really systems rather than products that made up the bulk of the displays of Ccore.

Brer Oswald

I would like to see some sort of star wars attraction in future world... especially for those that don't have a hopper pass to get over to Disney Hollywood Star Wars studios..
let-me-stop-you-right-there.jpg

sedati

I would pay to see this interaction between you and him.
Marni, "This park needs OMNIMOVERS!"
Chapek, "This park need COASTERS!"
"OMNIMOVERS!"
"COASTERS!"
"Arrghh!!!" POW! BAM! OOOMPH!
"Hey, you got your coaster on my omnimover!"
"Well you got your omnimover all over my coaster!"
"Hmm... terrific! Two great ride systems that go great together!"
Maybe such a conversation has already happened seeing as we're getting an omni-coaster hybrid.;)(Kudos to anyone old enough to get the reference.)

ppete1975

Theres an easy fix to that. Get sponsorship for the rides from apple, elon musk, samsung and besides corporate lounges give them the post show with the rules that they have to keep new or upcoming tech on display, you cant sell your product, it must teach how it works and you would have paid spokespeople there to explain it (captive audience but we dont want to make it a store as this is for learning and would be a great place for announcements of upcoming projects and products). Companies such as dole can still sponsor but your post show would be given to someone like neil degrasse tyson who would teach about space or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom