Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They turned out very well. But I personally think the city would have been an ultimate failure.
The planned urban center concept is essentially unsustainable. Can you imagine the volumes of covenants and restrictions that living in E.P.C.O.T. would have entailed?

rocketraccoon

Then why did Epcot have a higher attendance in the 80s than now? The reason for the fall in attendance IMHO is the dismantling of the classic attractions, cheap overlays, lack of ride reburbishments, loss of a cohesive theme, and not added a new pavilion for over 25 years.
From what I understand, attendance last year wasn't that far off from when it peaked in 1987 1988. The attractions did play a large part, but for the 80s at least the park was new and tickets were half the cost w/ inflation as well. Also consider that it peaked again in 1997, despite World of Motion closing, UoE being downgraded to Ellen's, and no major changes to the other major attractions in over 8 years or more. Attendance is trending upwards again, and at least for the few years after the new attractions open, it'll continue.

Also, Disney is probably making way more money off Epcot now with higher ticket/food/merch prices and the festivals eating up cash.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From what I understand, attendance last year wasn't that far off from when it peaked in 1987. The attractions did play a large part, but for the 80s at least the park was new and tickets were half the cost w/ inflation as well. Also consider that it peaked again in 1997, despite World of Motion closing, UoE being downgraded to Ellen's, and no major changes to the other major attractions in over 8 years or more. Attendance is trending upwards again, and at least for the few years after the new attractions open, it'll continue.

Also, Disney is probably making way more money off Epcot now with higher ticket/food/merch prices and the festivals eating up cash.
1988 was the highest attended year.

CinematicFusion

There's room to do both, IMO. Keep the mission of Epcot as one of inspiration, but use IPs as the vehicle to provide that inspiration. Make the Nemo ride about using those characters to teach about Marine life. Keep the Land pavillion relatively intact. Make Imagination 4.0 a modern take on the original (Disney could then turn Figment into a more universal IP and symbol of the park - maybe make a Figment series on Disney+. Synergy!).

Turn Innoventions into the Sanfransokyo Expo with Hiro and BayMax. Make the Guardians coaster about travelling the universe to discover different forms of energy. Reimagine WoL with new attractions featuring Joy and Sadness. Update Test Track to have the ride affected by the design - maybe have it hosted by the Cars characters... In World Showcase, for the new films have Mulan host a film about Chinese history and culture; Miguel a boat ride about Mexican culture, etc... This shouldn't be that hard.

And keep Spaceship Earth essentially the same, but updated. Do not ruin that attraction.

Imagination can be a blend of dreamfinder, figment and the world and cast of inside out. Dreamfinder could be at the controls of your imagination. Everyone wins and Dreamfinder fits perfectly in that concept.
Re-imagine the living seas with inspiration from Monterey Bay Aquarium.
02EC935E-60A4-41EF-B7A6-DC7587CBC9BE.jpeg
840E949B-2C72-45BA-B3F6-28126625FE01.jpeg
59B9943A-9FD9-46AC-A686-D2F38B97CC2C.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Maybe it's time to accept that some don't view the parks the way you and I and others do? Enough of the shaming tendencies some of you have.
I’ll go out on a limb and guess that most using the phrase “MK 2.0” would not agree with the idea that the Magic Kingdom was built as a park intended to just promote an assortment of movie franchises.

Kman101

Kman101

I’ll go out on a limb and guess that most using the phrase “MK 2.0” would not agree with the idea that the Magic Kingdom was built as a park intended to just promote an assortment of movie franchises.

No, it wasn't. But the need to shame isn't necessary. The fact is, many just don't see it the way I or you would like them to see it. Shaming them or lecturing them on theme isn't going to do anything.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Nope. You're wrong. But that's OK :)

When some aren't getting it, or don't care to, why keep berating and hammering and shaming? That's bullying.

We need to stop being dismissive of those who don't see things the same way.
Best be prepared for more of that laat word.

lazyboy97o

No, it wasn't. But the need to shame isn't necessary. The fact is, many just don't see it the way I or you would like them to see it. Shaming them or lecturing them on theme isn't going to do anything.
Who is being shamed? The phrase “MK 2.0” isn’t being used by people with a different view of the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT Center.

Kman101

No I haven't given up. I just pick my battles and I don't always feel the need to express outrage when others do it for me :)

I also try and be optimistic; I just cannot hate everything to hate everything, that's not healthy. Yes even when they've let me down. I know ... I know ... silly me ;)

Just because I think they *could* do a blend of IPcot and Epcot doesn't necessarily mean it's what I prefer. I just try and find a best case scenario. Sad, I know, but it is what it is at this point. I guess in a way I have given up, I do feel deflated by Saturday, but I'm not an apologist. Or duster. You should know better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

CinematicFusion

Some see it as a way to re-live, explore those worlds we love. Star Wars land, Harry Potter, world of Pandora, Ratatouille ride. Yes... without question those worlds/rides are hyping a brand to sell tons of merchandise but at the same time giving the audience an incredible experience. I can’t wait for Star Wars to open and I loved Harry Potter land and the detail to create the experience.
From my side of the table, I’m all for what Disney has been doing since 2014 but I get others see in different and are very passionate about their vision of the parks.
Again... I have no control over what happens. Disney is going to do what Disney is going to do.

Kman101

Please don't. You make a very valuable contribution to these boards. Even when we disagree. :D

Oh, I won't. I was just being a bit dramatic ;) LOL. I just hate seeing us (in general, not you and me, lol) all constantly go back and forth on things that often seem like if we just listened, we could find common ground.

Again, I think we all see the passion we have come out in our posts about Disney. Good or bad, we're all here fighting about it, LOL

rocketraccoon

It's possible, and probably appears that way, yet Walt Disney always seemed to succeed against all odds. I guess we'll never really know, but it's interesting to think about.
If he went forward with it and realized how the original concept probably wouldn't be viable, I'm sure he would've still managed something great. Something more ambitious in terms of technology/transport than Celebration but more scaled back than EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom