Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

jt04

This relates to what I’ve said about Epcot since Eisner: the Internet broke it.

Edutainment was in trouble the minute www rendered tolerating boredom and lack of access to all knowledge no longer acceptable. There’s no mystery.

Edutainment still has a place in small doses.

lazyboy97o

Many will love Disney's new direction, some won't. But the ship is sailing at full speed and the future of the parks is clear.
After all, theme parks are a business and it's about making money and making an enjoyable experience for the majority of guest. If one of those concepts fail....the park closes. Guest aren't happy, they won't show up.
This is such trite nonsense. There is no singular way to run a business, much less one that views your business as stupid. The profit and success of themed entertainment is what kept Disney afloat in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Nothing about treating themed entertainment as its own medium makes it unprofitable.

CinematicFusion

This is such trite nonsense. There is no singular way to run a business, much less one that views your business as stupid. The profit and success of themed entertainment is what kept Disney afloat in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Nothing about treating themed entertainment as its own medium makes it unprofitable.

I made a simple statement that is true and I didn't expand on it....and I hurt your feelings. I'm sorry.
I'll stand by what I said. Trite nonsense as it may be.

CinematicFusion

You didn't make a simple statement. You very clearly implied that others are somehow unaware that them parks are a business and that the current direction is the only direction.
What? Man I'm just typing with a cup of coffee... Honest.

To make you feel better, there are exactly 12 million possible combinations Disney could take in regards to the theme parks.

My point is based on what they are doing up to this point starting in 2012 with New Fantasyland. Disney's path seems pretty clear.
I could be wrong...but look at the blueprint Disney has been throwing down with the theme parks since 2012.
Show me what I'm missing.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wait...who are you? What did you post? I'm talking to Lazyboy because he said my opinions are trite nonsense.
Which they may be.... but I stand by them.

You quoted me but then changed the quoted comment.

There's a way to incorporate movie IP tastefully. But since Chapek and Iger have no taste, they use the square-peg-round-hole, use-a-jackhammer approach. Their ego's won't allow for anything else.

CinematicFusion

You quoted me but then changed the quoted comment.

There's a way to incorporate movie IP tastefully. But since Chapek and Iger have no taste, they use the square-peg-round-hole, use-a-jackhammer approach. Their ego's won't allow for anything else.

It's cool, you and AJH219 have a vision of the park you want to see. AJH219 sent a message to me that sent the joy out of this conversation. Maybe you side with his opinons...I'm not sure.
Personally, I just want to have a good time with my kids while I still can. Hope it all works well for you and the vision of the park you want to see. I'm out.

Magenta Panther

Walt’s city was a crackpot idea and would have failed.

People absolutely hate each other now and don’t want “innovative co-existence”...and we’re supposed to be more “evolved”. It’s been 50 years

The true EPCOT would never have happened without Walt, and because he died, it didn't. If he had lived and had initially pulled it off, the question would THEN have been: how long would it have survived?

Sadly, I'm guessing: not long. The 60's took a very radical, less-than-sunny turn that would not have been tolerant of Walt's hopeful philosophy. But of course that's all conjecture. The fact is, we'll never know.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The true EPCOT would never have happened without Walt, and because he died, it didn't. If he had lived and had initially pulled it off, the question would THEN have been: how long would it have survived?

Sadly, I'm guessing: not long. The 60's took a very radical, less-than-sunny turn that would not have been tolerant of Walt's hopeful philosophy. But of course that's all conjecture. The fact is, we'll never know.
Odd coming from me perhaps, but thank god E.P.C.O.T. never happened.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
11017874_10206063981341800_4189093259267558780_n.jpg

Magenta Panther

If you're referring to the idea that EPCOT, if fully executed, might have bankrupted the Disney company, then, sadly, I agree...

It was a noble idea. Walt wanted (as you know) to use the lessons learned from Disneyland to help solve real-world problems like urban blight. But noble ideas often go astray in the turbulence that is reality...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you're referring to the idea that EPCOT, if fully executed, might have bankrupted the Disney company, then, sadly, I agree...

It was a noble idea. Walt wanted (as you know) to use the lessons learned from Disneyland to help solve real-world problems like urban blight. But noble ideas often go astray in the turbulence that is reality...
The city that would have been outdated and unsustainable with a decade. Not even slapping IP everywhere could have saved it.

As we know, a lot of ideas from the city were used in WDWs in the first 15 years. But as a development I think it would have been a blight. A folly. And ultimately a failure.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It is possible the city would have been outdated within a decade, however many of us live in cities which in many ways have been outdated for several decades and still exist.

I think another thread for this would be prudent....I'll make one in the general discussion forum :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom