Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

doctornick

I love Omni movers, but I agree that the park lack the variety it needed. Adding more thrilling attractions is fine, but replacing classic rides with more thrilling, shorter versions, just made Epcot lose it “soul”.

I was just thinking the other day about how cool it would be if WoM existed and if TT (especially 2.0) was built in addition -- you'd still have a witty, inspirational, education ride for all ages -- and it would co-exist harmoniously with a thrill ride which lets you design a vehicle and kinda look at the future of transport.

That's really the model Epcot should have. Honor and respect the history of the park, but find new way to involve those who were bored/disinterested in the original concept. There's room for multiple ways to express the message of the park in a harmonious way as opposed to mismosh.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Emotions do not equal imagination. People need to stop equating "Inside Out" with imagination.

For the record, when I rail against millennials, it's because I work with many millennials (I work in IT, to give some context) who don't have the slightest clue how the real world works from a practical standpoint. One example:

"This tool says we must remove RC4 cipher and TLS 1.0 and 1.1, so they have to go"
"That will break most of our internal applications and cause massive outages"
"That doesn't matter, the tool said it's a security risk so they have to be removed"

:banghead:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Emotions do not equal imagination. People need to stop equating "Inside Out" with imagination.

For the record, when I rail against millennials, it's because I work with many millennials (I work in IT, to give some context) who don't have the slightest clue how the real world works from a practical standpoint. One example:

"This tool says we must remove RC4 cipher and TLS 1.0 and 1.1, so they have to go"
"That doesn't matter, the tool said it's a security risk so they have to be removed"

Well, to be fair TLS < 1.2 is basically worthless at this point. Still, not assessing impact is a major problem. But I've seen similar attitudes coming from my own IT org from people who aren't millenials.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well, to be fair TLS < 1.2 is basically worthless at this point. Still, not assessing impact is a major problem. But I've seen similar attitudes coming from my own IT org from people who aren't millenials.

Yep, I've had similar attitudes from some in management. But then again, the adage there is, "People rise to the level of their incompetence". ;)

trainplane3

Agreed. Just because you can force them together doesn't mean it's the right thing.

I am a millennial and I go off on other millennials that act without thinking. It happens more often then it ever should. We're not all bad. At my last job I had high marks from the CEO/CFO/various directors (it was a small company of 800 employees FYI, but it was still a big positive for me) because of how well I handled various major voice issues and quite literally gave the IT department a good name. They were known as "terrible" and "yelling at their users" beforehand. They hated to lose me but not enough to pay me what I deserved. The department is back square one again.

Stop reminding me about a TLS issue I'm working with right now. "You have to disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1", sure I can do that but it'll completely break integration with another app (they all support TLS 1.2 but it'll grab the first version it finds and ignore the others). Aka the other team needs to disable them first then I can disable them. Ugh. :banghead:

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yep, I've had similar attitudes from some in management. But then again, the adage there is, "People rise to the level of their incompetence". ;)
Stop reminding me about a TLS issue I'm working with right now. "You have to disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1", sure I can do that but it'll completely break integration with another app (they all support TLS 1.2 but it'll grab the first version it finds and ignore the others). Aka the other team needs to disable them first then I can disable them. Ugh. :banghead:

The big problem with IT (and many aspects of tech, Software Engineering, etc) is that decisions are often made (whether they may be new product features, security patches, etc) without considering the users.

Now, before we get too off-topic (and risk the Ire of @The Mom ;)), this relates to other aspects of business beyond IP, and I think explains a lot of what they have done with Epcot. In spite of what some have argued, I don't think that the IP infusion is because "that's what people want". I think in reality they see it as a quick fix, and a way to obtain synergy cross-promiting with other parts of Disney (e.g. consumer products), so they take the easy way out.

PorterRedkey

It could shine all it wants, but, if we're talking whether the shine brings in guests, we should consider the competition, and what guests might prefer over what Epcot offered, no?

I could offer the shiniest apples in the world, but if everyone preferred oranges, I'd have no sales.
Like I said, add the thrill ride (blessing of size) just don’t rip the heart out of the park in the process. I’m sure a Mt Fuji coaster would have pulled in some thrill seekers while pleasing dark ride fans like myself as well. This could have added to the theme unlike adding a comic book coaster.

Edited for the love of grammar.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The big problem with IT (and many aspects of tech, Software Engineering, etc) is that decisions are often made (whether they may be new product features, security patches, etc) without considering the users.

Now, before we get too off-topic (and risk the Ire of @The Mom ;)), this relates to other aspects of business beyond IP, and I think explains a lot of what they have done with Epcot. In spite of what some have argued, I don't think that the IP infusion is because "that's what people want". I think in reality they see it as a quick fix, and a way to obtain synergy cross-promiting with other parts of Disney (e.g. consumer products), so they take the easy way out.

Exactly. There's a way to incorporate movie IP into attractions - Give us something new, not the highlights or a book report of the movie (and yes, I know Walt did this, and the non-movie rides they did far outstrip rides like Alice and Mr Toad). And don't gut what is currently there to do it, add and expand, don't rip-and-replace. You have the space... well, at least they had the space at one time... Sometimes being forced to be creative with land is better than being able to spread things out.

WDWDad2907

This is pretty strong statement to make, considering their have been numerous studies in recent years on the relationship between the two. Not sure what that has to do with millennials. Also not sure anyone (including myself) are indicating they equate to one another, merely that their is a correlation. While there may be others who feel this way, I certainly dont feel that because there is a correlation in themes that means "dark ride retelling of the movie is the perfect solution". Like your later post suggests, I strongly feel that is a lazy approach to attraction development. My original point was that their is a link (both scientifically and philosophically) between imagination and emotions and there would be a way to tell an original story using the movie/characters as a mechanism to do that IMHO wouldn't be at all forced if done properly.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
This is pretty strong statement to make, considering their have been numerous studies in recent years on the relationship between the two. Not sure what that has to do with millennials. Also not sure anyone (including myself) are indicating they equate to one another, merely that their is a correlation. While there may be others who feel this way, I certainly dont feel that because there is a correlation in themes that means "dark ride retelling of the movie is the perfect solution". Like your later post suggests, I strongly feel that is a lazy approach to attraction development. My original point was that their is a link (both scientifically and philosophically) between imagination and emotions and there would be a way to tell an original story using the movie/characters as a mechanism to do that IMHO wouldn't be at all forced if done properly.
It's sad that they felt they needed to "perform studies" to prove that there is a correlation between imagination and emotions. What a waste of time, money and resources.

Either way, it doesn't mean that Inside Out belongs in Epcot.

CinematicFusion

It's sad that they felt they needed to "perform studies" to prove that there is a correlation between imagination and emotions. What a waste of time, money and resources.

Either way, it doesn't mean that Inside Out belongs in Epcot.
As for Inside out, put it in/ don’t put it in... I don’t care.
If they put Inside Out into the Imagination Pavilion then cool.... just make it an amazing ride!
Doesn’t bother me... the real Imagination ride died 20 years ago.

Dreamfinder hasn’t been around in 20 years. My kids have no clue who he is.
So if you bring him back great.... it just better be an amazing experience.

The imagination ride as it is today should be closed down. Horrible, embarrassing ride. (My opinion only)

Haymarket2008

I don't really know what they would "say" in an Inside Out ride in the Imagination pavilion. The whole point of the Imagination ride (the original and any coherent future versions, more specifically) is to detail the creative process and how using your imagination can lead to amazing and important thoughts or ideas. The kind of substantive experience an Epcot attraction requires.

jt04

I don't really know what they would "say" in an Inside Out ride in the Imagination pavilion. The whole point of the Imagination ride (the original and any coherent future versions, more specifically) is to detail the creative process and how using your imagination can lead to amazing and important thoughts or ideas. The kind of substantive experience an Epcot attraction requires.

That ship has sailed. And budgets will get approved once people come to terms with that.

And it could be many IPs. Muppets, Inside Out, Figment, Ralph, BH6 etc. As long as it is imaginatively done they have succeeded. IMO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

From an Imagineering contest...

Replacing the Figment ride in the Imagination Pavilion, the semi-omnimover lets you see through the eyes of a sleepy Riley as your art teacher tries to get you to stop drawing so practically and to use your imagination, at which point, you doze off and the one and only Figment of imagination pops in on Riley's brain interacting with the Emotions leading to all sorts of shenanigans... and the revival of a forgotten memory of Bing Bong, at which point Riley wakes up to find she drew a picture of Bing Bong to the glowing approval of the art teacher... who, with a wink, is revealed to be Dreamfinder.​

Haymarket2008

From an Imagineering contest...

Replacing the Figment ride in the Imagination Pavilion, the semi-omnimover lets you see through the eyes of a sleepy Riley as your art teacher tries to get you to stop drawing so practically and to use your imagination, at which point, you doze off and the one and only Figment of imagination pops in on Riley's brain interacting with the Emotions leading to all sorts of shenanigans... and the revival of a forgotten memory of Bing Bong, at which point Riley wakes up to find she drew a picture of Bing Bong to the glowing approval of the art teacher... who, with a wink, is revealed to be Dreamfinder.​

I couldn’t hate that more. Lol.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
In broad terms:

Wonders of Life Pavilion = Biology
Imagination Pavilion = Psychology
Emotions =/= Biology
Emotions = Psychology

Thus, if Inside Out is added, it fits in the Imagination Pavilion but not in Wonders of Life.

But there is one more part of this equation that everyone seems to forget.

Wonders of Life =/= Existing anymore
Cranium Command = Broken and Abandoned

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom