Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

eliza61nyc

Oh the irony

Yet you continue to defend the decisions being made for the park itself and you expect us to take you seriously? The titles of the two sections of Epcot (World Showcase and Future World) basically explain the theme of the park. Did you miss that? Have you ever taken time to explore WS and sample the variety of food and drink, watch the amazing street performers and speak to the CM's from all around the world? Have you ever taken the young ones in your family to all the KidCot stations in the pavilions to color and collect the stamps and have all the different languages written on the Duffy Bear cut out? Or were you too busy riding Soarin and Test Track over and over?

So I have no expectations whatsoever. Could care less if you take me seriously or not. I'm simply contributing to the overall discussion. I have been through world showcase on every trip. My young ones hated Duffy with a passion and yes they prefer to ride soarin and test track and mission space. My late husband was portugese and my kids spent their summers in Europe so they have been to the real live versions of most of those worlds. they haven't been to the middle east. my oldest is actually going to Egypt in August so that will take care of Africa.

I really don't "defend" the decisions because I've got a gripe on reality, this is a theme park, not my son's med school application I also happen to like what they are doing to Epcot. It's not that deep, if I don't like the parks anymore, I go some place else for vacation. As always I absolutely admit that I did not go during this "glorious" age of Epcot so I don't have that to compare it to.

And no I did not know the name of the park and the theme were mutually exclusive.

So I guess I am slow at some things. You whine about how bad it is and yet still go.

Last edited:

Bender123

An excellent and difficult question...

I Believe there was a soft period around 1999 where test track opened (burning rubber - literally), horizons wasn’t yet demoed, and the dreamfinder hadn’t yet been guillotined in the town square so half his ride could be demolished to build queue for the new half ride...

That’s the closest to “full utilization” we have seen since world of motion closed...which was either 93 or 94. It’s been kinda uphill since. Innoventions is always near empty, several pavilions are/were long neglected...and they closed wonders of life to not pay CPs to staff it.

Wasn't JII closed during 1999 until October when JIYI opened? I thought that too, but that train wreck of an attraction brings it down to when everything closed in 1999. I cant recall JIYI being open at the same time as Horizons and Wonders.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wasn't JII closed during 1999 until October when JIYI opened? I thought that too, but that train wreck of an attraction brings it down to when everything closed in 1999. I cant recall JIYI being open at the same time as Horizons and Wonders.

It might have been 98...and I’m talking a very limited window. Could have been when test track was in one of its “test/soft opening phases”...I may have even rode it during a cast preview.

I don’t know...I used to libate in the showcase a lot then. That’s my memory of it being “most complete”...I’m not googling dates.

I want to say imagination didn’t open until at least 2000?

twebber55

So I have no expectations whatsoever. Could care less if you take me seriously or not. I'm simply contributing to the overall discussion. I have been through world showcase on every trip. My young ones hated Duffy with a passion and yes they prefer to ride soarin and test track and mission space. My late husband was portugese and my kids spent their summers in Europe so they have been to the real live versions of most of those worlds. they haven't been to the middle east. my oldest is actually going to Egypt in August so that will take care of Africa.

I really don't "defend" the decisions because I've got a gripe on reality, this is a theme park, not my son's med school application I also happen to like what they are doing to Epcot. It's not that deep, if I don't like the parks anymore, I go some place else for vacation. As always I absolutely admit that I did not go during this "glorious" age of Epcot so I don't have that to compare it to.

And no I did not know the name of the park and the theme were mutually exclusive.
man do i agree with pretty much everything you just said
people probably shouldnt take me too serious on these boards anyway after all it is theme parks we re talking about
EPCOT in its current state is terrible so im interested in what they ll do in the future over the next 5 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
people probably shouldnt take me too serious on these boards anyway after all it is theme parks we re talking about
EPCOT in its current state is terrible so im interested in what they ll do in the future over the next 5 years

...if you set the bar on the ground...there’s no way they won’t come in above it.

Bender123

It might have been 98...and I’m talking a very limited window. Could have been when test track was in one of its “test/soft opening phases”...I may have even rode it during a cast preview.

I don’t know...I used to libate in the showcase a lot then. That’s my memory of it being “most complete”...I’m not googling dates.

I want to say imagination didn’t open until at least 2000?

TT opened March 1999, Horizons was last open January 1999, but soft openings were December 1998. JII was out October 1998-Oct 1999.

It looks like JIYI messed that time frame up, so Im back to 1996 as being a possibility? Maybe?

CaptainAmerica

I think the people nostalgic for the "old Epcot" often fail to realize that we (collectively) have changed in the last 30 year, not just Epcot. We're a lot more cynical than we used to be. Information is available to us instantly and infinitely. Attention spans are shorter. Parents and children are less patient. Etc. I don't think 1982 Epcot works any time other than 1982 Earth.

"Ever on another thousand circles 'round the sun" and all that.

eliza61nyc

That's why I am glad they are getting GOTG. Is it IP yes?? Is it better than what is there now? Absolutely? Could Disney have been more "creative", "imaginative" etc etc? Don't know, I don't have any insight to managements decision and I don't know what goes into building new rides. I thought TSL looked rather cool and I've been told it looks cheap so obviously my taste is skewed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the people nostalgic for the "old Epcot" often fail to realize that we (collectively) have changed in the last 30 year, not just Epcot. We're a lot more cynical than we used to be. Information is available to us instantly and infinitely. Attention spans are shorter. Parents and children are less patient. Etc. I don't think 1982 Epcot works any time other than 1982 Earth.

I actually agree with your general premise if its “the world has changed”...the internet essentially killed Epcot 1.0...

But I have to ask: when was the first time you went to Epcot?

twebber55

i agree here
i tend to view the EPCOT purists crowd like the baseball purists crowd who s mad they use a DH in the American League
yes you ve got a great point to make no they re not going back

EDIT: im 45 and went to EPCOT in 83

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I'm 58 and 1997 was the first time for my family and I. We had gone to MK prior but our kids were little so we did MK and River country at Ft. Wilderness.

Kman101

Those that said they don't build mass transit options other than buses a year ago also had a valid argument. We've seen weird things lately, the previous 15 year trends at WDW seem to be not applicable to the current regime under Chapek. Things actually happen these days.

Maybe not the things people want, that's another story.

While true, we can't say they haven't made mistakes. They still budget cut some stuff. They still put things in the wrong spot. I know some of it is personal taste, but at the same time they still have a lot of the same mentality they did. Replace instead of add, etc. Stage shows stagnating for decades ... I'm all for giving them credit when they do something but there's still a lot that needs to be changed in management's mentality when it comes to the parks.

Things are actually happening. It's great. It's also hard to be 100% supportive because of how long they weren't and we know this is catch up (and they've mishandled the DHS 'reboot'). They're not just being generous to us here. But it doesn't negate that money is being spent and things are happening, I agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom