Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
im just trying to figure out if its me saying "Im over here pick me pick me" or you re saying it

forgive me if i come across as incredulous towards your posts all of my posts on this subject was that i was intrigued by this hotel project and that people who feel this way shouldn't be called out for having that opinion and then you started quoting my posts calling me out being somewhat incorrigible
i also commented that people calling this a monstrosity need some perspective....a monstrosity is poverty, kim jung un, 9/11, ebola
not a hotel to the side of the front gate of EPCOT

and just because disney has built DVC add ons over the last 5 years that has absolutely 0 to do with what this hotel may or may not be

There’s just all kinds of things here that are off...whoever called it an “monstrosity”...it wasn’t me. I don’t particularly like it or loathe the concept - and that’s all it is.

But those that said that they don’t really build hotels well anymore have a valid argument in my opinion. It’s just that...opinion. But evidence is that they havent built a complete hotel since dak and the split/repurposed pop century. It’s been only that...and that’s not 5 years. More like 15...long time...

If you want to be the typical, pandering, passive/dismissive type...fine, but don’t call me somebody else for Delving into a concept or backstory...I work alone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In all seriousness, I was discouraged today when I happened upon the official web page for Epcot:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/epcot/

It told me everything I needed to know about the company's current understanding of Epcot. If I did not know any better, I would think that Epcot was simply another option to see animated characters and do thrill rides.

Not one mention of "discovery" or the grandeur of the park or either of its main themes (world without borders, or a future with imagination). Instead we get something about the Guardians of the Galaxy and all of the character meet and greets you can find.

I am glad to see China's beauty touted. Epcot has so much to offer that is complementary to the rest of WDW that it just kills me to see what the marketing and management folks think it is worth. Clearly they don't know what they have.

I can still be a park of amazement and wonder, and should still be that.

They’ve made that clear...they don’t understand their own Park...and yet people defend.

Nothing but magic kingdoms is tolerated as those bills go up. Old news.

twebber55

There’s just all kinds of things here that are off...whoever called it an “monstrosity”...it wasn’t me. I don’t particularly like it or loathe the concept - and that’s all it is.

But those that said that they don’t really build hotels well anymore have a valid argument in my opinion. It’s just that...opinion. But evidence is that they havent built a complete hotel since dak and the split/repurposed pop century. It’s been only that...and that’s not 5 years. More like 15...long time...

If you want to be the typical, pandering, passive/dismissive type...fine, but don’t call me somebody else for Delving into a concept or backstory...I work alone.
speaking of maturity enough of the name calling thats the third time

BrianLo

Those that said they don't build mass transit options other than buses a year ago also had a valid argument. We've seen weird things lately, the previous 15 year trends at WDW seem to be not applicable to the current regime under Chapek. Things actually happen these days.

Maybe not the things people want, that's another story.

twebber55

I won’t name call at all...promise...if it doesn’t come from sarcastic comparisons that don’t fit and are in lieu of addressing the discussion points. Which is where I was at here before the waste of time. Nite nite.
Good Morning!

to summarize
Your opinion is this hotel if built is a terrible idea based on dvc add ons over the past five years

My opinion is because we dont know where it will be built nor have an idea of what it will look like perhaps we should wait to see at least some concept art before initial thoughts are even made

now maybe i might be off on your opinion but im not for mine and mine comes across pretty rationally

eliza61nyc

In all seriousness, I was discouraged today when I happened upon the official web page for Epcot:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/epcot/

It told me everything I needed to know about the company's current understanding of Epcot. If I did not know any better, I would think that Epcot was simply another option to see animated characters and do thrill rides.

Not one mention of "discovery" or the grandeur of the park or either of its main themes (world without borders, or a future with imagination). Instead we get something about the Guardians of the Galaxy and all of the character meet and greets you can find.

I am glad to see China's beauty touted. Epcot has so much to offer that is complementary to the rest of WDW that it just kills me to see what the marketing and management folks think it is worth. Clearly they don't know what they have.

I can still be a park of amazement and wonder, and should still be that.

Because that's what the guest want to see.. You link what is basically an electronic flyer. It's telling folks all the things that can be done at the park. If I'm looking into a disney vacation I want to know what I can DO at the parks. I've got little kids, yes I want to know about the character meet and greets, no my kids were not interesting in "learning" for them that equaled school and I didn't even know that Epcot had a theme!! LOL.

so what would you have like it to say? what exactly should we be "discovering"?? it gave a little sprinkle of everything with a link to delve deeper. It mentioned both sides of Epcot including WS

I keep hearing this "mantra" about how Epcot isn't what it's supposed to be. Can you explain that?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Those that said they don't build mass transit options other than buses a year ago also had a valid argument. We've seen weird things lately, the previous 15 year trends at WDW seem to be not applicable to the current regime under Chapek. Things actually happen these days.

Maybe not the things people want, that's another story.

That’s a valid argument...based on their economic need to pump Orlando for Wall Street profits. I have zero doubts that this management wants to spend not a dime...why would they?

But...there’s a method for sure. That cable car is going to allow massive nightly increases to rates and soften for price increases/upsells in other areas.

New hotels - however - can be done more cheaply than what they traditionally did with little downside. People are already accepting more “Marriott” style designs and the reality is they can cut corners with little to no backlash.

I dont think they’ll build what we’re “used to” ever again. It really doesn’t make sense to do so from the accounting perspective.

But I won’t blame disney...never. I did 10 years ago because I had some faith in the consumer. That isn’t realistic anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because that's what the guest want to see.. You link what is basically an electronic flyer. It's telling folks all the things that can be done at the park. If I'm looking into a disney vacation I want to know what I can DO at the parks. I've got little kids, yes I want to know about the character meet and greets, no my kids were not interesting in "learning" for them that equaled school and I didn't even know that Epcot had a theme!! LOL.

so what would you have like it to say? what exactly should we be "discovering"?? it gave a little sprinkle of everything with a link to delve deeper. It mentioned both sides of Epcot including WS

I keep hearing this "mantra" about how Epcot isn't what it's supposed to be. Can you explain that?

@marni1971...want to take a stab at this??

Lets Respect

I don't think that Epcot page is bad either. Gives a good summary of Epcot for a first-timer.

You got 11 countries, Future World, sea life, rides, characters, Frozen, and the ubiquitous drinky-towns, I mean festivals.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
no my kids were not interesting in "learning"
Oh the irony
I didn't even know that Epcot had a theme!!
Yet you continue to defend the decisions being made for the park itself and you expect us to take you seriously? The titles of the two sections of Epcot (World Showcase and Future World) basically explain the theme of the park. Did you miss that? Have you ever taken time to explore WS and sample the variety of food and drink, watch the amazing street performers and speak to the CM's from all around the world? Have you ever taken the young ones in your family to all the KidCot stations in the pavilions to color and collect the stamps and have all the different languages written on the Duffy Bear cut out? Or were you too busy riding Soarin and Test Track over and over?

matt9112

...coward 😈

I think he would rather not waste his time defending something that in reality needs no explanation. I'm not old enough to have seen epcot at opening but even when I went in the mid 90s I saw things that I could not see in real life (outside the park). i cant make that statement anymore. the only reason I go there anymore is to ride SSE and hope it isnt dismembered like the rest of the park. world showcase is nice too but it's really just a giant stroller parking lot shaped like a circle it's a shame too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...coward 😈
I've done it enough times. I’m done “dedending” it. It will end up being what it will be. Hear you go:
I think he would rather not waste his time defending something that in reality needs no explanation. I'm not old enough to have seen epcot at opening but even when I went in the mid 90s I saw things that I could not see in real life (outside the park). i cant make that statement anymore. the only reason I go there anymore is to ride SSE and hope it isnt dismembered like the rest of the park. world showcase is nice too but it's really just a giant stroller parking lot shaped like a circle it's a shame too.

I just feel lucky I saw it when it was in its prime.

Bender123

I've done it enough times. I’m done “dedending” it. It will end up being what it will be. Hear you go:

just out of morbid curiosity, when was the last time Epcot actually had all its attraction centered buildings in full use? Im leaving Odessey out of this, even though I shouldn't...

By my estimation, the last time Epcot had all four East and all three West pavilions open with all attractions running was 1994...right before WoM closed to become Test Track. So its now been nearly 25 years since Epcot was actually completely "open" in an attraction sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Sarcasm, gentlemen...the line starts right behind the hand above my head...

There was a day when I would grab the shield and battle anyone complaining about their kids being bored. It’s just sad...
...but the therapy must be working since I lost interest.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I feel the same. 1991 was the last time I was there when it was in its prime. Then 1997, so WoM was gone. Then late 1999, with JIYI (so bad...), but then mid-2000 and the wrec... :cry:. Sorry, that image still haunts me to this day...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
just out of morbid curiosity, when was the last time Epcot actually had all its attraction centered buildings in full use? Im leaving Odessey out of this, even though I shouldn't...

By my estimation, the last time Epcot had all four East and all three West pavilions open with all attractions running was 1994...right before WoM closed to become Test Track. So its now been nearly 25 years since Epcot was actually completely "open" in an attraction sense.

An excellent and difficult question...

I Believe there was a soft period around 1999 where test track opened (burning rubber - literally), horizons wasn’t yet demoed, and the dreamfinder hadn’t yet been guillotined in the town square so half his ride could be demolished to build queue for the new half ride...

That’s the closest to “full utilization” we have seen since world of motion closed...which was either 93 or 94. It’s been kinda uphill since. Innoventions is always near empty, several pavilions are/were long neglected...and they closed wonders of life to not pay CPs to staff it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom