Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Kman101

I was at Epcot this week, and am planning on going over latter today fo dinner and boy oh boy World Showcase needs at least two more something's to absorb people. Even though I loath more IP's in the world showcase, if Ratatouille moves into the empty space next to the France Pavilion it would split up the morning rush to frozen and spread out the crowds.

Honestly, with the crowds I saw the other day, all of the parks need double the attractions. They can't handle the crowds anymore. People just pouring into the parks. With nowhere to go. It's not just me wanting more things to do, it's what's needed. Even the MK needs more. It's bad. The crowding isn't fun.

wdwgreek

Honestly, with the crowds I saw the other day, all of the parks need double the attractions. They can't handle the crowds anymore. People just pouring into the parks. With nowhere to go. It's not just me wanting more things to do, it's what's needed. Even the MK needs more. It's bad. The crowding isn't fun.
I was at Mk Monday and Thursday night and boy oh boy. Everywhere I walked crowds, walls of people. The breezeway between Small World and Pan is the worst offender, but Magic Kingdom agreed does need help. Epcot has so much space heck it has a whole pavilion empty they could use! Frustration does not begin to describe my feelings on the under utilization of Epcot.

RobidaFlats

Yikes, does this means we have to stalk @marni1971 for a new video soon?

hang on, I remember someone confirmed that NOT ALL countries have "sponsors" or any kind of financial push by the representing country.
So I'm like...
ULoKBSi.gif

As far as Martin's Videos, I have no inside information whatsoever about his release schedule or plans and am merely a fan who is excited. He has mentioned some things he is working on before, but no timelines.

As far as the EPCOT sponsorship stuff. The truth is that the stuff about pavilions needing approval and/or sponsorship from the governments of the nations involved is 100% bogus. Sponsorship in general is not necessary for anything that WDW wants to do. They use it as a crutch, to help with financing, but it is definitely not needed as not everything debuted with a sponsor or maintained one throughout.

Goofyernmost

As far as the EPCOT sponsorship stuff. The truth is that the stuff about pavilions needing approval and/or sponsorship from the governments of the nations involved is 100% bogus. Sponsorship in general is not necessary for anything that WDW wants to do. They use it as a crutch, to help with financing, but it is definitely not needed as not everything debuted with a sponsor or maintained one throughout.
What I remember saying is slightly, but, significantly different. The governments directly no, not needed and as far as I know, not done by the government itself. However, committees, loosely connected with the governments do get involved in an effort to promote tourism in those countries. Directly spending tax money for a WDW Theme Park Attraction would not have gone over well with any of the countries, so it was laundered, for lack of a better word, though those organizations to prevent negative backlash from the citizens. Also, and I have stated this a few times, without financial aid of some sort from each represented country the ones that did pay in, would be getting upset as to why they didn't get a free ride from Disney. That is also why nothing has happened there since the "Worlds Fair" scenario cooled off and countries found it better to invest in internet promotion instead of hardcore Fair type promotion. For Disney to randomly pick a country to be represented in World Showcase at Disney sole expense would have all the other nations not represented screaming about why they aren't in there as well. Back when Worlds Fairs were common and considered a good investment, WS was built. It wouldn't be today.

Look at the Japanese Pavilion for example. Have you been in the gift shop? Do you see all the companies goods represented there? Pokemon, etc. That isn't Japanese culture that is Japanese business. They are paying a great deal to just be represented there. If something had a sufficient following that was originally sponsored by a business, it has continued to exist even after sponsorship dissolved. If it didn't it is gone. It's pretty simple really and had been an active policy since Disneyland opened up in 1955.

S 2

I have an article that was published from I think it was ten or fifteen years ago now, when South Korea came forward wanting a pavilion and had the funds and investors interested, but Disney said no. I'll have to see if I can find it.
That has the potential for a full blown documentary, I for one would LOVE to see that!

S2iAM

RobidaFlats

What I remember saying is slightly, but, significantly different. The governments directly no, not needed and as far as I know, not done by the government itself. However, committees, loosely connected with the governments do get involved in an effort to promote tourism in those countries. Directly spending tax money for a WDW Theme Park Attraction would not have gone over well with any of the countries, so it was laundered, for lack of a better word, though those organizations to prevent negative backlash from the citizens.

Unless you have sources to back this up, this is speculation at best. Tax money and its use varies wildly from nation to nation and blanket statement about backlash is a stretch.

Also, and I have stated this a few times, without financial aid of some sort from each represented country the ones that did pay in, would be getting upset as to why they didn't get a free ride from Disney. That is also why nothing has happened there since the "Worlds Fair" scenario cooled off and countries found it better to invest in internet promotion instead of hardcore Fair type promotion. For Disney to randomly pick a country to be represented in World Showcase at Disney sole expense would have all the other nations not represented screaming about why they aren't in there as well. Back when Worlds Fairs were common and considered a good investment, WS was built. It wouldn't be today.

This is patently false as both the Canadian and Chinese pavilions opened without sponsors.

Edit: removed a response that was unclear.

lazyboy97o

What I remember saying is slightly, but, significantly different. The governments directly no, not needed and as far as I know, not done by the government itself. However, committees, loosely connected with the governments do get involved in an effort to promote tourism in those countries. Directly spending tax money for a WDW Theme Park Attraction would not have gone over well with any of the countries, so it was laundered, for lack of a better word, though those organizations to prevent negative backlash from the citizens. Also, and I have stated this a few times, without financial aid of some sort from each represented country the ones that did pay in, would be getting upset as to why they didn't get a free ride from Disney. That is also why nothing has happened there since the "Worlds Fair" scenario cooled off and countries found it better to invest in internet promotion instead of hardcore Fair type promotion. For Disney to randomly pick a country to be represented in World Showcase at Disney sole expense would have all the other nations not represented screaming about why they aren't in there as well. Back when Worlds Fairs were common and considered a good investment, WS was built. It wouldn't be today.

Look at the Japanese Pavilion for example. Have you been in the gift shop? Do you see all the companies goods represented there? Pokemon, etc. That isn't Japanese culture that is Japanese business. They are paying a great deal to just be represented there. If something had a sufficient following that was originally sponsored by a business, it has continued to exist even after sponsorship dissolved. If it didn't it is gone. It's pretty simple really and had been an active policy since Disneyland opened up in 1955.
None of this is true. You don't know what you are talking about and are just making things up.

Most of the World Showcase sponsors were private companies, they had nothing to do with tourism boards or governments, much less conspiracies to defraud tax payers.

World's Fairs still happen and governments still pay for pavilions at them along with the required membership in the BIE. There will be a World's Fair this year. There was one in 2015, and 2012 and a huge one in 2010.

The store in the Japan Pavilion is a Mitsukoshi Department Store and features products that are on sale at their locations in Japan. Mitsukoshi has been in business for over four hundred years.

Goofyernmost

Unless you have sources to back this up, this is speculation at best. Tax money and its use varies wildly from nation to nation and blanket statement about backlash is a stretch.

This is patently false as both the Canadian and Chinese pavilions opened without sponsors.

Edit: removed a response that was unclear.
OK, do you by any chance have reliable sources that Canada and China had no direct or indirect contribution to it's existence? I'm finding that pretty hard to believe especially China. Communism was still a pretty heavy word back in the 80's. Politics is now and always has been a pretty sensitive subject between countries, not a stretch at all. By backlash, I didn't mean we would go to war, but, it would be a problem for diplomacy.
None of this is true. You don't know what you are talking about and are just making things up.

Most of the World Showcase sponsors were private companies, they had nothing to do with tourism boards or governments, much less conspiracies to defraud tax payers.

World's Fairs still happen and governments still pay for pavilions at them along with the required membership in the BIE. There will be a World's Fair this year. There was one in 2015, and 2012 and a huge one in 2010.

The store in the Japan Pavilion is a Mitsukoshi Department Store and features products that are on sale at their locations in Japan. Mitsukoshi has been in business for over four hundred years.
I thought this was about no sponsorship. I don't care if it was a company or a local chamber of commerce, it is still sponsorship and unless those private industries were doing it out of charitable work, there was a connection. I said that the government wasn't directly involved, however, it is the height of naive to think that they didn't have some involvement. Sponsorship with no return is charity not commerce.

As for the Mitsukoshi Department Store is concerned... wow, and you guys get all upset about Frozen being in Norway yet you seem to have no problem with the only real display of Japanese social culture over centuries and centuries of existence are some idiotic looking toys that are manufactured there in Japan, while ignoring the massive tradition and normal life of the Japanese people. Really? 400 years is but a fossil fart in the expanse of Japan and its culture. That"s acceptable to you? It is OK with me, but, I don't take my Theme Parks as serious as you do, but, really I'm not saying what they were doing was a bad thing, but, somebody paid out for that stuff and I don't think it was Disney. And I also think the world cultures do indeed care about where their money is being spent and although I don't see it as a conspiracy, like you do, I do see it as a normal method of operation for all governments, including this one.

There could very well have been World Fairs in some of the years, however, if they where anywhere near the degree of magnitude that they were back in the 60's and 70's I would have to guess that our promotional system has broken down since then because I don't hear of them at all anymore. Where were these Fairs, why were they not promoted? I loved Worlds Fairs and almost went to the NY one, but, couldn't. I did go to Expo 67 in Montreal a number of times and in 1970 I went to the Worlds Fair in Osaka, Japan. I do know that they had a tendency to bankrupt most of the cities that they were held in due to the need for added infrastructure and the like. If they still exist, I have not heard about them at all and they apparently didn't have much impact on the world like they once did.

lazyboy97o

OK, do you by any chance have reliable sources that Canada and China had no direct or indirect contribution to it's existence? I'm finding that pretty hard to believe especially China. Communism was still a pretty heavy word back in the 80's. Politics is now and always has been a pretty sensitive subject between countries, not a stretch at all. By backlash, I didn't mean we would go to war, but, it would be a problem for diplomacy.
The development of EPCOT Center, including the process of acquiring sponsors, is well documented and discussed.

I thought this was about no sponsorship. I don't care if it was a company or a local chamber of commerce, it is still sponsorship and unless those private industries were doing it out of charitable work, there was a connection. I said that the government wasn't directly involved, however, it is the height of naive to think that they didn't have some involvement. Sponsorship with no return is charity not commerce.
You are a liar. You have nothing to back up any of this nonsense.

As for the Mitsukoshi Department Store is concerned... wow, and you guys get all upset about Frozen being in Norway yet you seem to have no problem with the only real display of Japanese social culture over centuries and centuries of existence are some idiotic looking toys that are manufactured there in Japan, while ignoring the massive tradition and normal life of the Japanese people. Really? 400 years is but a fossil fart in the expanse of Japan and its culture. That"s acceptable to you? It is OK with me, but, I don't take my Theme Parks as serious as you do, but, really I'm not saying what they were doing was a bad thing, but, somebody paid out for that stuff and I don't think it was Disney. And I also think the world cultures do indeed care about where their money is being spent and although I don't see it as a conspiracy, like you do, I do see it as a normal method of operation for all governments, including this one.
So what a Japanese department store sells is not Japanese enough for you? The store sells items they sell to normal Japanese people in their normal Japanese stores.

There could very well have been World Fairs in some of the years, however, if they where anywhere near the degree of magnitude that they were back in the 60's and 70's I would have to guess that our promotional system has broken down since then because I don't hear of them at all anymore. Where were these Fairs, why were they not promoted? I loved Worlds Fairs and almost went to the NY one, but, couldn't. I did go to Expo 67 in Montreal a number of times and in 1970 I went to the Worlds Fair in Osaka, Japan. I do know that they had a tendency to bankrupt most of the cities that they were held in due to the need for added infrastructure and the like. If they still exist, I have not heard about them at all and they apparently didn't have much impact on the world like they once did.
You don't know it so therefore nobody else can know it.

RobidaFlats

Ah, I was tricked. Your avatar has changed since the last time I was suckered into a discussion with you and I didn't realize who I was dealing with until this post.

Good day.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm fairly certain that if there was government involvement with the design of a country's WS pavilion, it would be documented somewhere, like in the expansive and thoroughly enjoyable "Walt Disney's EPCOT Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow" book. And I cannot find any such reference in that book.

lazyboy97o

I'm fairly certain that if there was government involvement with the design of a country's WS pavilion, it would be documented somewhere, like in the expansive and thoroughly enjoyable "Walt Disney's EPCOT Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow" book. And I cannot find any such reference in that book.
That's because the government sponsored pavilions came after the park opened.

No place for that in polite discussion, if you have any manners.
It is polite to make up accusations of gross financial malfeasance on the part of Walt Disney Productions and a number of national governments?

Tony the Tigger

That's because the government sponsored pavilions came after the park opened.

It is polite to make up accusations of gross financial malfeasance on the part of Walt Disney Productions and a number of national governments?

Is it possible to just suggest they are mistaken, rather than aggressively ascribing motives?

It's odd to me how offended you seem - unless your last name is Disney.

It's far more likely the other person was mistaken, misinformed, misremembering - or, for all I know, correct - than actively lying to you on a message board, as if there would be any benefit to doing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom