Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Princess Leia

Yes, but, he doesn't know the territory! Extra points for the source of that statement.
Why it's the Model T Ford made the trouble, made the people wanna go, wanna get, wanna get, wanna get up and go, seven, eight, nine, ten, twelve, fourteen, twenty-two, twenty-three miles to the county seat!

I was in the pit orchestra when my school did Music Man 7 years ago, and I still know all the words to most of these songs.

Princess Leia

Whether or not there is an IP attached, the WS needs at least 2 new rides to offset the Frozen fever.

When you take out all of the musical acts, the WS has:
  • 2 rides (Mexico & Norway)
  • 1 AA Stage show (America)
  • 2 CircleVision 360 films (China & Canada)
  • 1 panoramic film (France)
  • 1 year round train display (Germany)
Italy, Japan, Morocco, and the UK have nothing, when they all deserve something. I don't think that a ride belongs in Morocco (I'd prefer a show of some variation instead), but the other three have so many options available to them.
  • Italy needs more than DL's Pinocchio book report. That wouldn't work in the WS. However, if they made it a gondola ride that somehow tied in Italy's culture and simply included Pinocchio (without the more frightening parts of the story), it could maybe work
  • Japan- Mt. Fuji, keep Big Hero 6 far away from this pavilion
  • UK- Mary Poppins would be the best IP to use here for a ride, but I would make a case for an Alice in Wonderland walk-through maze (not based off of the Depp movies)
  • Germany- Grimm fairy tales on the rivers? Since I doubt we'll be getting the river cruise, I guess you could put Snow White and/or Rapunzel in the ride, but focus on the more frightening, Grimm-like parts of the movies.
Countries that should be added to the WS (basing this off of the Millennium Village, which, side note, I remember going to, so I guess my years are off in my signature, whoops)
  • Brazil- South America isn't represented at Disney World, with the exception of Jose Carioca. It could have a Carnaval celebration (if Canada doesn't already have one), and there could be an Amazon rainforest boat ride hosted by Jose (if Coco takes over Mexico, Jose is going to be leaving Epcot)
  • India- I'm not sure if Taj Mahal would be the best choice of a landmark here (it's a mausoleum), but the Amber Palace is just as beautiful. The obvious choice of an IP would be Jungle Book, if it isn't utilized as a ride at AK.

RobidaFlats

WS was planned to go next to the TTC originally. The Futureworld Theme Center was roughly where the park ended up. Then they moved closer to each other in various versions until they merged circa 1977 IIRC. I'm at work at the mo or id post some art.

By "at work" you mean working on a glorious new video of some sort right? ;)

We finally booked another trip and I have been subjecting the family to even more WDW history lately. :D

FigmentJedi

Troll snobbery. This board never ceases to amaze me.
I'm sorry, but the Rock Smurfs were the worst part of that movie and Fixer Upper is the worst Disney song of the decade.

Gonna go off on a "They should have done something closer to the original material" tangent here, but just imagine if they had taken cues from the "Troll vaguely implied to be the devil created the evil mirror whose icy shards corrupt the hearts of people that ends up setting the story into motion" and did some kinda troll sorcerer villain instead of just borrowing the plot of the Shrek sequels and going "Surprise, Prince Charming is evil!".

Earl Sweatpants

From a business standpoint, MK doesn't need it. Epcot did. I would've made the same decision, regardless if it was only 95% perfect and not 100%.

I'm looking forward to more rides and characters in Epcot world showcase. I was always surprised there weren't more.

View attachment 182984

Magnet from Epcot Italy. Wouldn't have purchased one without some Disney reference.
Just to reiterate, I am ALL for the inclusion of characters in WS...sidenote, I recently purchased the McDonalds Happy Meal toy line of the main characters in various WS garb...Goofy in Norway is ironically my favorite...but I think we're discussing a horse of a different color. Seeing Minnie in a traditional Japanese kimono would be wonderful, or Donald in lederhosen walking around Germany...but I wouldn't want an actual attraction built around that.

Earl Sweatpants

I'm sorry, but the Rock Smurfs were the worst part of that movie and Fixer Upper is the worst Disney song of the decade.

Gonna go off on a "They should have done something closer to the original material" tangent here, but just imagine if they had taken cues from the "Troll vaguely implied to be the devil created the evil mirror whose icy shards corrupt the hearts of people that ends up setting the story into motion" and did some kinda troll sorcerer villain instead of just borrowing the plot of the Shrek sequels and going "Surprise, Prince Charming is evil!".
**resisting urge to not go off on Frozen the movie**

RSoxNo1

The fact that Frozen Ever After opened with reduced capacity less than a month after both Soarin' and Toy Story increased their capacity is pretty laughable. If Frozen Ever After was a new build in the Norway Pavilion or they otherwise managed to increase capacity over Maelstrom it would have only been a theme issue. Now, it's a theme and operational issue. I said it during construction and I'll say it now. Frozen Ever After was the worst attraction decision in the history of the Walt Disney World. The fact that the ride is good is irrelevant because of everything else that's wrong with it.

lukacseven

Whether or not there is an IP attached, the WS needs at least 2 new rides to offset the Frozen fever.
Countries that should be added to the WS (basing this off of the Millennium Village, which, side note, I remember going to, so I guess my years are off in my signature, whoops)
  • Brazil- South America isn't represented at Disney World, with the exception of Jose Carioca. It could have a Carnaval celebration (if Canada doesn't already have one), and there could be an Amazon rainforest boat ride hosted by Jose (if Coco takes over Mexico, Jose is going to be leaving Epcot)
  • India- I'm not sure if Taj Mahal would be the best choice of a landmark here (it's a mausoleum), but the Amber Palace is just as beautiful. The obvious choice of an IP would be Jungle Book, if it isn't utilized as a ride at AK.
New countries cannot simply be added by WDW. The attractions need to be endorsed by the tourism board and partially financed by the representing country. There are several areas set aside in the original design to accommodate additional countries, but none ever bought in. Not sure what the policy regarding expanding the existing countries or adding attractions is. I always felt the American pavilion was the weakest and could use some more love.

FigmentJedi

Frozen Ever After was the worst attraction decision in the history of the Walt Disney World. The fact that the ride is good is irrelevant because of everything else that's wrong with it.
You mean the second worst attraction decision in the history of WDW.

Of course, Frozen Ever After did supposedly suck up a budget allotted for Journey Into Imagination 4 and the presumable return of Dreamfinder with it.

lazyboy97o

New countries cannot simply be added by WDW. The attractions need to be endorsed by the tourism board and partially financed by the representing country.
This is in no way true. The vast majority of sponsorships are corporate. Only Morocco is sponsored by the government and Norway was previously sponsored by the government. Pavilions have even been built and gone without any sponsorship.

Magenta Panther

The fact that Frozen Ever After opened with reduced capacity less than a month after both Soarin' and Toy Story increased their capacity is pretty laughable. If Frozen Ever After was a new build in the Norway Pavilion or they otherwise managed to increase capacity over Maelstrom it would have only been a theme issue. Now, it's a theme and operational issue. I said it during construction and I'll say it now. Frozen Ever After was the worst attraction decision in the history of the Walt Disney World. The fact that the ride is good is irrelevant because of everything else that's wrong with it.

Plus it breaks down a lot, to the point of embarrassment.

RSoxNo1

You mean the second worst attraction decision in the history of WDW.

Of course, Frozen Ever After did supposedly suck up a budget allotted for Journey Into Imagination 4 and the presumable return of Dreamfinder with it.

No, Imagination was poor execution with a limited budget, there have been plenty of examples of that. This was a reasonable enough budget, poor location, and horrible operational issues. Add in that it's the final nail in the coffin to the death of Epcot and nothing is close.

FigmentJedi

No, Imagination was poor execution with a limited budget, there have been plenty of examples of that. This was a reasonable enough budget, poor location, and horrible operational issues. Add in that it's the final nail in the coffin to the death of Epcot and nothing is close.
I'd say replacing Imagination with a vaguely science themed funhouse was conceptually flawed from the start. Even if it had a budget to make those illusions really pop, it would still be all flash and no substance with Eric "I'm the Python that'll do the crappiest acting jobs if it gets me money" Idle mocking your presumed lack of creativity.

Frozen's a nail in the coffin, but I'd say what happened to Imagination was a cancer they've left mostly untreated.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
New countries cannot simply be added by WDW. The attractions need to be endorsed by the tourism board and partially financed by the representing country. There are several areas set aside in the original design to accommodate additional countries, but none ever bought in. Not sure what the policy regarding expanding the existing countries or adding attractions is. I always felt the American pavilion was the weakest and could use some more love.
Nope.

Canada got a little upset when their pavilion opened with no tourism or governmental input. Telecom Canada had more input.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom