Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If the stereotypes are "fine", what is the problem? If you google "Mexican Culture" and then look at the image results, it looks basically like Gran Fiesta Tour.
It would be far more authentic if the ride was replaced with scenes of the dumps north of Mexico City and pick up trucks with armed men in fatiques riding in the back through city traffic, I suppose.

Princess Leia

Not really. Morocco and Norway did have a lot of input from their countries for various reasons which isn't really a demonstrator.

Possible future developments aren't dependent on a particular government.
I knew about Morocco and Norway. Since the whole sponsor thing isn't as important, does that mean that Disney can choose a country at whim without working with a government, or would that be frowned upon? Just thinking about Brazil and it's economy.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I knew about Morocco and Norway. Since the whole sponsor thing isn't as important, does that mean that Disney can choose a country at whim without working with a government, or would that be frowned upon. Just thinking about Brazil and it's economy.
I'm sure they'd say something first! Other than that I think sponsor is as important as official lines.

lazyboy97o

I knew about Morocco and Norway. Since the whole sponsor thing isn't as important, does that mean that Disney can choose a country at whim without working with a government, or would that be frowned upon. Just thinking about Brazil and it's economy.
There is no need for anything from the respective governments. Disney can build whatever pavilions they desire with or without sponsorship. Embraer was behind a recent push for the Brazil Pavilion.

Princess Leia

I'm sure they'd say something first! Other than that I think sponsor is as important as official lines.

There is no need for anything from the respective governments. Disney can build whatever pavilions they desire with or without sponsorship. Embraer was behind a recent push for the Brazil Pavilion.
Thanks :) I would love to see a new pavilion in the WS, I just wasn't sure how difficult it would be to make that happen in today's world.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It would be far more authentic if the ride was replaced with scenes of the dumps north of Mexico City and pick up trucks with armed men in fatiques riding in the back through city traffic, I suppose.
Sounds like a good shooter attraction. Or they could buy the IP to the Netflix show, 'Narcos' and make the ride really "dope", and that would make for a good Meet and Greet as well.

Goofyernmost

Whether or not there is an IP attached, the WS needs at least 2 new rides to offset the Frozen fever.

When you take out all of the musical acts, the WS has:
  • 2 rides (Mexico & Norway)
  • 1 AA Stage show (America)
  • 2 CircleVision 360 films (China & Canada)
  • 1 panoramic film (France)
  • 1 year round train display (Germany)
Italy, Japan, Morocco, and the UK have nothing, when they all deserve something. I don't think that a ride belongs in Morocco (I'd prefer a show of some variation instead), but the other three have so many options available to them.
  • Italy needs more than DL's Pinocchio book report. That wouldn't work in the WS. However, if they made it a gondola ride that somehow tied in Italy's culture and simply included Pinocchio (without the more frightening parts of the story), it could maybe work
  • Japan- Mt. Fuji, keep Big Hero 6 far away from this pavilion
  • UK- Mary Poppins would be the best IP to use here for a ride, but I would make a case for an Alice in Wonderland walk-through maze (not based off of the Depp movies)
  • Germany- Grimm fairy tales on the rivers? Since I doubt we'll be getting the river cruise, I guess you could put Snow White and/or Rapunzel in the ride, but focus on the more frightening, Grimm-like parts of the movies.
Countries that should be added to the WS (basing this off of the Millennium Village, which, side note, I remember going to, so I guess my years are off in my signature, whoops)
  • Brazil- South America isn't represented at Disney World, with the exception of Jose Carioca. It could have a Carnaval celebration (if Canada doesn't already have one), and there could be an Amazon rainforest boat ride hosted by Jose (if Coco takes over Mexico, Jose is going to be leaving Epcot)
  • India- I'm not sure if Taj Mahal would be the best choice of a landmark here (it's a mausoleum), but the Amber Palace is just as beautiful. The obvious choice of an IP would be Jungle Book, if it isn't utilized as a ride at AK.
Please I saw Alice's Curious Labyrinth in Disneyland Paris and if there was an attraction in the world that is worse I would like to see it. I was ready to jump the hedges just to get out or pay someone to lead me out quicker. It was awful.
All I can remember about it was "let me out" was screaming in my head at a very high volume. No, it wasn't claustrophobia of a fear of being lost. It was strictly that I knew that no matter how many minutes I spent in there I would never get back. IMHO, it was just awful.

BrerJon

Please I saw Alice's Curious Labyrinth in Disneyland Paris and if there was an attraction in the world that is worse I would like to see it. I was ready to jump the hedges just to get out or pay someone to lead me out quicker. It was awful.

That maze is really popular with kids though, and it absorbs crowds like nothing else, I'm sure some guests never escape and just melt forever into the hedges!

Something like that at DHS would really help with the 'no attractions and nothing for kids' problem, and one at MK would really help absorb crowds. They can't be too difficult to build, can be temporary (just a load of planters and props) so can use vacant land, but are really enjoyable for kids (and big kids) to run around and burn off some energy exploring.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All I can remember about it was "let me out" was screaming in my head at a very high volume. No, it wasn't claustrophobia of a fear of being lost. It was strictly that I knew that no matter how many minutes I spent in there I would never get back. IMHO, it was just awful.

For your future peace of mind, learn the right hand rule for getting out of mazes.

JoeCamel

Ummm.... Jack Sparrow or Narnia, take your pick

Cesar R M

if you think that is an accurate depiction of your culture than great,
So, you just skipped what I wrote and insisted on "stereotype" ?

Honestly, they could have gone for bad stereotypes (despite being the hardest workers per hour, we still are represented as dirty lazy people who loves siestas under a cactus's shadow)

Are you from Mexico? Because if not, this post really comes across as you trying to tell an actual Mexican citizen that he's wrong to think the Mexican pavilion is an accurate representation of his culture. I think he would know.
THANK YOU

Do you really want to play this game?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

"Ice Queen" isn't a Norwegian folklore character. Hans Christian Andersen was a Danish author.

And I'm pretty sure the Rock Smurfs are a significant downgrade from the original ride's trolls.

wober6d.gif

They should have just renamed "Norway Pavilion" to "Scandinavian Pavilion" and divide it into parts.

Cesar R M

By "at work" you mean working on a glorious new video of some sort right? ;)

We finally booked another trip and I have been subjecting the family to even more WDW history lately. :D
Yikes, does this means we have to stalk @marni1971 for a new video soon?

New countries cannot simply be added by WDW. The attractions need to be endorsed by the tourism board and partially financed by the representing country. There are several areas set aside in the original design to accommodate additional countries, but none ever bought in. Not sure what the policy regarding expanding the existing countries or adding attractions is. I always felt the American pavilion was the weakest and could use some more love.
hang on, I remember someone confirmed that NOT ALL countries have "sponsors" or any kind of financial push by the representing country.
So I'm like...
ULoKBSi.gif

S 2

If you wanted to embody the worst parts of a country; the opposite of what World Showcase (and all Disney Parks really) is supposed to be. Maybe we should just put the worst parts of Detroit next to the American Pavilion too?

I agree that they should invest more in attractions around the showcase before they start building more countries.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Ice Queen" isn't a Norwegian folklore character. Hans Christian Andersen was a Danish author.

We're not exactly sure that Odin and Trolls were Norwegian in origin. Certainly, the Norse had an Odin and Trolls, but so did the rest of Scandinavia and the Germanic tribes. It's possible Odin and Trolls originated in Denmark and is properly Danish (as much as we could say that before the time of strict national borders), and therefore, Odin and the Ice Queen both may come from the same extra-Norwegian region. But we don't know because of the lack of written history.

Thus, Odin and Trolls are Norse not in the sense of a national identity of Norway and are "Norwegian" but Norse in the sense of the Northern European tribes and are better referred to as Scandinavian... like the Ice Queen.

Bandini

The native clothes, music, and folklore is what is trotted out for tourists whenever they visit different countries. Is anything about this authentic? In most countries it's part of their history, but in reality our world is pretty homogeneous.

wdwgreek

I was at Epcot this week, and am planning on going over latter today fo dinner and boy oh boy World Showcase needs at least two more something's to absorb people. Even though I loath more IP's in the world showcase, if Ratatouille moves into the empty space next to the France Pavilion it would split up the morning rush to frozen and spread out the crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom