Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

wdwfan4ver

Frozen is a new, original IP.

Corporate synergy is the name of the game. This is not art for art's sake. It's not a museum. It's a corporation. If you don't make money, then you don't get to make art.
There is something you are ignoring with Frozen. Disney actually failed in taking advantage of a very popular IP as a ride attraction for WDW. You are dealing with a building that only can handle 900 to 1,000 guest per hour at best when it was Maelstrom and Disney really didn't do anything to fix that issue. The sad thing about this is Hong Kong Disney Land supposed to have the same ride as Epcot has with the same capacity problem.

You may talk about IP as much as you want, but a very popular IP only having an extremely low ride Capacity is a very poor decision by Disney. What any Frozen ride needs is capacity for 1,500 guests per hour from a minimum standpoint .

Disney should've learned about not giving a very popular ip a low Capacity after what happened With Toy Story Midway Mania at DHS before Disney was forced to give TSMM a 3rd track that opened in 2016.

You may take about an attraction making money, you aren't realizing Frozen Ever After actually is hurt the profit margin of Epcot due to low Capacity as a way to max out profits. What the Frozen ride does is brings guests into the park, but they are spending so much time waiting line that the park isn't maximizing the profits.

While Disney makes money for guests going into Epcot, the size of the margin depends on stuff like the food, drinks, and Merchandise.
It's a well known fact that Disney management for looked at Epcot for many years as a way to make tons of money on food, drinks and merchandise and explains why they increase the amount dates of the Food and Wine Festival with them doing a poor job of letting Future World be in the state it is in.

Take a look at What happen New Years Eve for Frozen Ever After Waiting times with it being up to 5 Hours long. Yes, Attractions are supposed to be long for lines on New Years Eve, but only up to the 170 to 200 minute range. If it goes higher than that on New Years Eve for waiting line, You need to look at the Capacity of the ride and what that theme park offers for attractions.

Epcot's issue is having a popular low capacity ride and What Epcot offers for attractions. Even if World Showcase gets another attraction using a Expansion pad, Frozen Ever After wait time still would be past the 200 minute range on New Years eve due to it being a low capacity ride.

RSoxNo1

There is something you are ignoring with Frozen. Disney actually failed in taking advantage of a very popular IP as a ride attraction for WDW. You are dealing with a building that only can handle 900 to 1,000 guest per hour at best when it was Maelstrom and Disney really didn't do anything to fix that issue. The sad thing about this is Hong Kong Disney Land supposed to have the same ride as Epcot has with the same capacity problem.

You may talk about IP as much as you want, but a very popular IP only having an extremely low ride Capacity is a very poor decision by Disney. What any Frozen ride needs is capacity for 1,500 guests per hour from a minimum standpoint .

Disney should've learned about not giving a very popular ip a low Capacity after what happened With Toy Story Midway Mania at DHS before Disney was forced to give TSMM a 3rd track that opened in 2016.

You may take about an attraction making money, you aren't realizing Frozen Ever After actually is hurt the profit margin of Epcot due to low Capacity as a way to max out profits. What the Frozen ride does is brings guests into the park, but they are spending so much time waiting line that the park isn't maximizing the profits.

While Disney makes money for guests going into Epcot, the size of the margin depends on stuff like the food, drinks, and Merchandise.
It's a well known fact that Disney management for looked at Epcot for many years as a way to make tons of money on food, drinks and merchandise and explains why they increase the amount dates of the Food and Wine Festival with them doing a poor job of letting Future World be in the state it is in.

Take a look at What happen New Years Eve for Frozen Ever After Waiting times with it being up to 5 Hours long. Yes, Attractions are supposed to be long for lines on New Years Eve, but only up to the 170 to 200 minute range. If it goes higher than that on New Years Eve for waiting line, You need to look at the Capacity of the ride and what that theme park offers for attractions.

Epcot's issue is having a popular low capacity ride and What Epcot offers for attractions. Even if World Showcase gets another attraction using a Expansion pad, Frozen Ever After wait time still would be past the 200 minute range on New Years eve due to it being a low capacity ride.
Another solid point here. Frozen deserved more than the shoehorn treatment and a C/D-ticket.

JoeCamel

Let's see...you take one of your most popular films and retrofit its ONLY attraction at the parks into one of the shortest rides ever without increasing its capacity or length...what do you expect? Disney created its own wait-time problem. But hey, it keeps people in Epcot for longer.

Once the margarita stand opens the waiting time will be of no concern. You can have all the frozen you can pay for.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Disney team also visited Idaho and Canada for inspiration and to study the elements, (its true). So by your logic, FEA could easily go into Canada or America pavilions.

They've also studied human movement so thankfully, all movie IPs now fit anywhere that involve human beings. Point well made!

montyz81

It's possibly their most popular IP of the moment (in this galaxy anyway)

It deserved so much more and not to be used as a tool to try to fix a park that needed something else.
It's funny, I never thought WS was broken. I think it mostly does today what it set out to do in 82. It is mostly why this park gets the attendee numbers that it gets.
Just think if Marti never decided to push the too parks together. FW would not exist today!

Tony the Tigger

Simply because its Frozen. Can you honestly say it wouldn't have been smarter to wait and build a brand new mini-Arendelle (like the one proposed for DL) at MK instead of FEA?

From a business standpoint, MK doesn't need it. Epcot did. I would've made the same decision, regardless if it was only 95% perfect and not 100%.

I'm looking forward to more rides and characters in Epcot world showcase. I was always surprised there weren't more.

IMG_0026.JPG

Magnet from Epcot Italy. Wouldn't have purchased one without some Disney reference.

Tony the Tigger

Because they failed to consider that familiarity breeds popularity and the capacity of the ride is insufficient.

Let's see...you take one of your most popular films and retrofit its ONLY attraction at the parks into one of the shortest rides ever without increasing its capacity or length...what do you expect? Disney created its own wait-time problem. But hey, it keeps people in Epcot for longer.

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

RoysCabin

It's funny, I never thought WS was broken. I think it mostly does today what it set out to do in 82. It is mostly why this park gets the attendee numbers that it gets.
Just think if Marti never decided to push the too parks together. FW would not exist today!

Honestly, I agree, though I'd still love to see more countries added or attractions added to the spaces in pavilions like Germany or Japan where they already have show buildings. But overall, World Showcase is a masterpiece, and by and large is still very effective. Again, I hear people complain that it's too much like going through a shopping mall that happens to have restaurants/bars in it, but when you read what World Showcase was meant to be in its initial form in the EPCOT city, and then as an "EPCOT satellite" location before they settled on the World's Fair format, that's essentially what it was all along: a themed shopping area with goods and eateries from different nations/regions interspersed with some smaller Disney/WED-created attractions.

Beyond that, it's just one of the greatest themed areas to simply hang out in. Honestly, I'd be happy to never see another gigantic E-ticket added to World Showcase (and I don't think most of the pavilions quite have the capacity for one, anyway), if we accept American Adventure as it's one E-level attraction. I'd also be happy with a few new nations added, more frequently refreshed/cycled museum display areas, some updates to a few of the films and attractions whenever necessary, and mostly C/D level rides that keep a by and large laid back feeling, though occasionally spiced up a bit here or there. Not to say I'd thumb my nose if they ever revisited the Mt. Fuji coaster idea (unlikely, given Everest in AK), but I love the freedom to walk at your own pace and duck into whatever shop, bar, gallery, or smaller-scale show or ride tickles your fancy at a given moment, and WS delivers that, always has.

CanadianGordon

To be honest when I visited the park last, I completely and utterly forgot about WS and rushed through it. I'd listened to too many negative "Disney" fans who forget about the rare visitor that only goes once in a while. I later watched things on youtube. Walk throughs, rides... I missed out on the American Experience which I had wanted to see. Love the AAs... So honestly I will be spending more time at Epcot than the last time the next time I go.
I don't drink so I'm the rare type that loves the designs and work that the Imagineers go into. I miss the original Epcot, sure. But I'm looking forward to whatever the next step is.
As long as the park gets a good refresh.. We don't need a fifth park. Let's fix the ones we got already.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's a quick fix idea for WS:

For all the undeveloped pads that are sitting unpavilioned between the existing 'countries'... develop them into picnic parks (temporarily, of course, until new national pavilions or attractions are built.) Then, you can move all the festival kiosks in there. Have some seating and shade... no more eating on a garbage can!

We could also use some indoor performing theaters...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom