Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Kman101

So I take this to mean that the Coco overlay is going to happen, but will be incredibly unsubstantial and will offer almost nothing that is truly new (in other words, swap out the screens, call it a day). Am I on the mark here?

Anyone wanna place bets on a curtain covering the animatronics they just installed? Lol

Goofyernmost

You're right. I don't. It wasn't.

"Retelling the story with brighter lights“ is also a rather simplistic and dare I say naive description of an attraction overhaul.

Yes, it seems to have brought more people into a dying park. That was the intention. And also the quick, cheap and lazy band aid fix instead of doing it properly. As has been discussed time and time and time again.
It has, but, that doesn't make it wrong. EPCOT will never be again, that much we do know. However, if even small parts of it can be saved by creating a reason, other then getting drunk, to go to Epcot.. then I fail to see how that is a negative. Perhaps not as positive as some might like to see, but, certainly not something to be constantly put down as wrong. The old EPCOT was gone quite a while ago for many reasons and you know that probably better then anyone else.

I will agree the brighter light thing was rather simplistic, but, it is a much more vague decision as to which is the most naive viewpoint. Do you really believe that a different version of a Norway travelog would all of a sudden become the most popular thing or even close to what Frozen has done for the overall positive view of Norway authentic or not? Cause I do not. This is not 1983.

jt04

So I take this to mean that the Coco overlay is going to happen, but will be incredibly unsubstantial and will offer almost nothing that is truly new (in other words, swap out the screens, call it a day). Am I on the mark here?

Clearly this would be for promotional purposes. Anything more substantial would depend on how the film does.

Shocked people still don't see how this works.

Goofyernmost

Apparently band-aid fixes are considered "a massive improvement" by some. :rolleyes:

Take off the Disney-branded MAGICAL!!! glasses and look at what FEA actually is - an attempt by TDO to get something Frozen-based into an attraction. It wasn't well-thought out, it wasn't well-planned, it was a complete and total rush-job by TDO so they could make money off of Frozen, too. And that's the problem with most of what TDO has done over the past 20 years - Too many short-sighted rush-jobs and not enough well-thought out plans.

And @Goofyernmost, you really want to bring up the original Imagination ride and Horizons? They were 100x more imaginative and in-line with Disney excellence than what replaced them. I don't have a problem with changes at theme parks. What I have a problem with is changes done just for the sake of change. Had Maelstrom run its course? Undoubtedly. Did they have to replace it with something "Frozen"-themed? Not really, but it's acceptable for the pavilion. But instead of doing something new and well-thought out and well-planned, TDO gave us FEA instead, an IP shoe-horned and shoved into an existing attraction with the same ride system and mostly the same track. An attraction whose sole purpose, one could argue, is to keep people busy for hours standing in lines (Surely you don't think that TDO didn't anticipate huge crowds for a "Frozen" attraction, do you?) so they don't realize how bad the rest of the park has become. And if people spend money on souvenirs and movie merchandise after the ride, well that's just the icing on the proverbial cake.
Never once said that what replaced them was better, though I do think that Mission: Space was much more fun. Just because what came after wasn't worth the gun powder to blow it to hell, doesn't mean that the original had maintained it's draw. It hadn't, that genre had run it's course and not even the cleverest of imagineers were able to accept that. It was no longer in demand. Yes, I loved it while it was there, but, I also had gotten quite bored of it by the time it was gone. Now for nostalgia purposes I would like to see it again, but, I would be happy if it were just quality ride video's to kick start the old memories.

Some point in time we are going to have to admit the Disney Imagineers along with Disney Management (both) are no longer capable of creating a new IP and accepting that it might just take off. Especially in a permanent build that they are stuck with for an extended amount of time. They can do movies, animated things anything that is easily stored away and maintained if it dies on the vine. What was once possible because it was a new concept, is no longer quickly accepted by the public unless it has been tested ahead of time. In other words, Figment and the Dreamfinder would not fly in todays world.

Goofyernmost

for the record the pavilion was not on its last legs and never has been, its always been popular even though its ride and film needed updating. So many other spots at Epcot qualify for that last legs title that are still being ignored. It was also one of the only pavilions to truly ever have one of "everything".... Ride, movie, exhibit, restaurant, bakery, shop, and playground (at one time).and also at one time a second different film was offered upstairs as part of a free tour.....Its just sad the new content has nothing to do with Norway except the new exteriors next door. But at least there were certain individuals who saw the importance of keeping what was left and added (architecturally anyway) as the Norway pavilion and retaining aspects and Norwegian cast. It could have gone a very different route.
How do you know that anymore then I have the popularity numbers to back up it's "last legs" position. It is speculation on both our parts. I don't know about you, but, I do remember when it opened and it was crowded. I also remember its decline over the years. Has everyone forgotten the condition of the Polar Bears on the ride, dirty and looking like a road side carnival ride at the end. I'm not buying that it was all that popular in comparison to some of the others. To me it always felt dark and gloomy. To others maybe not, but, one thing that I think we can all agree on is if the place had been holding it's own and as immensely popular as you state it would not have been touched. It has been decades since Disney ended and upgraded something that had an undeniable ROI.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Figment and the Dreamfinder would not fly in todays world.
They certainly would if done correctly. As we've seen with say Splash t
Not yet, but if it does happen then probably.

Goofyernmost

It certainly isn't. As I've said time and again thank god the EPCOT Center of then isn't here today with no updates.

But it doesn't mean they couldn't make an equivalent of that park for today's audiences - and importantly expectations. Not a Magic Kingdoms step sister.
Well, we have to agree to disagree on that. I think todays audience is a whole lot different then it was back then and not necessarily higher quality. I don't think the even a re-imagined EPCOT would work today. To short of an attention span and no thirst for knowledge that cannot be found on any hand held device that even 5 year olds have today. It is that different in my opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Clearly this would be for promotional purposes. Anything more substantial would depend on how the film does.

Shocked people still don't see how this works.
You're wrong again. Any makeover would be well after the films release.

The Empress Lilly

Well, we have to agree to disagree on that. I think todays audience is a whole lot different then it was back then and not necessarily higher quality. I don't think the even a re-imagined EPCOT would work today. To short of an attention span and no thirst for knowledge that cannot be found on any hand held device that even 5 year olds have today. It is that different in my opinion.
I think today's youngsters are very educated and aware and thirsting for anything authentic. They'd lap up an EPCOT that caters to their environmentalism (The Land, Seas), sustainability (Energy), communIcation addiction (SSE), and the current mobility revolution on our doorstep (a fleet of shared self-driving 'cars' ordered from a mobile device, perfect for WoM). EPCOT and its themes are nowhere near a spend force, for the younger generations even less than for the older.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh, what a great pixie duster comeback to 7 words of a post (that apparently hit home)... Please, tell me where I can go to get a massive injection of pixie dust so I can consider everything Disney does to be the greatest and bestest and most MAGICAL!!! things ever.

You're doing it again.

The rest of your post had put forth some coherent points, but it was buried by first name-calling people who disagreed with you.

And after calling you out on that, you double down by calling me a pixie duster. Again, characterizing anyone who disagrees with you as self-deluded.

Any valid points you may make are lost with ad hominem attacks. And just because a lot of other jack mules throw around the same term doesn't make it right.

Kman101

I think today's youngsters are very educated and aware and thirsting for anything authentic. They'd lap up an EPCOT that caters to their environmentalism (The Land, Seas), sustainability (Energy), communIcation addiction (SSE), and the current mobility revolution on our doorstep (a fleet of shared self-driving 'cars' ordered from a mobile device, perfect for WoM). EPCOT and its themes are nowhere near a spend force, for the younger generations even less than for the older.

Yep. I would love to like this more than once.

Didn't someone from Epcot even say about Flower and Garden or Food and Wine that the younger generation has a thirst for learning how to grow their own things. Or something along those lines. Um ... hello executives!

An updated Epcot Center would be just as impressive as the park it used to be.

And a return to the Dreamfinder/Figment of the original would work. I've already stated they missed the boat with their syngery on this one.

Haymarket2008

The original Journey Into Imagination and Horizons were some of the most influential and amazing attractions around the Disney parks. Maelstrom doesn't get that kind of recognition because it was a useless and boring ride that only drew people in because it was regarded as the first "thrill ride" in Epcot before Test Track and the now defunct Body Wars came along. We have bigger and much better things to go on now, Maelstrom had it's painfully long life.

Maelstrom was hardly useless. An attraction centered around the mythos, ancient history, and landscape of Norway is quite educational. It wasn't perfect but it definitely had substance. Much more than quite a lot of the modern offerings.

Goofyernmost

We will. I'd like to think TWDC wouldn't be so desperate as not to always try to cater to the lowest common denominator.
That is a very noble desire, however, not being a charity they without a doubt will go the direction that will assure their survival, not just hope for it. Unlike the Disney of old that didn't have a lot to lose, todays Disney does indeed have that plus a lot of investors to answer too. That lowest common denominator is exactly who their main source of income comes from. If nothing else has been proven this year, todays wealth has a very large number of low denominator members.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom