Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Luxe

I went on FEA for the first time last month with 3 very enthusiastic Frozen fans. They reacted exactly as I expected. First ride through they loved it, they loved seeing the characters from a movie they really enjoyed. Second time they enjoyed it but not nearly as much as the first time. By the third ride through(these happened over a week or so, not in one day) they started to not enjoy the ride, mentioning that it was a bit boring without any substance and they didn't care to ride it again if the wait was long.

I never once mentioned my thoughts on the ride to give them a chance for an unbiased opinion from their own experiences. It was interesting to see how huge Frozen fans were able to see the shortcomings of the re-skin. One of them actually said they would rather have Maelstrom back. Obviously 3 people isn't the consensus for all guests, but it paints a rather vivid picture in my opinion.

FigmentJedi

They are thinking about turning the mexico pavilion into a attraction based on Pixars upcoming film "Coco"
Coco's at least set in Mexico rather then a "Kingdom of Madeupistan" version of it. Not to mention the Dia de los Muertos stuff that's been present on the ride since El Rio.

If they do proceed, I'd at least like them to find some place to relocate the wonderfully spruced up MMR animatronics besides just sending them to the Archives.

jt04

Can you explain this? I'm not sure how that is possible - unless the remainder of the WS is converted to imaginary countries mined from Disney IP....and if that's your hope, that's terrifying.

It shouldn't be. As some have suggested there are plenty of perfect ip choices. Coco, Poppins, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, etc.

World Showcase can serve many purposes and wear several hats so to speak.

FigmentJedi

It shouldn't be. As some have suggested there are plenty of perfect ip choices. Coco, Poppins, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, etc.

Poppins is the only one of those things you listed besides Coco that would be a half-decent fit. Something that could go exploring old London and the English countryside

IP in World Showcase should be much more then just "Let's make it nu-Fantasyland". You need something more then just "Oh, this Disney fairy tale just happens to be set in the country this pavilion is based on" to justify putting a Disney movie in.

Luxe

Or it could serve as a platform for original IPs that embrace and enhance the culture of the pavilions they reside in.

One really nice fitting hat is better than a bunch of crappy hats that don't fit properly.

jt04

Poppins is the only one of those things you listed besides Coco that would be a half-decent fit. Something that could go exploring old London and the English countryside

IP in World Showcase should be much more then just "Let's make it nu-Fantasyland". You need something more then just "Oh, this Disney fairy tale just happens to be set in the country this pavilion is based on" to justify putting a Disney movie in.

Any attractions in a pavilion should only be one part of it. But again, in my opinion the original WS concept of experiencing new cultures is very dated. The world is so much smaller now. We even have Disney cruise lines and foreign travel now.

HauntedMansionFLA

Changing that to Coco wouldn't have an affect on World Showcase in the terms of bringing more IP in. Mexican already has an IP based attraction with the three caballeros. Adding a new IP based attraction in say Japan would have that affect.
We actually enjoyed the three caballeros this time around. It was the only time during our trip that someone freaked out because someone was cutting in line. We had a good laugh since it delayed the person from getting on the ride an extra 30 seconds.

Macca250

I'll probably be oustricised by many for even thinking this way, however, my favourite part of World Showcase is walking around and taking in the atmosphere; talking to the cast members and sampling what's on offer in the stores and restaurants. The attractions are secondary in this area (no offence to anyone who's a fan of Maelstrom or TAA) but I know a lot of people who visit EPCOT and they don't even make it to WS because they're too busy queueing up for a ride or sticking to their FP+ agendas in FW. And this is a real shame, but it's the new world of theme park goers and WS doesn't offer enough to turn them away from TT or Soarin'.

I was very against the concept of Frozen invading Norway, but having just got back from my latest visit I hardly noticed that anything had changed, aside from a reasonably entertaining boat ride that had appeared at the back of the pavilion (it could go unnoticed if you weren't aware of it) and there was a small section of the pavilion's store that was full of Elsa and Olaf merch. It didn't ruin the experience for me, it actually seemed to be pulling a lot more people into that area of the park. Albeit this may be at the expense of ruining the original vision/purpose of EPCOT which we all support in different ways, but I think there's a new direction for WS that could be a good balance between old and new.

Let's say France were to get a Ratatouille clone from Paris, or the UK were to get an Alice ride or whatever. Yes I agree they may seem irrelevent and don't really promote the cultures of the countries they would be representing. But people would be far more inclined to explore the lagoon and the crowds would be better distributed around the park. And to me if that's what it takes then so be it.

I have fond memories of WDW in the "good old days" just as much as anyone else, but it's totally different beast in the modern age, literally bursting at the seams with people with not enough on offer (whether this is a failure of the WDC is a different argument) and I reckon WS is an area that could be transformed into something that would easily satisfy the new park goers and the more traditional Disney fans.

Kman101

I'll probably be oustricised by many for even thinking this way, however, my favourite part of World Showcase is walking around and taking in the atmosphere; talking to the cast members and sampling what's on offer in the stores and restaurants. The attractions are secondary in this area (no offence to anyone who's a fan of Maelstrom or TAA) but I know a lot of people who visit EPCOT and they don't even make it to WS because they're too busy queueing up for a ride or sticking to their FP+ agendas in FW. And this is a real shame, but it's the new world of theme park goers and WS doesn't offer enough to turn them away from TT or Soarin'.

I was very against the concept of Frozen invading Norway, but having just got back from my latest visit I hardly noticed that anything had changed, aside from a reasonably entertaining boat ride that had appeared at the back of the pavilion (it could go unnoticed if you weren't aware of it) and there was a small section of the pavilion's store that was full of Elsa and Olaf merch. It didn't ruin the experience for me, it actually seemed to be pulling a lot more people into that area of the park. Albeit this may be at the expense of ruining the original vision/purpose of EPCOT which we all support in different ways, but I think there's a new direction for WS that could be a good balance between old and new.

Let's say France were to get a Ratatouille clone from Paris, or the UK were to get an Alice ride or whatever. Yes I agree they may seem irrelevent and don't really promote the cultures of the countries they would be representing. But people would be far more inclined to explore the lagoon and the crowds would be better distributed around the park. And to me if that's what it takes then so be it.

I have fond memories of WDW in the "good old days" just as much as anyone else, but it's totally different beast in the modern age, literally bursting at the seams with people with not enough on offer (whether this is a failure of the WDC is a different argument) and I reckon WS is an area that could be transformed into something that would easily satisfy the new park goers and the more traditional Disney fans.

I understand why many resist the characters in Epcot. I get it, they've done a poor job implementing them so far, but this post help proves it wasn't the end of the world. I'm not saying Frozen was the right choice for Norway, but the hatred for the ride is a bit much even going so far as to make up that the animatronics are herky jerky.

lazyboy97o

Or maybe it is okay if everything does not appeal one group of people that aren't really interested in a themed experience. If people just want more rides, than shoving in franchises is not the only way to accomplish that goal. If people want to see their favorite Disney movies on vacation they should get the Disney Movies Anywhere app.

drizgirl

Or maybe it is okay if everything does not appeal one group of people that aren't really interested in a themed experience. If people just want more rides, than shoving in franchises is not the only way to accomplish that goal. If people want to see their favorite Disney movies on vacation they should get the Disney Movies Anywhere app.

Yeah, more themed experiences in a theme park would just be weird. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How soon can we book our fast passes for Flight of Passage? Ik Pandora World of Avatar opens in the summer but you can get your fastpasses before it opens

Historically, FPs for new attractions aren't made available until after the attraction opens. The first few week or so of the attraction is all stand-by. They never want to be in a position of having tons of people with FPs and having to cancel them because the attraction's opening is delayed by a few days, or weeks.... or months...

Kman101

I agree, but it's also the implementation of the IPs that's the real problem. No one's had an issue with Circle of Life for the decades it's been playing. No one's really all that upset over Caballeros in Mexico (of course some here are but we don't represent the majority, and not saying the majority knows what's best either; what happened to giving us what we didn't know we wanted). Meet and Greets with Baymax and Joy and Sadness isn't the end of the world. Nemo was a missed opportunity. Frozen was a complete mistake, but of course people are going to clamor to it. Why wouldn't they? Doesn't mean it's right for the pavilion or the park. Soarin and Test Track refresh "fit" a little better, but most seem to prefer the previous versions, which didn't. So ... they keep missing the boat even with non IP attractions.

But there's no reason the park can't and shouldn't develop their own IPs. I mean Figment gave them a perfect opportunity for a movie with the comic books and a refresh of the ride that brings it closer to the original version. But nope, that's so far off the list I wonder how old I'll be when they finally get around to it, and even then it's probably a different IP that they have in mind for it.

Goofyernmost

I went on FEA for the first time last month with 3 very enthusiastic Frozen fans. They reacted exactly as I expected. First ride through they loved it, they loved seeing the characters from a movie they really enjoyed. Second time they enjoyed it but not nearly as much as the first time. By the third ride through(these happened over a week or so, not in one day) they started to not enjoy the ride, mentioning that it was a bit boring without any substance and they didn't care to ride it again if the wait was long.

I never once mentioned my thoughts on the ride to give them a chance for an unbiased opinion from their own experiences. It was interesting to see how huge Frozen fans were able to see the shortcomings of the re-skin. One of them actually said they would rather have Maelstrom back. Obviously 3 people isn't the consensus for all guests, but it paints a rather vivid picture in my opinion.
And that would be an normal reaction for everyone! After one eliminates the element of surprise and newness, it never has the same appeal. That is exactly what happened to those other "saintly" rides like Imagination and Horizons. First time, Wow! Second time, Oh,there's something I didn't notice before but otherwise, been there done that! Third time, Been there done that! Multiple times after that... Let's skip that one and see if something is new elsewhere! Hence, along with other reasons, those no longer exist no matter what the wow factor was when it first opened.

I remember a few years back, due to group FP's and luck. I had the opportunity to ride Soarin (one of my favorite attractions) four times in a row. Not only did I miss out on seeing other things because of that one time obsession, I no longer cared to see it again for at least three years. Human nature. That is the very reason why new attractions are or should be built on a regular basis. Nostalgia is only one incentive, there has to be new stimuli, changes to keep the interest up. I hadn't been in Norway for years. I had seen it all numerous times, the same with a lot of World Showcase. Some of the attractions I really enjoy. Attractions like the American Adventure, France, Oh, Canada and even to a lesser degree the boat ride in Mexico still have an interest for me. Maelstrom did not. Nothing happened to Norway other then a massive improvement and more exposure to Norway proper then has happened in years. Yet, it is deemed awful because it isn't the dead pavilion that it had become anymore. Sorry, I see it as a massive improvement and still love the fact that I got to experience the old EPCOT. Nothing in my life is the same as it was 30+ years ago. That is life. Looking backwards is one way to experience life. Looking forward is another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom